RAID 0 and MAJOR hard drive problems

blowe66

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
hey guys
I have three drives.. two SATA, and one IDE. the TWO SATA were one on a RAID 0 and the IDE was a third drive.
I
have a RAID 0 on my computer where I used two hard drives and made one logical drive. well recently some issues arose:

1) i got a blue screen and an automatic restart. this led to something saying that I don't have a logical drive. futher inspection with the RAID utility revealed that one of the hard drives isn't recognized by the RAID utility but the other one is still recognized. does this one of the hard drives is fried and is no longer of any use? is that why the RAID crashed?

2) when i try to format using the windows xp CD, it didn't recognize any of the drives. i know at least one is functional because the RAID utility picked up one drive at least. what can i do here? what is going on? the cd only picks up the IDE drive...

any advice?

mpjesse

Splendid
1st issue: does the BIOS see the drive? If not, then the drive is most likely bad (assuming you've checked cables and all that). If the BIOS does see the drive then something got fucked up in the RAID table. If this is the case, try completely deleting the array and start over.

NOTE: not all RAID controllers are linked w/ the BIOS. In other words, your BIOS may not be able to see the RAID drives even if they are good. Make damn sure that drive can't be seen anywhere before screwing with the RAID table.

2nd issue: Are you loading the RAID controller driver? (i.e., hitting F6 and loading the driver from a floppy). If so, windows setup probably doesn't see the drive because the RAID controller won't let it. Why? Probably cause you've got a bad drive on the RAID array. Try nuking the RAID table and disconnecting the bad drive. Setup the good drive in the RAID table as JBOD or Reserve. DO THIS ONLY IF THE OTHER DRIVE IS TRULY BAD.

Make sense?

-mpjesse