Codecs installed, or not?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

All,

I've been trying to solve a "missing codec" problem but have observed the
following. I use the Control Panel to disable _ALL_ codecs and reboot. But
I find that I still seem to be able to play many, allegedly compressed,
audio files.

So, how is Windows NT managing without any Codecs, or am I missing something
subtle?

Cheers,
Paul DS
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Calvin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

Hi Paul,

Can you give some file type extensions as examples ? Raw PCM formats (eg: wav)
do not require a codec, other types are played back using Direct Show filters or
similar, which may not show up in the codec listing on the machine.

The other problem I find is that NT4's reporting of what is actually install is
far from complete. It may be worth getting yourself of GSpot (
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot252dl.html V2.52b01 is current) and check
out the real situation using the 'System > List Codecs and Other Filters..'
function provided. This gives a far better indication of what is REALLY going on.

Calvin.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

Calvin,

Thanks for the response. I figured out what was going in. The DSP Group
website implies that they have two versions of each sound clip, one raw WAV
and the other encoded using their TrueSpeech codec.

In fact the latter is _not_ TrueSpeech encoded, rather it is a raw WAV file,
presumable of a WAV file that has been encoded into TrueSpeech and then
decoded back into WAV. So I didn't need the TrueSpeech codec to play this
second file!

Having now used a second machine to actually create a real TrueSpeech file,
I've confirmed that the TrueSpeech codec is installed on my machine and
working fine.

Thanks for your help though,
Paul DS.

TRENDING THREADS