"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:O39Yd.65561$Qz1.35759@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> Another secret place that should be easy to recognize.
>
> http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05105/where-am-i-02.jpg
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Ohh, that's easy. That's in Amsterdam at the Damraak. Phew Bob, that's
veeery close to the Red Light District....... ;-)
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Oskar Wagner wrote:
> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Another secret place that should be easy to recognize.
>>
>>http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05105/where-am-i-02.jpg
>>--
>>
>>boB
>>
>>U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>>Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
>>

> Ohh, that's easy. That's in Amsterdam at the Damraak. Phew Bob, that's
> veeery close to the Red Light District....... ;-)

AAAKKKK, I was hoping no one would notice. :) And, where was it that
they smoked the "medicinal" MJ?????? Could someone point it out, for a
friend of mine... :)

Actually I'm kidding. I joined the Army right out of High School and
was lighting up the sky in a Cobra and I wasn't old enough to drink. A
Pilot that did drugs had a short career so I was never around drugs. I
don't even know what the difference is between hash and MJ (can't spell
it). If I knew where to get it I believe I would try it instead of the
Vicodin and Methadone they have me on now. It couldn't be worse and
might even work.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"boB" wrote:

Hi boB,

> AAAKKKK, I was hoping no one would notice. :) And, where was it that they
> smoked the "medicinal" MJ?????? Could someone point it out, for a friend
> of mine... :)

Don't they do that all around the world?

> Actually I'm kidding. I joined the Army right out of High School and was
> lighting up the sky in a Cobra and I wasn't old enough to drink. A Pilot
> that did drugs had a short career so I was never around drugs. I don't
> even know what the difference is between hash and MJ (can't spell it). If
> I knew where to get it I believe I would try it instead of the Vicodin and
> Methadone they have me on now. It couldn't be worse and might even work.

Why do you have to take Vicodin and/or Methadone? As a painkiller?
Marijuana is not a painkiller, more a sedative. Since MJ let your physical
body be more sensitive to all irritations and stimulations, it could rise
the
pain much.

I've heard about cancer-patients, who reports a relief after taking MJ, but
i could not agree with this, after a selft-test. ;-)

Best wishes,
Jan

The white marble pillar is the Dam monument. Made in remembrance of those
who fell during WWII.
Every year, on the 4th of May we have a ceremony there (and in all other
cities).

Gerard

(Nice idea boB, a new meaning to virtual tourism and virual flying these
quizzes)

"Gerard Verhoef" <Gerard_Verhoef@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The white marble pillar is the Dam monument. Made in remembrance of those
> who fell during WWII.
> Every year, on the 4th of May we have a ceremony there (and in all other
> cities).
>
> Gerard

And if he had got a few inches closer it would have been an 'ex' marble
pillar!

Chris

> And if he had got a few inches closer it would have been an 'ex' marble
> pillar!
>
> Chris
LOL

I doubt that,

knowing the Amsterdam inhabitants it's not unlikely that the pillar would
have knocked the chopper out of action (after giving it the middlefinger of
course).

Gerard

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:05:11 GMT, boB wrote:

> Oskar Wagner wrote:
>> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>>>Another secret place that should be easy to recognize.
>>>
>>>http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05105/where-am-i-02.jpg
>>
>> Ohh, that's easy. That's in Amsterdam at the Damraak. Phew Bob, that's
>> veeery close to the Red Light District....... ;-)
>

> AAAKKKK, I was hoping no one would notice. :) And, where was it that
> they smoked the "medicinal" MJ?????? Could someone point it out, for a
> friend of mine... :)

Well...I didn't recognize the Rijks Museum (mostly because I don't remember
ever seeing a crevis near it <g>), but the monument on the Dam Square
sticks out like a sore thumb.
I think I live in one of the few cities on this planet where war heroes and
casualties are honored at the foot of a phallic-shaped monument. :)

--

Marcel
(Any landing you walk away from, wasn't done by Melissa! <g>)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Gerard Verhoef wrote:
> The white marble pillar is the Dam monument. Made in remembrance of those
> who fell during WWII.
> Every year, on the 4th of May we have a ceremony there (and in all other
> cities).
>
> Gerard
>
> (Nice idea boB, a new meaning to virtual tourism and virual flying these
> quizzes)

When I go exploring I turn off the autogen completely. I figure
whatever's left must have some history. So far, so good. :)

Thanks for telling me about the Dam Monument. Now it means a bit more.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Hi Dart,

Wasn't it Helen of Troy whose face launched a thousand ships?

Regards,
John Ward
"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

dallas

"boB"
> I joined the Army right out of High School and
> was lighting up the sky in a Cobra

Yo boB... how did that work?

I know that during WWII they put any one that wanted to fly into the
"system" and began the process of "washing out" all but the best.

But after the war, I thought you had to be an officer to get into flight
school... and most officers come out of college ROTC.

Dallas

Choppers were flown by enlisted men...

