Read-Only Files

August 13, 2004 2:09:02 PM

The files I have written to a CD-RW are read-only. Can I do something to
allow them to be changed? I thought I could use the CD asI would a floppy.

More about : read files

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 2:50:33 PM

In news:018EC4CC-D093-4B6D-BCDD-8CAA5D3261FE@microsoft.com,
hardhatguy <hardhatguy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> The files I have written to a CD-RW are read-only. Can I do
> something to allow them to be changed? I thought I could use
> the CD
> asI would a floppy.

Only if you use packet-writing software. The native Windows
CD-writing software doesn't support this.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 4:29:02 PM

Files copied to a CD are always "read only". In order to
modify the files on the CD, copy them back to your hard
drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"hardhatguy" wrote:

| The files I have written to a CD-RW are read-only. Can I do something to
| allow them to be changed? I thought I could use the CD asI would a floppy.
Related resources
August 13, 2004 9:52:49 PM

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o VksHsVgEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Files copied to a CD are always "read only". In order to
> modify the files on the CD, copy them back to your hard
> drive.

That is correct for CD-R. CD-RW should be different (i haven't used CD-RW
enough to know). On a CD-RW you should be able to change the protection.
Jim
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 12:24:58 AM

Only if they are written with packet writing software. Otherwise, a CDRW is
treated exactly the same as a CDR.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/