Rebuilding NT just from files....

Hello all.

I got a really messed up problem...

I recently "lost" an NT4 server. Disk died, RAID failed, total death. This
disk also had an Exchange 5.5 server installed. I sent the disk to a data
recovery center. Aparently they are able to recover all the files that were
on the disk, both NT and exchange. However, I'm not getting an "NT 4 server,
with Exchange"; what I am gettting is just a pile of files...

My question is: are these files any good? Can I access my old Exchange
mailboxes and recover the messages, attachements, etc? Or am I wasting
time/money?
5 answers Last reply
More about rebuilding files

    Yes, you can recover exchange with the files, you will have to re-build the
    server and re-install exchange, then copy the databases, when you have the
    files like that it's called an off-line backup, the microsoft KB has details
    on what files you need, then you have to do an eseutil to get it going again.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    "Marvin P. Winterbottom" wrote:

    > Yes, you can recover exchange with the files, you will have to re-build the
    > server and re-install exchange, then copy the databases, when you have the
    > files like that it's called an off-line backup, the microsoft KB has details
    > on what files you need, then you have to do an eseutil to get it going again.

    Just been reading a bit about that (not ebouigh timt to read everything
    yet...).

    Can you tell me if I would have to recreate all the mailboxes, or just the
    basic exchange server?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Just install Exchange, the mailboxes are in the priv.mdb file, which could be
    pretty big, I have 60 users and it's 10 gig, they would have to somehow get
    that one file on multiple cd's?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    "Marvin P. Winterbottom" wrote:

    > Just install Exchange, the mailboxes are in the priv.mdb file, which could be
    > pretty big, I have 60 users and it's 10 gig, they would have to somehow get
    > that one file on multiple cd's?

    All is lost... doom doom doom...

    The priv (and pub) files are the only 2 they couldn't recover... :(

    Thanks for the help anyway. I hope I won't need these tips for the future! ;)
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Sorry to hear that. In a case like this, a good backup is the way to go.

Exchange Microsoft Servers Windows