DVD Drive recommendation?

16 answers Last reply
More about drive recommendation

    Any DVD drive will work, however, some software is easier to use than
    others. Nero is good if you have Windoz XP. Check which software comes with
    which drive. If you buy a used one at a used parts store like REPC
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/repc/ you can save a few bucks IF you get the
    software!
    If you decide to go big bucks and get a DVD burner (which will also burn
    CDs) you need to make sure you can return the drive if you get compatablilty
    issues.
    But you already knew that.

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    Melissa -

    If you don't need the capability of burning DVD's I'd recommend the
    A-Open 1648/AAP as one of the best DVD-ROM drives available. It would
    replace your CD-ROM and you could still burn CD's on the existing CD-RW. If
    you want to also burn DVD's (and don't forget you can store 4.5GB of data on
    the DVD - they're not just for movies - and the DVD burners also burn CD's)
    I'd look at either the Plextor 708A or Plextor 712SA. (The 708A is getting
    hard to find and it's slower than the current drives, but it's almost
    legendary in it's ability to burn error-free discs). And for burning either
    CD's or DVD's I'd recommend either Ritek media for all-around "stuff" or
    Taiyo Yuden media if you have something that you really need to archive. Two
    good-and-proven on-line sellers are www.newegg.com for the hardware and
    www.supermedia.com for the blank media. I use both the Plextor and A-Open
    drives and the Ritek and Taiyo Yuden media and have burned over 2000 blanks
    with only four "coasters". I think that speaks well for the quality of both
    the hardware and the media.

    Doug

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    Ditto here... I have the Plextor 712A, and it performs almost flawless.

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."

    Oops - that's www.supermediastore.com for the media.

    ---------------------------------------

    "Doug" <Doug@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > Melissa -
    >
    > If you don't need the capability of burning DVD's I'd recommend the
    > A-Open 1648/AAP as one of the best DVD-ROM drives available. It would
    > replace your CD-ROM and you could still burn CD's on the existing CD-RW.
    > If you want to also burn DVD's (and don't forget you can store 4.5GB of
    > data on the DVD - they're not just for movies - and the DVD burners also
    > burn CD's) I'd look at either the Plextor 708A or Plextor 712SA. (The 708A
    > is getting hard to find and it's slower than the current drives, but it's
    > almost legendary in it's ability to burn error-free discs). And for
    > burning either CD's or DVD's I'd recommend either Ritek media for
    > all-around "stuff" or Taiyo Yuden media if you have something that you
    > really need to archive. Two good-and-proven on-line sellers are
    > www.newegg.com for the hardware and www.supermedia.com for the blank
    > media. I use both the Plextor and A-Open drives and the Ritek and Taiyo
    > Yuden media and have burned over 2000 blanks with only four "coasters". I
    > think that speaks well for the quality of both the hardware and the media.
    >
    > Doug

    > "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    May wish to consider a Firewire or USB2.0, external, DVD burner. When you
    next upgrade you computer system, it will still work with the new system and
    you can omit a DVD burner in the new system and add more RAM with the
    savings. Another benefit is being able to use it with another desktop
    computer or laptop.

    Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:28:31 -0800

    Any DVD drive will work, however, some software is easier to use
    than others. Nero is good if you have Windoz XP. Check which
    software comes with which drive. If you buy a used one at a used
    parts store like REPC http://shop.store.yahoo.com/repc/ you can
    save a few bucks IF you get the software!

    Also if you are running Windows XP, you don't need any CD-DVD burning
    software. As it sports built in support.

    If you decide to go big bucks and get a DVD burner (which will also
    burn CDs) you need to make sure you can return the drive if you get
    compatablilty issues. But you already knew that.

    This is something you might to consider Melissa. As a DVD+RW (notice the
    plus and not the dash), sports what they call what I believe is lossless
    linking. Thus you will never ever burn a CD or a DVD that you can't
    later read! Very important! All DVD+RW drives uses this technology. As
    it is part of the DVD+ standard. I will never again use a regular CD
    burner after using DVD+RW to burn CDs. As there are too much problems
    with gaps left on the CD from standard CD burners.

    Bill

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just realized something. It seems that if I want to purchase the
    > MegaScenery Pacific Northwest package, I'll need a DVD drive, as the
    > software comes on a DVD. Currently, I just have one CD-ROM and one
    > CD/RW drive.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent DVD drive? I'll also want to be able to
    > still burn regular audio/mp3 and data CDs.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > - --
    > Melissa

    DVD burners are getting faster and cheaper by the minute. There are no bad
    drives for sale as far as I know. Software is indeed an issue. I read in a
    trustworthy -magazine here in The Netherlands that Nero has an OEM version
    that ships with some burners but that version cannot burn dvd's, only cd's.
    I was very surprised reading that, for Nero makes good software. So make
    sure the software is adequate.

