Read-Only Files

The files I have written to a CD-RW are read-only. Can I do something to
allow them to be changed? I thought I could use the CD asI would a floppy.
4 answers Last reply
More about read only files

    In news:018EC4CC-D093-4B6D-BCDD-8CAA5D3261FE@microsoft.com,
    hardhatguy <hardhatguy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > The files I have written to a CD-RW are read-only. Can I do
    > something to allow them to be changed? I thought I could use
    > the CD
    > asI would a floppy.

    Only if you use packet-writing software. The native Windows
    CD-writing software doesn't support this.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Files copied to a CD are always "read only". In order to
    modify the files on the CD, copy them back to your hard
    drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Files copied to a CD are always "read only". In order to
    > modify the files on the CD, copy them back to your hard
    > drive.

    That is correct for CD-R. CD-RW should be different (i haven't used CD-RW
    enough to know). On a CD-RW you should be able to change the protection.
    Jim

    Only if they are written with packet writing software. Otherwise, a CDRW is
    treated exactly the same as a CDR.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Files copied to a CD are always "read only". In order to
    >> modify the files on the CD, copy them back to your hard
    >> drive.
    >>
    > That is correct for CD-R. CD-RW should be different (i haven't used CD-RW
    > enough to know). On a CD-RW you should be able to change the protection.
    > Jim

Read Only CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP