listing of all files and sizes

Joe

Is there something out there that will list all the folders, their contents
(files) and the sizes of the folders and files?

Joe

I should probably add that :

Does such a program exist that doesn't make you select each individual
folder? I have found a few that will print what I'm looking for, but I have
to select each folder and subfolder and so on... I can do something like
that on my own I was hoping that something would print each folder's files,
subfolder files (etc). and the sizes of each of those items in one printing.

"Joe" wrote:

> Is there something out there that will list all the folders, their contents
> (files) and the sizes of the folders and files?

From a command prompt;
dir /s > C:\filelist.txt
then print the file.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Joe" wrote:
|I should probably add that :
|
| Does such a program exist that doesn't make you select each individual
| folder? I have found a few that will print what I'm looking for, but I
have
| to select each folder and subfolder and so on... I can do something like
| that on my own I was hoping that something would print each folder's
files,
| subfolder files (etc). and the sizes of each of those items in one
printing.

| "Joe" wrote:
|
| > Is there something out there that will list all the folders, their
contents
| > (files) and the sizes of the folders and files?

Bruce

Dave Patrick wrote:

> From a command prompt;
> dir /s > C:\filelist.txt
> then print the file.

He wanted all files and folders so he needs
dir /s /a > C:\filelist.txt

Calvin

Hi Dave, Joe and everyone watching this thread,

A thought: The programe FileImg from the NT resource kit can produce exactly the
result Joe is looking for - with full file details including the revision levels
etc.. which DIR can't do.

Unfortunately, FileImg does not have any hardcopy options, so you can't get a
human readable print of this information (you can see it all on the screen
though). It can save the results of a scan as a .fii file. The bad news is this
file form is a mixture of ASCII file names and other file information stored in
a binary form. Most likely a tool could be written (or already exists) that
could read .fii files and produce an ASCII output suitable to be sent to a printer.

Just a thought :)

Calvin.

Bruce

Joe wrote:
> Is there something out there that will list all the folders, their contents
> (files) and the sizes of the folders and files?

Another thought.

UNIX/Linux has a utility for showing Disk Usage (du) that can do this.

You can either
a) download a port of this to NT (e.g. http://www.cygwin.com/)
and use this under NT
b) Shutdown NT, boot Linux from CD (e.g. http://www.knoppix.com/)
and run du under Linux.

Calvin wrote:

> Hi Dave, Joe and everyone watching this thread,
>
> A thought: The programe FileImg from the NT resource kit can produce exactly the
> result Joe is looking for - with full file details including the revision levels
> etc.. which DIR can't do.
>
> Unfortunately, FileImg does not have any hardcopy options, so you can't get a
> human readable print of this information (you can see it all on the screen
> though). It can save the results of a scan as a .fii file. The bad news is this
> file form is a mixture of ASCII file names and other file information stored in
> a binary form. Most likely a tool could be written (or already exists) that
> could read .fii files and produce an ASCII output suitable to be sent to a printer.

There is also an option "Export to" --> Text File in FileImg. This produces nice
tab separated plain text files that can be easily read or imported.

Stephan

Calvin

Hi Stephan,

You're right Stephan. I should have looked at the FileImg menus _after_ I'd
actually done an image scan - suddenly all these new options appear on the file
menu that _aren't_ there before. That will teach me to charge in open my big
mouth before doing thorough research !

Thanks for bring this all to my attention - I can see LOTS of new uses for this
utility now.

Calvin.

Calvin wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> You're right Stephan. I should have looked at the FileImg menus _after_ I'd
> actually done an image scan - [...]
>
> Thanks for bring this all to my attention - I can see LOTS of new uses for this
> utility now.

You're welcome! Actually, it was you who attracted my attention to this fine
tool a couple of months ago, ;-).

btw: I realised a little problem in the exported txt-file:
The "full path" column contains the file name twice without any delimiter...!?

Stephan

Calvin

Thanks for the 'heads up' on that Stephan - why does this sound like yet another
case of Microsoft rushing a piece of code out the door in one unholy rush with
very little to No beta testing ?!

Calvin.