Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Notice to PR, Dallas, etc.

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:22:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dreamfleet's A-36 is ready for download for $24.95. Just thought you guys
might be interested. Bill

More about : notice dallas

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:22:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Bill Fenley <billfenley@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Dreamfleet's A-36 is ready for download for $24.95. Just thought you guys
> might be interested. Bill

Thank you, Bill.

I just downloaded it, purchased it, and installed it. Reining in my
excitement, I forced myself to read the accompanying "Orientation" PDF
before launching the sim and test flying it.

However, I am now experiencing a crash-to-desktop after the flight begins
to load. :( 


--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
March 12, 2005 7:51:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"pr"
> However, I am now experiencing a crash-to-desktop after the flight begins
> to load.


Classic demonstration of Murphy's Law:

The more you want something to work... the lower the chances it will.



Dallas
Related resources
March 12, 2005 7:53:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"pr"
> However, I am now experiencing a crash-to-desktop after the flight begins
> to load.


Have you tried loading the default Cessna, switching to the 2-D cockpit,
then load the Bo into it?

Dallas
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:53:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> "pr"
>> However, I am now experiencing a crash-to-desktop after the flight begins
>> to load.
>
> Have you tried loading the default Cessna, switching to the 2-D cockpit,
> then load the Bo into it?

Thanks, D. I figured out my problem. It actually had nothing to do with
the Bo. Somehow one of my scenery index files got corrupted, and this
corruption caused the crash-to-desktop at the "loading terrain" portion of
the load flight.

When I saw that the C2D was happening at the loading terrain section, I
deselected all add-on terrain, which caused an automatic re-index. This
was enough to correct the problem.

Anyhow, I have had the opportunity for one quick flight and the RealXP GPS
alone is worth the price of this aircraft for me. The cockpit is
incredible, and htey even included a JPI Engine Monitor, too!

I have yet to really try the flight dynamics, but I will do so over the
next few days.

Did you buy it yet (I cannot remember if you even had an interest in it)?

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
March 12, 2005 10:45:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"pr"
> Anyhow, I have had the opportunity for one quick flight and the RealXP GPS
> alone is worth the price of this aircraft for me.

Yeah, the RealityXP GNS530 that comes with the Meridian is also worth the
price. For the instruction manual they refur you to the Garmin site to
download the 2 inch thick actual manual.

> Did you buy it yet (I cannot remember if you even had an interest in it)?

I'll buy it if you say it's something really special... :-)



Dallas
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:45:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> Yeah, the RealityXP GNS530 that comes with the Meridian is also worth the
> price. For the instruction manual they refur you to the Garmin site to
> download the 2 inch thick actual manual.

Then that is a testament to the realism of the GPS, no? :)  If they have
enough confidence to refer users to the real manual, then apparently just
about all of the functionality of the real GPS is programmed into the unit.

My guess is that since RealXP includes the real GNS430 trainer with the
gauge, they probably "screen scrape" the functionality from that unit.

>> Did you buy it yet (I cannot remember if you even had an interest in it)?
>
> I'll buy it if you say it's something really special... :-)

OK, well I better get going!

As it is, I am spending the afternoon today mounting a better scanner
antenna in the hopes that I am able to more clearly receive my local class
C airport's ATC communications. Out of 80% selfish and 20% generous
reasons, I am eager to provide LiveATC.net with the feed from our airport;
they archive up to ten days worth of actual ATC feed per airport and I
really want to critique my radio skills. :) 

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:39:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:15:44 -0500, pr wrote:

> The cockpit is
> incredible, and htey even included a JPI Engine Monitor, too!

The JPI EDM700 was my little contribution... Ike Slack programmed the
Sandel 3308.

Bill
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:56:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:15:44 -0500, pr wrote:
>
>> The cockpit is
>> incredible, and htey even included a JPI Engine Monitor, too!
>
> The JPI EDM700 was my little contribution... Ike Slack programmed the
> Sandel 3308.

OK, Bill, you have pulled me back in. Since upgrading to Dialog as my
newsreader I haven't been using KFs.

First off, nice job on the gauge. I am in love with JPI Engine Monitors
for light piston aircraft engine monitoring ever since the EDM-800 I fly
behind saved me during my failed mag incident last year.

One question about your EDM-700: Normally, when stepping to the turbo-
inlet temperature, both TIT and fuel flow values are shown together.
However, in your gauge, TIT is shown with cylinder head temperature.

I realize that fuel monitoring is an option with the EDM-700, whereas it is
included in the price of the EDM-800, but I would imagine that the owner of
the real A36 chose this option, given her other nice avionics modifications
to the aircraft.

Secondly, a question about the A36's HSI (I have no idea who programmed
this gauge, just tossing this out): In my Bonanza, the CDI source of the
HSI is controlled by the Garmin GNS430 CDI selector switch. However, in
this aircraft, it seems that the only way to control the CDI source is by
clicking on the NAV text of the HSI itself? The CDI source selector on the
GPS has no affect on the CDI.

In real life, the GNS430 was certificated with the stipulation that the
HSI's CDI be controlled by the GPS's switch.

Perhaps this is simply a limitation of the REalityXP GPS, given that it is
using the trainer?

This is certainly not meant to be a slam of the Bonanza in any way. So far
I am really enjoying it. I just wanted to point out my observations thus
far.


--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:01:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:56:59 -0500, pr wrote:

> OK, Bill, you have pulled me back in. Since upgrading to Dialog as my
> newsreader I haven't been using KFs.
>
> First off, nice job on the gauge. I am in love with JPI Engine Monitors
> for light piston aircraft engine monitoring ever since the EDM-800 I fly
> behind saved me during my failed mag incident last year.
>
> One question about your EDM-700: Normally, when stepping to the turbo-
> inlet temperature, both TIT and fuel flow values are shown together.
> However, in your gauge, TIT is shown with cylinder head temperature.

That is correct. I chose not to model all of the actual features of the
EDM700 (such as logging of data) since it would be totally useless as the
sim's values will never change... without extensive "engine wear
programming" at least. Likewise the "trend analysis" would be equally
valueless, since the data inputs are invariant.

Aside from which, unlike the EHSI, the humble EDM700 isn't a "primary
instrument" in most folks minds.

Likewise, since the sim only supplies one CHT variable, I had to "fudge"
the individual cylinder's reported temps with fixed scalars. Even the
"Lean Find" was vastly simplified in order to keep the program code
reasonably short... ;) 

Even so, as most folks are going to discover, proper leaning is vital to
flying the A36 efficiently and effectively. Having a precision instrument
to aid the process can only be a boon.

> I realize that fuel monitoring is an option with the EDM-700, whereas it is
> included in the price of the EDM-800, but I would imagine that the owner of
> the real A36 chose this option, given her other nice avionics modifications
> to the aircraft.

Oddly enough, Julie did not choose the fuel monitoring option...

> Secondly, a question about the A36's HSI (I have no idea who programmed
> this gauge, just tossing this out): In my Bonanza, the CDI source of the
> HSI is controlled by the Garmin GNS430 CDI selector switch. However, in
> this aircraft, it seems that the only way to control the CDI source is by
> clicking on the NAV text of the HSI itself? The CDI source selector on the
> GPS has no affect on the CDI.

Ike Slack (formerly of Coyote Avionics) programmed the Sandel 3308.
Dreamfleet chose his over mine simply because he modeled the system more
authentically than I did. I chose to model it as I would have designed
one, and simplified it for the "average simmer" rather than attempting to
replicate the actual EHSI.

On the configuration page there are a set of options which you can choose
to set up the RXP430, one of which is that the RXP will drive the EHSI.
Make certain that is enabled.

AFAIK, the 3308's CDI should respond to any input source providing that GPS
is selected as the primary source for the 3308. With the 3308 set to GPS,
switching the 430 from GPS to VLOC will allow the CDI to be driven by
either the 430's GPS or NAV1 LOC/VOR radios.

Switching the 3308 will allow the CDI to be driven by a standby source,
such as another NAV radio or NAV2 radio.

Bill
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:00:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote:

> That is correct. I chose not to model all of the actual features of the
> EDM700 (such as logging of data) since it would be totally useless as the
> sim's values will never change... without extensive "engine wear
> programming" at least. Likewise the "trend analysis" would be equally
> valueless, since the data inputs are invariant.

I chose not to mention the additional features of the EDM-700 because I
certainly realize and agree that they are not useful nor practical in sim
form.

> Aside from which, unlike the EHSI, the humble EDM700 isn't a "primary
> instrument" in most folks minds.

I agree that the engine monitor isn't a primary *flight* instrument. It
is a primary engine operation instrument. In my real world experience with
over 200 hours now in a turbo-normalized Bonanza, I can attest to the fact
that the engine monitor is very crucial to proper operation of the engine.
Fuel flow and TIT are paramount when setting power levels and leaning the
engine during all phases of flight.

If those values weren't available and/or you were looking to keep the gauge
simple for users or low system demands, I can certainly understand. I
disagree, though, that the instrument isn't a primary instrument for this
type of aircraft. It certainly is.

> Oddly enough, Julie did not choose the fuel monitoring option...

Really? Equipped with a GPS that takes the input from the fuel flow/fuel
on board values of the engine monitor to accurately calculate fuel
reserves, endurance, etc., based on the flight plan, I would have expected
that opting for the fuel flow option would be an easy sell.

> Ike Slack (formerly of Coyote Avionics) programmed the Sandel 3308.
> Dreamfleet chose his over mine simply because he modeled the system more
> authentically than I did. I chose to model it as I would have designed
> one, and simplified it for the "average simmer" rather than attempting to
> replicate the actual EHSI.

Based on a few years of reading this group, I thought the average simmer
was looking for authenticity? After all, authenticity is what separates
games from simulators, at least in my mind. Shows how little I know.

But I certainly do understand the need to program within the limitations of
the PC and the sim itself.

> On the configuration page there are a set of options which you can choose
> to set up the RXP430, one of which is that the RXP will drive the EHSI.
> Make certain that is enabled.

Thanks, I'll take a look.


--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
March 13, 2005 9:58:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"pr"
> My guess is that since RealXP includes the real GNS430 trainer with the
> gauge, they probably "screen scrape" the functionality from that unit.

That's exactly how they run the GNS530 too. A couple of weakness with this
arrangement are that they use a Garmin database from 2002 not the actual FS9
database so intersections and Navaids are often not there. No one foresees
an update coming. And, if you leave FS to do something in XP, the trainer
will run your CPU at 100% making everything happen in slow motion.

On the plus side the RealityXP GNS530 VNav feature works and you can select
approaches to all the US airports (2002). Very nice toy...


Dallas
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> That's exactly how they run the GNS530 too. A couple of weakness with this
> arrangement are that they use a Garmin database from 2002 not the actual FS9
> database so intersections and Navaids are often not there.

I was under the impression that FS2004, since it came out around July 2003,
had a nav database from sometime late 2002. With this I would think that
the nav database in the sim is closer to the Garmin trainer than believed.

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
March 14, 2005 3:05:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"pr"
> had a nav database from sometime late 2002. With this I would think that
> the nav database in the sim is closer to the Garmin trainer than believed.

Yeah, the 530 trainer uses "expires 5-Sept-02".. that would seem to make
sense, but in practice about 10% of the intersections are not there.


Eagerly awaiting your comprehensive Bo review. :-)


Dallas
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:05:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> Eagerly awaiting your comprehensive Bo review. :-)

Thanks, but it will have to be next week, as I am now traveling during the
week for work. Hopefully I can get one up then for you.

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:59:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:00:22 -0500, pr wrote:

> Based on a few years of reading this group, I thought the average simmer
> was looking for authenticity? After all, authenticity is what separates
> games from simulators, at least in my mind. Shows how little I know.

I originally programmed the EDM700 along with a Shadin FF Meter for the
TB20GT.

When Lou asked me to create the EDM700 for the A36, I rebuild the gauge in
C rather than XML, and added quite a bit to it based on what he asked for.

Oddly enough, market forces dictate much of what goes into commercial
releases, and the largest market share are folks who for the most part want
to "kick the tires and light the fires." They want lots of "eye candy" and
aren't all that particular about "realism..." or rather, what they perceive
as "realistic" truly isn't. Either way, it mitigates against adding too
much complexity to what THEY would perceive as of secondary importance.

If there were a way to measure it, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that
fewer than 1 out of 200 simmers will *ever* use the "Lean Find" feature...
;(

Bill
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:07:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:58:46 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> On the plus side the RealityXP GNS530 VNav feature works and you can select
> approaches to all the US airports (2002). Very nice toy...

You can also switch to the International Database and do the same thing...
;) 

Bill
March 16, 2005 3:54:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I'm in the "1" category Bill :) 

It took me two flights to get the hang of it...now its the first thing I
click as soon as I level off.

BZ.

Damian
!