winxp installation problems

absolom

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Hello, I hope someone outthere can help me.
Just bought a new pc without a harddrive, thought I could use my old one
it´s a 82 gb ibm deskstar, about 4 years old.

My new system is
athlon 62 3200+
1024 ram
motherboard asus A8N5X
powercolor 800gt

Everything except the harddrive was installed by the store.
I now install my hdd and install xp sp2. After the installation xp says to take out all disks from drives and then restarts. Now comes the problem.
Now xp dont starts, it just says insert another disk, boot disk.

I have installed the newest bios but still the same problem.

What to do?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
When you did the XP install, were you walked through partitioning and formatting?
Did you choose NTFS?
Did the install seemingly go flawlessly?
Or, were there glitches?

On the first boot (near the end of the install), did you leave the CD in? And then have to choose between booting from the CD or the hd?

Answer these questions for me so I can assess any issues not revealed in your initial post.

In the meantime, you might try booting with the XP CD; make believe you will do another install; you will eventually be offered to do a repair. Choose this and do a boot repair. Chances are you will have to start over, and I have some things for you to do before you re-install. Get back to us.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Jesse, if the CD is empty, shouldn't the boot process proceed to the next in order?

Absolom, if you know how to get into your Bios, go to the Boot page - and then boot priority, and tell us what you see. Try what Jesse suggests.

absolom

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I have tried different things but nothing works.
I did do a format and partitioning with ntfs, both fast and standard partitioning. The installation did go flawlessly, no problems at all.

Did change boot selection to 1. HDD 2. CD after the instalaltion of win xp.

Thought that my HDD had broken but I took it out and installed it on another PC without problems (even installed xp and it run without problems), I even put the HDD with the new xp installation and put it in my new computer but still the same message,
put a boot disc in.

absolom

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Scenario 1. Bios boot setup. First CD then HDD drive.
PC boots from XP win cd without problems, I select my c: drive and partition it with ntfs. Files beeing copied to HDD without problems.
Take out disks and then restart PC. I take out cd from drive (even tried once to let it be in the drive) and restart PC. I go in Bios and change boot setup to HDD first, then CD. Restart again and XP dont start.
Message says, no boot disk, insert disc.

Scenario 2. Take the HDD out and install XP via another PC, put it back in on my new PC, same message as earlier.

Scenario 3. Did a bootdisk in xp and booted with it, on the dos prompt I couldnt find my c: drive when I typed c:. My computer couldnt find it in dos mode but in the XP setup it did, ?????

pat

Expert
Scenario 1. Bios boot setup. First CD then HDD drive.
PC boots from XP win cd without problems, I select my c: drive and partition it with ntfs. Files beeing copied to HDD without problems.
Take out disks and then restart PC. I take out cd from drive (even tried once to let it be in the drive) and restart PC. I go in Bios and change boot setup to HDD first, then CD. Restart again and XP dont start.
Message says, no boot disk, insert disc.

Scenario 2. Take the HDD out and install XP via another PC, put it back in on my new PC, same message as earlier.

Scenario 3. Did a bootdisk in xp and booted with it, on the dos prompt I couldnt find my c: drive when I typed c:. My computer couldnt find it in dos mode but in the XP setup it did, ?????

Don't expect DOS to view a NTFS HDD. Second, did you leave a floppy in the drive after installation? Third, are sure that you are not using cable select, but rather master/slave if it can be applied to your situation..

absolom

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I Didnt have a disc in my floppy drive and HDD set as master 15 pins.
I also have 16 pins but dont know what that is?