Missing WINNT files and folders

I just had a very strange thing happen over the weekend to one of my NT
servers. I tried to log on to it locally, and received a "Profile" error
and couldn't log on. I then did a remote reboot of the server from a
workstation. Upon reboot I got a missing/corrupt file error. I booted to a
"recovery" partition that I have installed on the server, and restored the
missing. I then tried to reboot again and got another missing/corrupt file
error. Again I booted to the "recovery" partition. I noticed that a
significant number of folders and files were missing from the WINNT
directory. I was able to get them all restored from a backup tape. Any
ideas as to what might have happened to these files? The server was running
OK. Apparently it didn't need to access any of the missing files. I
discovered that the files were missing for at least two weeks because they
weren't on the previous two weekly full backups that I had done. Needless
to say I'm a bit concerned that this might happen again!

The drive may have failed. Download and run a diagnostic utility from the
drive manufacturer's web site.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional