shell32.dll

mc

hello,
can the version 4.0 shell32.dll be updated to version 4.70 or later. my
system mechanic5 program has a need for it.
I'm using nt 4.0 workstation.
thanks mc

Bruce

mc wrote:
> hello,
> can the version 4.0 shell32.dll be updated to version 4.70 or later. my
> system mechanic5 program has a need for it.
> I'm using nt 4.0 workstation.
> thanks mc

The short answer is "Yes".

However, I'm not sure how you do this. I have version 4.0.1381.33564
which was installed when I installed security update MS04-024.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-024.mspx

This security update would have installed version 4.72.3841.1100 if my
computer had "Active Desktop" installed.

I don't know what "Active Desktop" is or how you install it. From
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216840 it
appears to be something installed by Internet Explorer.

I hope this helps.

Bruce

mc

Thanks for the info,
apparently active desktop is part of internet explorer 4.0 which is also
called a shell integrated browser. So maybe I need to reinstall ie 4.0????
thanks mc
"Bruce" <bns_robson@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> mc wrote:
>> hello,
>> can the version 4.0 shell32.dll be updated to version 4.70 or later. my
>> system mechanic5 program has a need for it.
>> I'm using nt 4.0 workstation.
>> thanks mc
>
> The short answer is "Yes".
>
> However, I'm not sure how you do this. I have version 4.0.1381.33564 which
> was installed when I installed security update MS04-024.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-024.mspx
>
> This security update would have installed version 4.72.3841.1100 if my
> computer had "Active Desktop" installed.
>
> I don't know what "Active Desktop" is or how you install it. From
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216840 it appears
> to be something installed by Internet Explorer.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Bruce

Bruce

mc wrote:

> Thanks for the info,
> apparently active desktop is part of internet explorer 4.0 which is also
> called a shell integrated browser. So maybe I need to reinstall ie 4.0????
> thanks mc

Microsoft say that to install "Windows Desktop Update" that includes
"Active Desktop" you need to
1) Uninstall any later version of Internet Explorer
2) Install Internet Explorer 4.x
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q165695

This also says that Microsoft have removed Internet Explorer 4.x from
their websites.
http://www.petri.co.il/install_active_desktop_on_nt_40.htm lists some
Microsoft CDs that contain IE 4.x and also some other surgestions.

I hope that the CD for system mechanic5 contains IE 4.x as it requires
shell32.dll version 4.70 or later and that it just wasn't installed as
you already had a later version of IE.

Bruce

Calvin

Hi MC,

Have a look at this page http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/desktop.htm - pay special
attention to my remarks about 'Active Desktop' - VERY BAD IDEA.

It should be possible to manually 'upgrade' your shell32.dll to a suitable
version. My system (Workstation 4.0 + SP6a + Hotfixes) is currently running
shell32.dll V4.0.1381.7267

It is possible that when you do 'update' shell32, the programme will then
complain about another 'out of date' dll etc.. etc.. This is a REALLY ANNOYING
feature of a lot of software written today that naturally assumes that everyone
has IE installed - I got news for 'em - some of us have enough brains to AVOID
IE like the plague !

Calvin

mc

thanks Calvin, I guess I will not rush into this. I have IE 5.5 on my
machine and I've installed the last critical updates from microsoft. I now
have 4 shell32.dll's showing in my files, but all are version 4.0. I wonder
if there is a way to manually extract version 4.7 from somwhere? I was
considering running the ieak6.exe that Bruce had listed on his 2nd URL?????
mc
"Calvin" <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Hi MC,
>
> Have a look at this page http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/desktop.htm - pay
> special attention to my remarks about 'Active Desktop' - VERY BAD IDEA.
>
> It should be possible to manually 'upgrade' your shell32.dll to a suitable
> version. My system (Workstation 4.0 + SP6a + Hotfixes) is currently
> running shell32.dll V4.0.1381.7267
>
> It is possible that when you do 'update' shell32, the programme will then
> complain about another 'out of date' dll etc.. etc.. This is a REALLY
> ANNOYING feature of a lot of software written today that naturally assumes
> that everyone has IE installed - I got news for 'em - some of us have
> enough brains to AVOID IE like the plague !
>
> Calvin

Calvin

Hi MC,

I've done a manual extract of files from places like the IEAKs before. Winzip or
similar can usually get the package and the enclosed cabinets open to let you
search for and manually extract a file.

Calvin.

mc

Does anyone know if one of the shell32's can be transferred from XP to
NT??? There is a whole bunch of them....

Calvin wrote:

> Hi MC,
>
> Have a look at this page http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/desktop.htm - pay special
> attention to my remarks about 'Active Desktop' - VERY BAD IDEA.

Hi Calvin, Hi MC,

I do not completely agree that installing the shell update ("Active Desktop") is
(always) a bad idea.
There are really a lot of disaster reports - but I did it myself on an NT4WS
(due to the same problem - I needed a shell32 v4.7x) - and had only two minor
problems that could rather easily be fixed.

However, the MS recommended way seems to be the only reasonable one:
First I tried to upgrade only as few as possible (there are some "tricks"
described in the WWW) but this *did* really harm the system (couldn't boot
anymore!!!).
So I restored it, unistalled IE6, reapplied SPs/HotFixes, installed IE4SP2
(SP2!!!), reapplied SPs/HotFixes (including those for the "new" shell),
reinstalled IE6SP1 (and HotFixes).
Then I installed TweakUI and disabled most of the new shell's features (except
the nice taskbar extensions) and it worked.
Yes, I got very disappointing BSODs in the beginning. But they were caused by an
improper service (a SCSI controller wasn't present anymore) that seemed to be
more tolarated by the old than by the new shell.
Secondly, some desktop settings vanished from time to time until next
logon/reboot. This was very annoying and I was close to remove the shell update
again. The reason for this was the MS 'User Profile Hive Cleanup Service' that
seems not to work properly ont NT4 with the shell update. I disabled the service
and this machine runs rock solid since then. There is really a pretty number of
software bundles out that do not run unless "upgrading" to the "new" shell.
It's a shame but it's the truth.
On the other hand you are right: You shouldn't try it if there is no need to.
But if you try go the straight way.

> It should be possible to manually 'upgrade' your shell32.dll to a suitable
> version.

No, I'm afraid not (except by installing the shell update of IE4).

My system (Workstation 4.0 + SP6a + Hotfixes) is currently running
> shell32.dll V4.0.1381.7267

That's the latest v4.0x version; the latest v4.7x version for NT4 is
4.72.3841.1100 (if there is a newer one, let me know).

> It is possible that when you do 'update' shell32, the programme will then
> complain about another 'out of date' dll etc.. etc.. This is a REALLY ANNOYING
> feature of a lot of software written today that naturally assumes that everyone
> has IE installed - I got news for 'em - some of us have enough brains to AVOID
> IE like the plague !

It's really annoying. But concerning the shell32 it's not really IE who's to
blame.
The shell32 v4.7 has got new API calls that are not supported by th 4.0 version.
If you go and remove the "big" shell from Win98 ( http://www.litepc.com/ )
you'll run into exactly the same problems, no matter which version of IE is
installed. I've did it once for a friend of mine who was really happy with this
faster Win98 - until the day a software complained about the missing call in
shell32...

btw: IEradicator from http://www.litepc.com/ is also a really cool tool to get
rid of IE (eg if you want to go back to an older version, it's not officially
supported for NT4, but it worked for me).

To sum up:
Avoid the shell update if you can
If you can't: find IE4SP2 and install it, reapply all updates again
Be prepared to run into troubles (backup!)
Do *not* only replace shell32/explorer by the new version or by an .inf file -
it won't work!
Disable active desktop (it's only part of the shell update that can seperatetely
be disabled - eq by TweakUI) and other unneeded rubbish ...
Cross you fingers...

Stephan

mc

Thanks for all the input everyone, I was just informed that this download
might do the trick....

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-037

Any feedback is appreciated, since I'm using nt 4.0 workstation....
thanks mc
"mc" <wcwall.awm@verizon.net> wrote in message
> hello,
> can the version 4.0 shell32.dll be updated to version 4.70 or later. my
> system mechanic5 program has a need for it.
> I'm using nt 4.0 workstation.
> thanks mc

Calvin

Hi MC,

I just had a look at the package provided for MS04-037 - the version of
shell32.dll provided in this package is 4.0.1381.7267 - obviously how I got this
version onto my machine - this was the last hotfix to change the shell32 version.

I don't think this hotfix will get you the version you require - I suspect your
only hope to get V4.7 or greater shell32.dll will be an extraction from an IE
install package.

Calvin.

lee

mc wrote:
> Thanks for all the input everyone, I was just informed that this
download
> might do the trick....
>
> Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-037
>
> Any feedback is appreciated, since I'm using nt 4.0 workstation....
> thanks mc
> "mc" <wcwall.awm@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > hello,
> > can the version 4.0 shell32.dll be updated to version 4.70 or
later. my
> > system mechanic5 program has a need for it.
> > I'm using nt 4.0 workstation.
> > thanks mc

It would be best to run that update after you sort out which version of
shell32.dll you want to run. You have two choices here, to run with
Active Desktop Update (high version 4.72) or without. To install the
Active Desktop Update all one has to do is to reinstall ie. That's
right, it's that simple - just run ie setup again and the second time
around the Active Desktop Update gets installed. View Active Setup
Log.txt file for finer details of current condition.

ie setup will need the cab file below in order to install 4.72
shell32.dll with Active Desktop Update. Put it in your ie installation
files folder and run iesetup.exe. This same file is used for ie 4 thru
ie 6.00 SP2 but those earlier direct download locations have been
removed, this one is still active, so get it here.
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/{D1A1E38D-EEA2-4e9b-B33F-7204E7C0E674}/ie6sp1/x86/en/IE4SHLNT.CAB

If you don't have it on hand, ie setup may try to contact the servers
directly and depending on which ie version you are running you may or
may not find a valid file there. If not, then ie reinstall would fail
to install the Active Desktop Update for you. If the file is found
locally, ie setup shouldn't need to dial out and get it no matter what
version you are running. I don't recall if you even posted your ie
version...

mc

Thanks Lee,
I have version 5.5, and I already ran the update. I wonder if it makes any
difference if I should uninstall ie and then re-install?
mc