Ok so this is what i think i'll get so far:
1x 7800GT
Geil Value 1gig ram
Epox Motherboard
250Gb hdd
Xp home

But i need to know whether to get Amd 3800+ dual core
or The 3200+ single core

Also any help on any up or downgradeswould be most appreciated.

thanks
mike

Oh by the way i live in england and i'm getting all the parts from
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

I've got a budget of around £800 which is around $1500

i'm a casual gamer and i like to play Homeworld 2
and any other game thats about space or driving
(i may even play some fps but dooms too scary for me :cry:  )

I may overclock later on but its not a priority

will it be cheaper before or after xmas :lol: 

hope this edit improves things

More about : time dual core single

December 13, 2005 9:03:53 PM

I need to make a 2nd sticky....lol

You have 1 gpu and an SLI board? why?
"I want to have the option to upgrade"~MichaelAbbott
If you dont get two cards right away you wont use SLI. its not an upgrade feature.

Think about it like this....When SLI firstr came out people bought 6800GT's and said to themsleves 'when the prices drop i'll buy another one' Well over a year later the 6800GT's are the same price and sometimes MORE exspensive then the 7800GT's. now you have an SLI motherboard, a 6800GT and you either have the option of buying a 6800GT for $300 or a single 7800GT for $280. keep in mind if you go with the 7800GT you can sell you 6800GT to a friend or ebay for around $150 so you would get the 7800GT for around $120 upgrade.

See? you wont use SLI, which means you can save about $80 on your mobo selection and about $20 on your PSU....saving money upfront and in the long run....SLI is only for you if you game at hig res settings and have enough money to ignore the price/performance.

Get an EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra board, or a chantech VNF4 Ultra board. Read reviews online if you dont trust me. The EPoX is $105 and he chaintech is $65.

Other then that everything looks good. What PSU are you going to use?
December 14, 2005 3:49:09 PM

Ok so i wont get a sli motherboard.
The epox motherboard looks good so i'll change to it.

the power supply is an antec 450W smart power
(it comes with the antec sonata II case)

also does having a dual core affect gaming alot

and would i be better off if i buy an 3200+ now then an dual core next year or so
Related resources
December 14, 2005 3:58:37 PM

would i be better off with
Epox
EP-9NPA+
or EP-9NPA+ Ultra

whats the difference
December 14, 2005 5:01:44 PM

Hello,

Single cores are cheaper and prices drop faster. They outperform even the ebst dual core in most areas such as DirectX and Open GL. That's primarily if you are a gamer. Still plenty fast if you use real world applications.

Dual cores are still more expensive. They tend to do better in real world apps such as video, audio, winrar, rendering etc.

Read THG's article on the massive CPU review to see what the rankings are like.
December 15, 2005 4:24:19 AM

Quote:
Ok so i wont get a sli motherboard.
The epox motherboard looks good so i'll change to it.

the power supply is an antec 450W smart power
(it comes with the antec sonata II case)

also does having a dual core affect gaming alot

and would i be better off if i buy an 3200+ now then an dual core next year or so

Single core is the best way to go for gaming. dual core doesn't help for gaming but it also doesn't hurt. But you would be paying like $300 for something you wouldn't be using with games....so i most of the time tell people to go single core.

Personally i would go with the + Ultra version. It gives you the extra features on the motherboard. I think it has SATA2 and other features on the board. Read the spec's.....but i would go for the ultra if there is litle price difference.
December 15, 2005 7:51:06 PM

thanks i'll go for the 3200+ then in the ultra board.
also should i get the parts before or after xmas.
December 15, 2005 7:52:34 PM

If you can wait, wait, the prices won't go up. :wink:
December 15, 2005 8:15:54 PM

do you think the geil value ram is good enough.
its PC3200
cas latancy 2.5
timings i think are
2.5 3 3 6
but i'm not quite sure what they mean
December 15, 2005 9:43:07 PM

those timeings arn't to bad for value ram how much? you can get cas 2 patriot ultra low latency ram from newegg 2x512 for around $125 maybe a 3% performance increase over what you have selected. guess depends on price difference. also check into the DFI infinity socket 939 board going for $85. good overclocker board and between the two price ranges mentioned.
December 15, 2005 11:24:09 PM

Switching from the value ram he has to what you said wont yeild 3%....more like 1%. the timings on that value ram arn't bad at all....if he has more money to spend...like $50 like you said for an upgrade he can get a faster cpu or better gpu maybe.

RAM IS LAST for performance. As long as you have 1GB you shouldn't worry about upgrading it till you have a GREAT gpu, GREAT cpu, and GREAT mobo for you.
December 16, 2005 3:57:57 AM

the geil ram is only £50 ($90)
which is a good deal
!