Remote Hardware Identification

itguy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

I've got 100+ NT servers located at remote office locations. Not sure what
hardware is installed at each location. A mixed assortment so to speak.

Is it possible to remotely identify what manufacturer and model server is
installed (e.g. Dell Poweredge 6450) at each location?

Is their a script or command that can do this?

Thanks!

Bruce

ITGuy wrote:

> I've got 100+ NT servers located at remote office locations. Not sure what
> hardware is installed at each location. A mixed assortment so to speak.
>
> Is it possible to remotely identify what manufacturer and model server is
> installed (e.g. Dell Poweredge 6450) at each location?
>
> Is their a script or command that can do this?
>
> Thanks!

You might be able to get some idea from the information in the registry
under HKLM\HARDWARE.
e.g.
1) HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\ contains entries that identify
the System BIOS and Video BIOS
2) HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\ contains entries
that identify the number of processors and their types.
3) HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\ contains entries that identify the
SCSI and IDE adapters and devices attached to them.
4) The names under HKLM\HARDWARE\RESOURCEMAP\OtherDrivers\ may help
you to identify the system type. My names include
a) ctpcint4 - driver for Creative SBPCI sound card
b) El90x - driver for 3Com EtherLink network card