Upgrading memory, ideas?

I am planning on upgrading my system. currently got an Asus A8N SLI mobo, with 2x512Mb of OCZ DDR400. I plan on replacing my proc (Athlon64 3500) with an X2 4400, and upgrading the ram with 2x1gig sticks of OCZ. does anyone forsee problems running the 2x512's with 2x 1gig's assuming I keep the matched pairs on the correct channels, making a total of 3gigs of RAM?
Thanks in advance!
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrading memory ideas
  1. Well the cpu you got is nice realy i wish i had it.. (the 3500)
    The ocz memory is super i own some.

As Far as i know running 3gb dual channel like that is possible, someone jump in if im rong..
  2. Well the cpu you got is nice realy i wish i had it.. (the 3500)
    The ocz memory is super i own some.

As Far as i know running 3gb dual channel like that is possible, someone jump in if im rong..
  3. Well shata isn't wrong about the DC but filling all 4 dimms will make your ram run a 2t command rate. Which is a performance hit. First off 2GB will only give you a small 1-3% boost....3GB wont do poo for you. Sell the 512 sticks to a buddy, keep your 1T command rate and only use 2 dimms.

Whats your PSU?

Are you going to OC at all?
  4. yup, OCing is in my cards. my water cooling system is down atm bc I need new 1/2" tubing and connectors thou (that and my old gpu waterblock doesnt work on my new vid card).
    my current PSU is a Antec Trueblue 480 which I plan on upgrading if only for the support of the PCI-E 6 pin connectors and the 24pin mobo connector. I am using adapters now and it works, but I would like the added amperage on the 12V rail and the true no kidding 24pin mobo connector and 6 pin PCI express power connectors.
    thanks for the feedback!
  5. If you are OCing get the Opteron 170...it should get 3Ghz on air...so with water maybe 3.2...dual core.

Do you have two gpu's?

Get this....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103512

SLI certified, true 24pin, and its a great brand, great price.
  6. after some looking around and pricing, i decided with the opteron. was curious at first as to why a superior looking processor was cheaper than the mainstream chip, but guess it is a good thing for enthusiasts. picked up the new PS, memory (OCZ gamer gold 2Gig, good latency, high capacity, stable, and have had good luck with them in the past), and the 170. think I will try out the whole 1T vs 2T before I yank the 1G I have in there now. FRAPS still a good program to use since WoW and EQ2 (memory PIG!) dont seem to have a good FPS measuring utility? figured I have the 1G now, might as well fiddle with it and see how it does. :)

with the memory I got I should be able to get the 170 to 2.5Ghz and keep the advertised ratings while keeping the gate at 1:1...
    would sell one of yas the old proc but getting it to ya might be a problem with my loc, shipping up here sux. :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt RAM OCZ Memory Systems