Trouble shooting Master Browser issue

I have a master browser error filling up my system log.

error # 8003

"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
<machine> that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
transport NetBT_E10001. The master browser is stopping or an election is
being forced."

2 BDC's, 1 XP machine, and 1 win98 machine on the same domain are generating
these errors on the PDC

I have been trying to find info on the microsoft web site and came across
article # 188305 - "Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service"

The above article requires the Microsoft NT 4.0 Resource kit

where might download this as I have been unable to locate it on the
Microsoft web site?

Do you have any more insite than I do as to what may be occurring?

Thanks in advance for tour help

-Bill-

do a "net stop browser" command on the xp machine. Put it in a bat file in
startup, too.

For the Windows NT'ish machines

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters

Set all but the pc designated as browse master to

MaintainServerList = "Auto"
IsDomainMaster = "False"

On the win9x machines, Control Panel|Network, then on the "Protocols" tab
scroll down to "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks, then
"Properties", then for the "Browse Master" property, choose "Disabled"

and you'll have no more elections.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bill Parrington" wrote:
|I have a master browser error filling up my system log.
|
| error # 8003
|
| "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
| <machine> that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
| transport NetBT_E10001. The master browser is stopping or an election is
| being forced."
|
| 2 BDC's, 1 XP machine, and 1 win98 machine on the same domain are
generating
| these errors on the PDC
|
| I have been trying to find info on the microsoft web site and came across
| article # 188305 - "Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser
Service"

| The above article requires the Microsoft NT 4.0 Resource kit
|
| where might download this as I have been unable to locate it on the
| Microsoft web site?
|
| Do you have any more insite than I do as to what may be occurring?
|
| Thanks in advance for tour help
|
| -Bill-

Thanks,

a little more info: I have 100+ machines on this network. most are 9x. I
have 5 servers (1 pdc and 4 bdc's, also 2 XP work stations) This problem
started recently - there have been no global mods to the network. will I need
to set these entries on all the machines? Do you what would cause this now,
as the network has been running happy for months? I have performed the usual
patches, spyware checks, and virus scans and have come up with nothing
unusual. And lastly where may I obtain the resource kit referenced in the
microsoft article? It is apparent I will need it someday.

once again thanks for your help

-Bill-

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> For the Windows NT'ish machines
>
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
>
> Set all but the pc designated as browse master to
>
> MaintainServerList = "Auto"
> IsDomainMaster = "False"
>
> On the win9x machines, Control Panel|Network, then on the "Protocols" tab
> scroll down to "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks, then
> "Properties", then for the "Browse Master" property, choose "Disabled"
>
> and you'll have no more elections.
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Bill Parrington" wrote:
> |I have a master browser error filling up my system log.
> |
> | error # 8003
> |
> | "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
> | <machine> that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
> | transport NetBT_E10001. The master browser is stopping or an election is
> | being forced."
> |
> | 2 BDC's, 1 XP machine, and 1 win98 machine on the same domain are
> generating
> | these errors on the PDC
> |
> | I have been trying to find info on the microsoft web site and came across
> | article # 188305 - "Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser
> Service"
> |
> | The above article requires the Microsoft NT 4.0 Resource kit
> |
> | where might download this as I have been unable to locate it on the
> | Microsoft web site?
> |
> | Do you have any more insite than I do as to what may be occurring?
> |
> | Thanks in advance for tour help
> |
> | -Bill-

Check the recently added machine's registry entries (especially the win9x
machines)

Here's a link to a page where you can download the NetBIOS Browsing Console
and the NetBIOS Browsing Console Agent
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=818092

--

"Bill Parrington" wrote:
| Thanks,
|
| a little more info: I have 100+ machines on this network. most are 9x. I
| have 5 servers (1 pdc and 4 bdc's, also 2 XP work stations) This problem
| started recently - there have been no global mods to the network. will I
need
| to set these entries on all the machines? Do you what would cause this
now,
| as the network has been running happy for months? I have performed the
usual
| patches, spyware checks, and virus scans and have come up with nothing
| unusual. And lastly where may I obtain the resource kit referenced in the
| microsoft article? It is apparent I will need it someday.
|
| once again thanks for your help
|
| -Bill-

TRENDING THREADS