Who is using my audio?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

All,

I have a program X that claims "some other process is using the audio on
your PC so I can't" - is there a simple way to find out which process this
is? Clearly it's not obvious otherwise I'd have found it ;-). Of course it
may be program X lying, but due-diligence means I should at least take a
look.

Cheers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

Download a copy of process explorer from Sysinternals.
Use to find the process that is using your audio:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

"Paul D.Smith" <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> wrote in message news:

> All,
>
> I have a program X that claims "some other process is using the audio on
> your PC so I can't" - is there a simple way to find out which process this
> is? Clearly it's not obvious otherwise I'd have found it ;-). Of course
it
> may be program X lying, but due-diligence means I should at least take a
> look.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul DS.
>
> --
> Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

Thanks for the pointer. I found this application but did not appreciate
that it could do all that I needed.

Paul DS.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:e73zvPrOFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Download a copy of process explorer from Sysinternals.
> Use to find the process that is using your audio:
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml
>
> "Paul D.Smith" <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> wrote in message news:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I have a program X that claims "some other process is using the audio on
> > your PC so I can't" - is there a simple way to find out which process
this
> > is? Clearly it's not obvious otherwise I'd have found it ;-). Of
course
> it
> > may be program X lying, but due-diligence means I should at least take a
> > look.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Paul DS.
> >
> > --
> > Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

Have you tried it? It really does work.
Keep in mind the error you are receiving
could have nothing to do with a process
but a problem with hardware or device
driver.
Good Luck.

"Paul D.Smith" <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> wrote in message news:.
> Thanks for the pointer. I found this application but did not appreciate
> that it could do all that I needed.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

Michael,

I tried it last night but I'm afraid I'm a little lost. In order to get
some idea what might be going on I ran "Sound Recorder" and tried to figure
out what it was using. Clearly it uses the audio system and codecs but I
didn't manage to fathom out what of all the information in front of meant
indicated "Sound Recorder is using the audio system".

Got any hints? If this requires mammoth effort then don't rush. This is
part of my effort to get Yahoo! Messenger working on my Windows NT machine
and last night I discovered to an older version (v5.5 instead of v5.6 or
v6.0) worked enough for what I wanted so its clearly a Y!M problem rather
than NT. However knowing how to diagnose this sort of problem might be
useful in the future.

message news:%23YPSZ8tOFHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...