Trouble shooting Master Browser issue

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

I have a master browser error filling up my system log.

error # 8003

"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
<machine> that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
transport NetBT_E10001. The master browser is stopping or an election is
being forced."

2 BDC's, 1 XP machine, and 1 win98 machine on the same domain are generating
these errors on the PDC

I have been trying to find info on the microsoft web site and came across
article # 188305 - "Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service"

The above article requires the Microsoft NT 4.0 Resource kit

where might download this as I have been unable to locate it on the
Microsoft web site?

Do you have any more insite than I do as to what may be occurring?

Thanks in advance for tour help

-Bill-
4 answers Last reply
More about trouble shooting master browser issue
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    do a "net stop browser" command on the xp machine. Put it in a bat file in
    startup, too.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    For the Windows NT'ish machines

    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters

    Set all but the pc designated as browse master to

    MaintainServerList = "Auto"
    IsDomainMaster = "False"

    On the win9x machines, Control Panel|Network, then on the "Protocols" tab
    scroll down to "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks, then
    "Properties", then for the "Browse Master" property, choose "Disabled"

    and you'll have no more elections.


    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Bill Parrington" wrote:
    |I have a master browser error filling up my system log.
    |
    | error # 8003
    |
    | "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
    | <machine> that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
    | transport NetBT_E10001. The master browser is stopping or an election is
    | being forced."
    |
    | 2 BDC's, 1 XP machine, and 1 win98 machine on the same domain are
    generating
    | these errors on the PDC
    |
    | I have been trying to find info on the microsoft web site and came across
    | article # 188305 - "Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser
    Service"
    |
    | The above article requires the Microsoft NT 4.0 Resource kit
    |
    | where might download this as I have been unable to locate it on the
    | Microsoft web site?
    |
    | Do you have any more insite than I do as to what may be occurring?
    |
    | Thanks in advance for tour help
    |
    | -Bill-
    |
    |
    |
    |
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks,

    a little more info: I have 100+ machines on this network. most are 9x. I
    have 5 servers (1 pdc and 4 bdc's, also 2 XP work stations) This problem
    started recently - there have been no global mods to the network. will I need
    to set these entries on all the machines? Do you what would cause this now,
    as the network has been running happy for months? I have performed the usual
    patches, spyware checks, and virus scans and have come up with nothing
    unusual. And lastly where may I obtain the resource kit referenced in the
    microsoft article? It is apparent I will need it someday.

    once again thanks for your help

    -Bill-


    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > For the Windows NT'ish machines
    >
    > HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
    >
    > Set all but the pc designated as browse master to
    >
    > MaintainServerList = "Auto"
    > IsDomainMaster = "False"
    >
    > On the win9x machines, Control Panel|Network, then on the "Protocols" tab
    > scroll down to "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks, then
    > "Properties", then for the "Browse Master" property, choose "Disabled"
    >
    > and you'll have no more elections.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Bill Parrington" wrote:
    > |I have a master browser error filling up my system log.
    > |
    > | error # 8003
    > |
    > | "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
    > | <machine> that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
    > | transport NetBT_E10001. The master browser is stopping or an election is
    > | being forced."
    > |
    > | 2 BDC's, 1 XP machine, and 1 win98 machine on the same domain are
    > generating
    > | these errors on the PDC
    > |
    > | I have been trying to find info on the microsoft web site and came across
    > | article # 188305 - "Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser
    > Service"
    > |
    > | The above article requires the Microsoft NT 4.0 Resource kit
    > |
    > | where might download this as I have been unable to locate it on the
    > | Microsoft web site?
    > |
    > | Do you have any more insite than I do as to what may be occurring?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance for tour help
    > |
    > | -Bill-
    > |
    > |
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Check the recently added machine's registry entries (especially the win9x
    machines)

    Here's a link to a page where you can download the NetBIOS Browsing Console
    and the NetBIOS Browsing Console Agent
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=818092

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Bill Parrington" wrote:
    | Thanks,
    |
    | a little more info: I have 100+ machines on this network. most are 9x. I
    | have 5 servers (1 pdc and 4 bdc's, also 2 XP work stations) This problem
    | started recently - there have been no global mods to the network. will I
    need
    | to set these entries on all the machines? Do you what would cause this
    now,
    | as the network has been running happy for months? I have performed the
    usual
    | patches, spyware checks, and virus scans and have come up with nothing
    | unusual. And lastly where may I obtain the resource kit referenced in the
    | microsoft article? It is apparent I will need it someday.
    |
    | once again thanks for your help
    |
    | -Bill-
Ask a new question

Read More

Browsers Microsoft Windows