Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot host XP "alternate print drivers"

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 25, 2005 6:17:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Just wanted to confirm something that seems pretty obvious...

Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host an
XP driver, right?

There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?

TIA,

-Rich
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 25, 2005 10:14:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Seems to me that you should be able to do a local printer on XP with the
NT printer. No need fo NT to host other drivers, up to XP to send to NT.

John

Rich Roller wrote:

> Just wanted to confirm something that seems pretty obvious...
>
> Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host an
> XP driver, right?
>
> There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
> purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Rich
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 25, 2005 10:57:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Yes, that is what I had to end up doing to make it work. But it's really
nice when a server hosts drivers for all clients... it makes setting up
client printing a breeze. Thus my original question. -Rich

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
news:o mDKZBZMFHA.2988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Seems to me that you should be able to do a local printer on XP with the
> NT printer. No need fo NT to host other drivers, up to XP to send to NT.
>
> John
>
> Rich Roller wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to confirm something that seems pretty obvious...
>>
>> Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host
>> an XP driver, right?
>>
>> There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
>> purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> -Rich
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 26, 2005 2:39:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:17:20 -0500, "Rich Roller"
<rich@*REMOVE-THIS*r2c.com> wrote:

>Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host an
>XP driver, right?
>
>There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
>purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?

I have never tried it myself (the print servers were upgraded before I
got to testing it), but it seems it should be possible.

Here are a couple of links I googled up:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263090&
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm

--
RoRo
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 26, 2005 2:39:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Thanks Robert,

Q263090 is interesting. My server is only setup for "2" and not "3", thus I
never see Win2k listed under "additional drivers". So perhaps my trick is
getting this added to my NTS4sp6a box I suppose... I wonder how I get it do
recognize "3"? Any ideas?

-Rich

"Robert Roland" <no.mail@vailable.no> wrote in message
news:ttha4158oo6frbe3a7168jr38rum4aibou@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:17:20 -0500, "Rich Roller"
> <rich@*REMOVE-THIS*r2c.com> wrote:
>
>>Under printer properties in NTS4 and "alternate drivers" you cannot host
>>an
>>XP driver, right?
>>
>>There is no other trick to getting an XP driver to reside on NT for the
>>purposes of downloading to an XP client that uses a shared NT printer?
>
> I have never tried it myself (the print servers were upgraded before I
> got to testing it), but it seems it should be possible.
>
> Here are a couple of links I googled up:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263090&
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm
>
> --
> RoRo
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 28, 2005 7:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:22:28 -0500, "Rich Roller"
<rich@*REMOVE-THIS*r2c.com> wrote:

>Q263090 is interesting. My server is only setup for "2" and not "3", thus I
>never see Win2k listed under "additional drivers". So perhaps my trick is
>getting this added to my NTS4sp6a box I suppose... I wonder how I get it do
>recognize "3"? Any ideas?

Like I said, I have not tried this myself, so I have no experience to
share.

From the descriptions, however, it seems you must manage the XP
drivers from an XP workstation. I suspect the version 3 folder will be
created on the server, and also shared from there, even though the XP
drivers are not visible in the NT4 GUI.

--
RoRo
!