Question re Approach and Autopilot

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

I have recently been experimenting using the Autopilot approach switch
(default 737) Up to now I have flown all approaches manually but at what
stage would it be switched off and finals flown manually, Presumably this
would differ depending on the aircraft. I have noted that it seems to work
ok in some aircraft fine e.g. the Overland MD11 (beautiful model) but is a
bit flakey on others,
I would be interested to know, Thank you.

Canuck <someone@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I have recently been experimenting using the Autopilot approach switch
> (default 737) Up to now I have flown all approaches manually but at what
> stage would it be switched off and finals flown manually,

In the US, aircraft, equipment, and crew are certified to different levels
of minimums. AFAIK, only the commercial airlines and military have
aircraft, crew, and equipment certified to auto-land under ILS Category III
(basically zero/zero visibility). Perhaps there is a corporate jet or two
out there that can do it, too, but I have not read about one.

Autoland means that the AP will land the aircraft for the pilot, so it
would not be disengaged until after the landing and roll-out (Oskar??).

With that said, all other aircraft are required to disengage the AP at the
decision height prescribed on the published ILS approach chart (for the
aircraft's category) or at an altitude above the ground specified by the AP
limitations, whatever is higher.

--
Peter

Arthur

........and if you don't have the chart described, at whatever altitude you
feel comfortable disengaging the AP. Some people here disengage it at 1,000
feet AGL and others 500 feet. Sometimes, I get a surprise, disengage the AP
because I think I'm such a great pilot, and end up being blown a mile away
from the runway. Gets me not only antsy, but very unfulfilled : )

Arthur