DVD Drive recommendation?

Any DVD drive will work, however, some software is easier to use than
others. Nero is good if you have Windoz XP. Check which software comes with
which drive. If you buy a used one at a used parts store like REPC
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/repc/ you can save a few bucks IF you get the
software!
If you decide to go big bucks and get a DVD burner (which will also burn
CDs) you need to make sure you can return the drive if you get compatablilty
issues.
But you already knew that.

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

Melissa -

If you don't need the capability of burning DVD's I'd recommend the
A-Open 1648/AAP as one of the best DVD-ROM drives available. It would
replace your CD-ROM and you could still burn CD's on the existing CD-RW. If
you want to also burn DVD's (and don't forget you can store 4.5GB of data on
the DVD - they're not just for movies - and the DVD burners also burn CD's)
I'd look at either the Plextor 708A or Plextor 712SA. (The 708A is getting
hard to find and it's slower than the current drives, but it's almost
legendary in it's ability to burn error-free discs). And for burning either
CD's or DVD's I'd recommend either Ritek media for all-around "stuff" or
Taiyo Yuden media if you have something that you really need to archive. Two
good-and-proven on-line sellers are www.newegg.com for the hardware and
www.supermedia.com for the blank media. I use both the Plextor and A-Open
drives and the Ritek and Taiyo Yuden media and have burned over 2000 blanks
with only four "coasters". I think that speaks well for the quality of both
the hardware and the media.

Doug

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

Ditto here... I have the Plextor 712A, and it performs almost flawless.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Oops - that's www.supermediastore.com for the media.

---------------------------------------

"Doug" <Doug@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> Melissa -
>
> If you don't need the capability of burning DVD's I'd recommend the
> A-Open 1648/AAP as one of the best DVD-ROM drives available. It would
> replace your CD-ROM and you could still burn CD's on the existing CD-RW.
> If you want to also burn DVD's (and don't forget you can store 4.5GB of
> data on the DVD - they're not just for movies - and the DVD burners also
> burn CD's) I'd look at either the Plextor 708A or Plextor 712SA. (The 708A
> is getting hard to find and it's slower than the current drives, but it's
> almost legendary in it's ability to burn error-free discs). And for
> burning either CD's or DVD's I'd recommend either Ritek media for
> all-around "stuff" or Taiyo Yuden media if you have something that you
> really need to archive. Two good-and-proven on-line sellers are
> www.newegg.com for the hardware and www.supermedia.com for the blank
> media. I use both the Plextor and A-Open drives and the Ritek and Taiyo
> Yuden media and have burned over 2000 blanks with only four "coasters". I
> think that speaks well for the quality of both the hardware and the media.
>
> Doug

> "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

May wish to consider a Firewire or USB2.0, external, DVD burner. When you
next upgrade you computer system, it will still work with the new system and
you can omit a DVD burner in the new system and add more RAM with the
savings. Another benefit is being able to use it with another desktop
computer or laptop.

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:28:31 -0800

Any DVD drive will work, however, some software is easier to use
than others. Nero is good if you have Windoz XP. Check which
software comes with which drive. If you buy a used one at a used
parts store like REPC http://shop.store.yahoo.com/repc/ you can
save a few bucks IF you get the software!

Also if you are running Windows XP, you don't need any CD-DVD burning
software. As it sports built in support.

If you decide to go big bucks and get a DVD burner (which will also
burn CDs) you need to make sure you can return the drive if you get
compatablilty issues. But you already knew that.

This is something you might to consider Melissa. As a DVD+RW (notice the
plus and not the dash), sports what they call what I believe is lossless
linking. Thus you will never ever burn a CD or a DVD that you can't
later read! Very important! All DVD+RW drives uses this technology. As
it is part of the DVD+ standard. I will never again use a regular CD
burner after using DVD+RW to burn CDs. As there are too much problems
with gaps left on the CD from standard CD burners.

Bill

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I just realized something. It seems that if I want to purchase the
> MegaScenery Pacific Northwest package, I'll need a DVD drive, as the
> software comes on a DVD. Currently, I just have one CD-ROM and one
> CD/RW drive.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent DVD drive? I'll also want to be able to
> still burn regular audio/mp3 and data CDs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - --
> Melissa

DVD burners are getting faster and cheaper by the minute. There are no bad
drives for sale as far as I know. Software is indeed an issue. I read in a
trustworthy -magazine here in The Netherlands that Nero has an OEM version
that ships with some burners but that version cannot burn dvd's, only cd's.
I was very surprised reading that, for Nero makes good software. So make
sure the software is adequate.

