Wireless PCI card installation on Windows NT

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • PCI
  • Windows NT
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 4:54:02 PM

I have a Uniden Wireless PCI card which works great with my Windows XP.

when I put the card in a PC which has WINDOWS NT ruuning, the card does not
work at all. The system does not even recoganize the card. I tried to put the
card in diffrent slot and still the same problem. However if I put a PCI
Network card in the same slot, it works great. so the slot is not a problem
and even the wirelss PCI card is not a problem since it works perfect in
another computer.

In the WInodws NT system I have nothing other than the hard drive, CD drive
and floppy drive.

What could be the problem? Is it clashing with some other IRQ in the
machine? how do I find out.

Please cna any one suggest me

thanks

More about : wireless pci card installation windows

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 5:30:54 PM

NT is very picky about drivers. It is NOT a plug and play system so it will
not just detect the device. You will have to manually add the drivers and
hardware through the Add/Remove Hardware option in Control Panel. You need
to check the manufacturers website to see if they provide drivers for
Windows NT. If they do not your probably out of luck.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Rags" <Rags@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Uniden Wireless PCI card which works great with my Windows XP.
>
> when I put the card in a PC which has WINDOWS NT ruuning, the card does
> not
> work at all. The system does not even recoganize the card. I tried to put
> the
> card in diffrent slot and still the same problem. However if I put a PCI
> Network card in the same slot, it works great. so the slot is not a
> problem
> and even the wirelss PCI card is not a problem since it works perfect in
> another computer.
>
> In the WInodws NT system I have nothing other than the hard drive, CD
> drive
> and floppy drive.
>
> What could be the problem? Is it clashing with some other IRQ in the
> machine? how do I find out.
>
> Please cna any one suggest me
>
> thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 9:06:47 PM

There is no Add/Remove Hardware option in Control Panel on Windows NT.
Windows NT is not plug and play. Use the manufacturer's Windows NT install
routine or Control Panel|Network|Adapters|Add

Make sure you're error free in Event Viewer before installing and after the
adapter install is complete. Then be sure to reapply your current service
pack.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Rags" wrote:
|I have a Uniden Wireless PCI card which works great with my Windows XP.
|
| when I put the card in a PC which has WINDOWS NT ruuning, the card does
not
| work at all. The system does not even recoganize the card. I tried to put
the
| card in diffrent slot and still the same problem. However if I put a PCI
| Network card in the same slot, it works great. so the slot is not a
problem
| and even the wirelss PCI card is not a problem since it works perfect in
| another computer.
|
| In the WInodws NT system I have nothing other than the hard drive, CD
drive
| and floppy drive.
|
| What could be the problem? Is it clashing with some other IRQ in the
| machine? how do I find out.
|
| Please cna any one suggest me
|
| thanks

a b F Wireless
April 12, 2005 6:46:36 PM

Sorry about that Add/Remove Hardware....wasn't looking directly at a NT box
;)

--

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> There is no Add/Remove Hardware option in Control Panel on Windows NT.
> Windows NT is not plug and play. Use the manufacturer's Windows NT install
> routine or Control Panel|Network|Adapters|Add
>
> Make sure you're error free in Event Viewer before installing and after
> the
> adapter install is complete. Then be sure to reapply your current service
> pack.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Rags" wrote:
> |I have a Uniden Wireless PCI card which works great with my Windows XP.
> |
> | when I put the card in a PC which has WINDOWS NT ruuning, the card does
> not
> | work at all. The system does not even recoganize the card. I tried to
> put
> the
> | card in diffrent slot and still the same problem. However if I put a PCI
> | Network card in the same slot, it works great. so the slot is not a
> problem
> | and even the wirelss PCI card is not a problem since it works perfect in
> | another computer.
> |
> | In the WInodws NT system I have nothing other than the hard drive, CD
> drive
> | and floppy drive.
> |
> | What could be the problem? Is it clashing with some other IRQ in the
> | machine? how do I find out.
> |
> | Please cna any one suggest me
> |
> | thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 12, 2005 8:20:29 PM

No problem. Getting harder and harder to remember. :)

--

"Scott Harding" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Sorry about that Add/Remove Hardware....wasn't looking directly at a NT
box
| ;)
|
| --
| Scott Harding