    Gerard

    > I read in a trustworthy -magazine here in The Netherlands that Nero has an
    > OEM version that ships with some burners but that version cannot burn
    > dvd's, only cd's. I was very surprised reading that, for Nero makes good
    > software. So make sure the software is adequate.
    >
    > Gerard

    I have a CD-DVD Burner that came with Nero OEM 5.5.10. No problem burning
    CDs, and it burns both DVD+ and DVD- systems. There is no difference in
    quality between "+" en "-". It's just 2 different stanadards. Most burners
    will be able to burn both standards depending on the disk that you buy.
    However, it does not copy DVD's. I understand that the later version 6 can
    copy, but there is no need to uopgrade since there are plenty freeware
    programmes available that will make copies, like "DVD Shrink".

    I would suggest to look at the burning speed: 40 for CD and 8 for DVD seems
    to be the minimum standard now for reasonably priced CD-DVD burners."
    Henk

    "Henk" <ngein.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a CD-DVD Burner that came with Nero OEM 5.5.10. No problem burning
    > CDs, and it burns both DVD+ and DVD- systems. There is no difference in
    > quality between "+" en "-". It's just 2 different stanadards. Most burners
    > will be able to burn both standards depending on the disk that you buy.
    > However, it does not copy DVD's. I understand that the later version 6 can
    > copy, but there is no need to uopgrade since there are plenty freeware
    > programmes available that will make copies, like "DVD Shrink".
    >
    > I would suggest to look at the burning speed: 40 for CD and 8 for DVD
    > seems to be the minimum standard now for reasonably priced CD-DVD
    > burners."
    > Henk

    Henk (and others of course),

    I googled the article I read. You can find it here:
    http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=74346/contentid=546595/sc=5919bf

    It mentions Nero OEM version 6, not able to burn dvd's. The article is in
    Dutch, but Henk sounds pretty Dutch to me.

    Gerard

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just realized something. It seems that if I want to purchase the
    >> MegaScenery Pacific Northwest package, I'll need a DVD drive, as the
    >> software comes on a DVD. Currently, I just have one CD-ROM and one
    >> CD/RW drive.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a decent DVD drive? I'll also want to be able to
    >> still burn regular audio/mp3 and data CDs.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> - --
    >> Melissa

    Hi Melissa

    In a current UK magazine the NEC ND-3500A and a LG GSA4163B are both highly
    recommended; the latter is very recent and easily beat a Philips DVDR1620
    and Plextor PX-716A in tests. You have to question the model numbers used by
    companies! I'm assuming thay are universal!

    Chris

    I use a HP dvd writer dvd300i here. And it has never burned a bad copy yet.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    > I googled the article I read. You can find it here:
    > http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=74346/contentid=546595/sc=5919bf
    >
    > It mentions Nero OEM version 6, not able to burn dvd's. The article is in
    > Dutch, but Henk sounds pretty Dutch to me.

    Interesting article,Gerard. I also heard that sometimes Nero requires the
    purchase of addtional plugins. But it does not change my statement. The
    "standard" Nero quickly burns data on DVD and CD, and makes audio CD's from
    mp3 files very well. And for copying complete DVD's there are sufficient
    free alternatives available. Actually DVD Shrink requires the presence of a
    burning programme like Nero to function fully.

    Henk

    "Chris Curtis" <chris@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > In a current UK magazine the NEC ND-3500A and a LG GSA4163B are both
    > highly recommended; the latter is very recent and easily beat a Philips
    > DVDR1620 and Plextor PX-716A in tests. You have to question the model
    > numbers used by companies! I'm assuming thay are universal!
    >
    > Chris

    I bought the NEC ND-3500AG a few months ago for 65 euros and am very happy
    with it. Top speed, no fuss, no mis-burns so far (I didn't need software)

    Gerard

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:49:13 +0100, "Henk" <ngein.nospam@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I would suggest to look at the burning speed: 40 for CD and 8 for DVD seems
    >to be the minimum standard now for reasonably priced CD-DVD burners.

    This reminds me of the CD-ROM drive on my ancient Win3.1 machine
    (486DX266 - 8MB RAM). I had to pay extra to get a double speed CD
    drive!

    James

    Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:04:47 -0800

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Here's something I found for
    what seems like a decent price ($60 USD at newegg.com), with good
    reviews on the site from several people:

    <<< Snip >>>

    Does this look like a good choice?

    Hi Melissa... Well according to those to own them, they like this one.
    That definitely looks like a good sign if you ask me.

    In one of the reviews, someone said: "Be sure to get the patched
    firmware for Autobit setting..." Could someone please tell me what
    this is? Is it something I would really need?

    I'm not sure what that is all about. But my guess it has something to do
    with 16x support.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

PGP DVD Drives Video Games