Gerard

> I read in a trustworthy -magazine here in The Netherlands that Nero has an
> OEM version that ships with some burners but that version cannot burn
> dvd's, only cd's. I was very surprised reading that, for Nero makes good
> software. So make sure the software is adequate.
>
> Gerard

I have a CD-DVD Burner that came with Nero OEM 5.5.10. No problem burning
CDs, and it burns both DVD+ and DVD- systems. There is no difference in
quality between "+" en "-". It's just 2 different stanadards. Most burners
will be able to burn both standards depending on the disk that you buy.
However, it does not copy DVD's. I understand that the later version 6 can
copy, but there is no need to uopgrade since there are plenty freeware
programmes available that will make copies, like "DVD Shrink".

I would suggest to look at the burning speed: 40 for CD and 8 for DVD seems
to be the minimum standard now for reasonably priced CD-DVD burners."
Henk

"Henk" <ngein.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a CD-DVD Burner that came with Nero OEM 5.5.10. No problem burning
> CDs, and it burns both DVD+ and DVD- systems. There is no difference in
> quality between "+" en "-". It's just 2 different stanadards. Most burners
> will be able to burn both standards depending on the disk that you buy.
> However, it does not copy DVD's. I understand that the later version 6 can
> copy, but there is no need to uopgrade since there are plenty freeware
> programmes available that will make copies, like "DVD Shrink".
>
> I would suggest to look at the burning speed: 40 for CD and 8 for DVD
> seems to be the minimum standard now for reasonably priced CD-DVD
> burners."
> Henk

Henk (and others of course),

I googled the article I read. You can find it here:
http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=74346/contentid=546595/sc=5919bf

It mentions Nero OEM version 6, not able to burn dvd's. The article is in
Dutch, but Henk sounds pretty Dutch to me.

Gerard

>> Hi,
>>
>> I just realized something. It seems that if I want to purchase the
>> MegaScenery Pacific Northwest package, I'll need a DVD drive, as the
>> software comes on a DVD. Currently, I just have one CD-ROM and one
>> CD/RW drive.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a decent DVD drive? I'll also want to be able to
>> still burn regular audio/mp3 and data CDs.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - --
>> Melissa

Hi Melissa

In a current UK magazine the NEC ND-3500A and a LG GSA4163B are both highly
recommended; the latter is very recent and easily beat a Philips DVDR1620
and Plextor PX-716A in tests. You have to question the model numbers used by
companies! I'm assuming thay are universal!

Chris

I use a HP dvd writer dvd300i here. And it has never burned a bad copy yet.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

> I googled the article I read. You can find it here:
> http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=74346/contentid=546595/sc=5919bf
>
> It mentions Nero OEM version 6, not able to burn dvd's. The article is in
> Dutch, but Henk sounds pretty Dutch to me.

Interesting article,Gerard. I also heard that sometimes Nero requires the
purchase of addtional plugins. But it does not change my statement. The
"standard" Nero quickly burns data on DVD and CD, and makes audio CD's from
mp3 files very well. And for copying complete DVD's there are sufficient
free alternatives available. Actually DVD Shrink requires the presence of a
burning programme like Nero to function fully.

Henk

"Chris Curtis" <chris@nospam.net> wrote in message
> In a current UK magazine the NEC ND-3500A and a LG GSA4163B are both
> highly recommended; the latter is very recent and easily beat a Philips
> DVDR1620 and Plextor PX-716A in tests. You have to question the model
> numbers used by companies! I'm assuming thay are universal!
>
> Chris

I bought the NEC ND-3500AG a few months ago for 65 euros and am very happy
with it. Top speed, no fuss, no mis-burns so far (I didn't need software)

Gerard

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:49:13 +0100, "Henk" <ngein.nospam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I would suggest to look at the burning speed: 40 for CD and 8 for DVD seems
>to be the minimum standard now for reasonably priced CD-DVD burners.

This reminds me of the CD-ROM drive on my ancient Win3.1 machine
(486DX266 - 8MB RAM). I had to pay extra to get a double speed CD
drive!

James

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:04:47 -0800

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Here's something I found for
what seems like a decent price ($60 USD at newegg.com), with good
reviews on the site from several people:

<<< Snip >>>

Does this look like a good choice?

Hi Melissa... Well according to those to own them, they like this one.
That definitely looks like a good sign if you ask me.

In one of the reviews, someone said: "Be sure to get the patched
firmware for Autobit setting..." Could someone please tell me what
this is? Is it something I would really need?

I'm not sure what that is all about. But my guess it has something to do
with 16x support.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000