Wireless PCI card installation on Windows NT

I have a Uniden Wireless PCI card which works great with my Windows XP.

when I put the card in a PC which has WINDOWS NT ruuning, the card does not
work at all. The system does not even recoganize the card. I tried to put the
card in diffrent slot and still the same problem. However if I put a PCI
Network card in the same slot, it works great. so the slot is not a problem
and even the wirelss PCI card is not a problem since it works perfect in
another computer.

In the WInodws NT system I have nothing other than the hard drive, CD drive
and floppy drive.

What could be the problem? Is it clashing with some other IRQ in the
machine? how do I find out.

Please cna any one suggest me

thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless card installation windows

    NT is very picky about drivers. It is NOT a plug and play system so it will
    not just detect the device. You will have to manually add the drivers and
    hardware through the Add/Remove Hardware option in Control Panel. You need
    to check the manufacturers website to see if they provide drivers for
    Windows NT. If they do not your probably out of luck.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Rags" <Rags@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Uniden Wireless PCI card which works great with my Windows XP.
    >
    > when I put the card in a PC which has WINDOWS NT ruuning, the card does
    > not
    > work at all. The system does not even recoganize the card. I tried to put
    > the
    > card in diffrent slot and still the same problem. However if I put a PCI
    > Network card in the same slot, it works great. so the slot is not a
    > problem
    > and even the wirelss PCI card is not a problem since it works perfect in
    > another computer.
    >
    > In the WInodws NT system I have nothing other than the hard drive, CD
    > drive
    > and floppy drive.
    >
    > What could be the problem? Is it clashing with some other IRQ in the
    > machine? how do I find out.
    >
    > Please cna any one suggest me
    >
    > thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    There is no Add/Remove Hardware option in Control Panel on Windows NT.
    Windows NT is not plug and play. Use the manufacturer's Windows NT install
    routine or Control Panel|Network|Adapters|Add

    Make sure you're error free in Event Viewer before installing and after the
    adapter install is complete. Then be sure to reapply your current service
    pack.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Rags" wrote:
    |I have a Uniden Wireless PCI card which works great with my Windows XP.
    |
    | when I put the card in a PC which has WINDOWS NT ruuning, the card does
    not
    | work at all. The system does not even recoganize the card. I tried to put
    the
    | card in diffrent slot and still the same problem. However if I put a PCI
    | Network card in the same slot, it works great. so the slot is not a
    problem
    | and even the wirelss PCI card is not a problem since it works perfect in
    | another computer.
    |
    | In the WInodws NT system I have nothing other than the hard drive, CD
    drive
    | and floppy drive.
    |
    | What could be the problem? Is it clashing with some other IRQ in the
    | machine? how do I find out.
    |
    | Please cna any one suggest me
    |
    | thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Sorry about that Add/Remove Hardware....wasn't looking directly at a NT box
    ;)

    --

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > There is no Add/Remove Hardware option in Control Panel on Windows NT.
    > Windows NT is not plug and play. Use the manufacturer's Windows NT install
    > routine or Control Panel|Network|Adapters|Add
    >
    > Make sure you're error free in Event Viewer before installing and after
    > the
    > adapter install is complete. Then be sure to reapply your current service
    > pack.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Rags" wrote:
    > |I have a Uniden Wireless PCI card which works great with my Windows XP.
    > |
    > | when I put the card in a PC which has WINDOWS NT ruuning, the card does
    > not
    > | work at all. The system does not even recoganize the card. I tried to
    > put
    > the
    > | card in diffrent slot and still the same problem. However if I put a PCI
    > | Network card in the same slot, it works great. so the slot is not a
    > problem
    > | and even the wirelss PCI card is not a problem since it works perfect in
    > | another computer.
    > |
    > | In the WInodws NT system I have nothing other than the hard drive, CD
    > drive
    > | and floppy drive.
    > |
    > | What could be the problem? Is it clashing with some other IRQ in the
    > | machine? how do I find out.
    > |
    > | Please cna any one suggest me
    > |
    > | thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    No problem. Getting harder and harder to remember. :)

    --

    "Scott Harding" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Sorry about that Add/Remove Hardware....wasn't looking directly at a NT
    box
    | ;)
    |
    | --
    | Scott Harding
    | MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    | Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    No doubt ;)

    --

    > No problem. Getting harder and harder to remember. :)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Scott Harding" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | Sorry about that Add/Remove Hardware....wasn't looking directly at a NT
    > box
    > | ;)
    > |
    > | --
    > | Scott Harding