Cannot host XP "alternate print drivers"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Just wanted to confirm something that seems pretty obvious...

Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host an
XP driver, right?

There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?

TIA,

-Rich
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot host alternate print drivers
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    Seems to me that you should be able to do a local printer on XP with the
    NT printer. No need fo NT to host other drivers, up to XP to send to NT.

    John

    Rich Roller wrote:

    > Just wanted to confirm something that seems pretty obvious...
    >
    > Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host an
    > XP driver, right?
    >
    > There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
    > purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -Rich

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    Yes, that is what I had to end up doing to make it work. But it's really
    nice when a server hosts drivers for all clients... it makes setting up
    client printing a breeze. Thus my original question. -Rich

    "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > Seems to me that you should be able to do a local printer on XP with the
    > NT printer. No need fo NT to host other drivers, up to XP to send to NT.
    >
    > John
    >
    > Rich Roller wrote:
    >
    >> Just wanted to confirm something that seems pretty obvious...
    >>
    >> Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host
    >> an XP driver, right?
    >>
    >> There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
    >> purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> -Rich

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:17:20 -0500, "Rich Roller"
    <rich@*REMOVE-THIS*r2c.com> wrote:

    >Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host an
    >XP driver, right?
    >
    >There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
    >purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?

    I have never tried it myself (the print servers were upgraded before I
    got to testing it), but it seems it should be possible.

    Here are a couple of links I googled up:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263090&
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm

    --
    RoRo
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    Thanks Robert,

    Q263090 is interesting. My server is only setup for "2" and not "3", thus I
    never see Win2k listed under "additional drivers". So perhaps my trick is
    getting this added to my NTS4sp6a box I suppose... I wonder how I get it do
    recognize "3"? Any ideas?

    -Rich

    "Robert Roland" <no.mail@vailable.no> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:17:20 -0500, "Rich Roller"
    > <rich@*REMOVE-THIS*r2c.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host
    >>an
    >>XP driver, right?
    >>
    >>There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
    >>purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?
    >
    > I have never tried it myself (the print servers were upgraded before I
    > got to testing it), but it seems it should be possible.
    >
    > Here are a couple of links I googled up:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263090&
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm
    >
    > --
    > RoRo
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:22:28 -0500, "Rich Roller"
    <rich@*REMOVE-THIS*r2c.com> wrote:

    >Q263090 is interesting. My server is only setup for "2" and not "3", thus I
    >never see Win2k listed under "additional drivers". So perhaps my trick is
    >getting this added to my NTS4sp6a box I suppose... I wonder how I get it do
    >recognize "3"? Any ideas?

    Like I said, I have not tried this myself, so I have no experience to
    share.

    From the descriptions, however, it seems you must manage the XP
    drivers from an XP workstation. I suspect the version 3 folder will be
    created on the server, and also shared from there, even though the XP
    drivers are not visible in the NT4 GUI.

    --
    RoRo

Drivers Windows XP Microsoft Printers Windows