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:32:10 -0800, Lawn Dart wrote:

> Without wishing to get into a deep philosophical flame war concerning
> human political/military endeavors just now, I might still feel the
> urge to mention that a phallic-shaped monument may not be such an
> inappropriate symbol in this regard! ;-)

You're partially right.
A lot of civilians are among those casualties
But that monument does remind us of the guy who started that war. :)

> <ducking and covering, just in case!>

No need. You're protected by your gender. ;-)

--

Marcel
(That's no moon...it's a space station!)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> "boB"
>
>>I joined the Army right out of High School and
>>was lighting up the sky in a Cobra
>

> Yo boB... how did that work?
>
> I know that during WWII they put any one that wanted to fly into the
> "system" and began the process of "washing out" all but the best.
>
> But after the war, I thought you had to be an officer to get into flight
> school... and most officers come out of college ROTC.
>
> Dallas

Sheeeet Dali, That was when being a pilot in Vietnam had a half life,
well yea, a half life. they needed replacements quick. :)

Actually I had nothing to do with it. I enlisted and took the tests. I
wanted to fly as a gunner on a Huey. I wanted to shoot things. After the
tests the recruiter told me I didn't have to ride in one, I could fly
one. Then he pulled out a large poster of a Cobra in a high speed dive
firing rockets, fire everywhere. I was hooked. I never thought for once
that it was HARD to fly helicopters. But while I didn't solo first, I
did solo before half of the class did so I guess I did OK. There was a
day not long after starting flight school where I said I had enough.
coming back to find all the drawers pulled out with all our neatly
folded underwear all over the place. And you never had time to do
anything and were always receiving demerits. So one day I said Screw
it! (actually it was f&^& it) and started down the hall to resign.
Before I got to the TAC office I could hear someone getting their head
chewed off about something so I thought, "I'll quit tomorrow" I thought
that every day until one day I was surprised that I had finished, had
wings and was going to fly Cobras. You just had to put the bullsh1t
aside and just go on every day.

A note about Vietnam. It took a year to finish flight school. 6 months
at Ft Wolters Texas and 6 more at Ft Rucker AL. By the time I graduated
they were "de-escalating" the war. By the time I got orders everyone was
pulling out. Oh Well.

As for school, the Army then paid me to go full time to school
(Embry-Riddle University) to get my degree.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lakeview Bill wrote:

> Choppers were flown by enlisted men...

Negative.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

crash

Lakeview Bill wrote:
> As I was responding to the statement:

As I was responding to the statement "choppers were flown by enlisted men",
that would have gotten the same response as "choppers were flown by
maggots".. It just hit a raw nerve...
FWIW, personally I never saw anything flown in the Navy that didn't have a
commisioned officer behind the wheel.
Warrant officers are/were a rank unto themselves, between a non-commissioned
officer and a commissioned officer, and, like the forgotten rank of
commadore, usually only seen in wartime. The Army seemed to be the biggest
fan of the rank, to generate enough cannon fodder for Nam - I think chopper
driver was the most hazardous job on the planet in 'the bad ole days'. At
least that's how it used to be, may have changed in the last 40 years, or
so............
Although rare, I've known enlisted men with college degrees and commisioned
officers with none..

> So kindly take it elsewhere, troll.

I've been called many things, but troll is a first...
Ah well, could have been VARMIT I suppose........ d:->))

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:13:46 GMT, Lakeview Bill wrote:

> As I was responding to the statement: "But after the war, I thought you had
> to be an officer to get into flight school... and most officers come out of
> college ROTC" it is the entire point.

When I was in the Army (1961-65), it was more common to find Warrant
Officers flying the helos...

Bill

Please visit this site:

http://www.flyarmy.org/panel/PANEL34W.HTM

You will find quite a few Warrant Officers listed as pilots. To my
understanding, they are considered enlisted men, as opposed to officers.

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Lakeview Bill wrote:
>
> > Choppers were flown by enlisted men...
> >

> Negative.
>
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

dallas

"boB"
> As for school, the Army then paid me to go full time to school
> (Embry-Riddle University) to get my degree.

Cool.. gotta hand it to the US Army for making you "All that you can be.."

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lakeview Bill wrote:

> As I was responding to the statement: "But after the war, I thought you had
> to be an officer to get into flight school... and most officers come out of
> college ROTC" it is the entire point.

The officers attending flight school.... I still see red when thinking
about them. They had none of the harassment we had. Well, maybe they
already went through it. The lived in apartments and drew extra money
because they were away from their unit. These guys bought Corvettes,
Porches and whatever with all that extra money.

When I went to flight school I was a E-5 pay grade, which was equivalent
to a Sergent. It was OK, just not as much as the Lieutenants.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

CRaSH wrote:

> As I was responding to the statement "choppers were flown by enlisted men",
> that would have gotten the same response as "choppers were flown by
> maggots".. It just hit a raw nerve...
> FWIW, personally I never saw anything flown in the Navy that didn't have a
> commisioned officer behind the wheel.
> Warrant officers are/were a rank unto themselves, between a non-commissioned
> officer and a commissioned officer, and, like the forgotten rank of
> commadore, usually only seen in wartime. The Army seemed to be the biggest
> fan of the rank, to generate enough cannon fodder for Nam - I think chopper
> driver was the most hazardous job on the planet in 'the bad ole days'. At
> least that's how it used to be, may have changed in the last 40 years, or
> Although rare, I've known enlisted men with college degrees and commisioned
> officers with none..

Yep, it's still the same.......

--

boB