Export Outlook Contacts?

Hello all. Using XP Pro, I would like to transfer my address book to another
XP Pro computer. Under Win98, I used to just copy over the WAB file, but I
cannot find any in XP. How do I copy over the address book/Contacts?
Thank you!

--
Glen Corlin
21st Century Schizoid Man

    Easiest way is to Click File on the main toolbar and select Export. Next
    select Address Book and then select to export in Text File (Comma separated
    values) (csv) then follow the prompts. Save the file to disk or, if the data
    isn't too large, to floppy and then transfer it to your pc. When the file is
    on your other pc (or floppy whichever you prefer) Open Outlook Express and
    then go to File again and this time select Import to import the data into
    Outlook express.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    "Glen Corlin" <lmo01-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all. Using XP Pro, I would like to transfer my address book to
    > another XP Pro computer. Under Win98, I used to just copy over the WAB
    > file, but I cannot find any in XP. How do I copy over the address
    > book/Contacts?
    > Thank you!
    >

    > --
    > Glen Corlin
    > 21st Century Schizoid Man

    Thanks, John. One thing..I am using Outlook, not OE. Will that make a
    difference?

    --
    Glen Corlin
    21st Century Schizoid Man
    "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
    > Easiest way is to Click File on the main toolbar and select Export. Next
    > select Address Book and then select to export in Text File (Comma
    > separated values) (csv) then follow the prompts. Save the file to disk or,
    > if the data isn't too large, to floppy and then transfer it to your pc.
    > When the file is on your other pc (or floppy whichever you prefer) Open
    > Outlook Express and then go to File again and this time select Import to
    > import the data into Outlook express.
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    > "Glen Corlin" <lmo01-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello all. Using XP Pro, I would like to transfer my address book to
    >> another XP Pro computer. Under Win98, I used to just copy over the WAB
    >> file, but I cannot find any in XP. How do I copy over the address
    >> book/Contacts?
    >> Thank you!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Glen Corlin
    >> 21st Century Schizoid Man

    A hint, export the file to CSV text and open it in a
    spreadsheet (just double click it to open the default
    program you have). Then you can delete the unwanted/old
    entries before you email it or transfer it to another
    account. You even edit the data.

    The procedure is basically the same for any email client.

    | Thanks, John. One thing..I am using Outlook, not OE. Will
    that make a
    | difference?
    |
    | --
    | Glen Corlin
    | 21st Century Schizoid Man
    | "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in
    message
    | > Easiest way is to Click File on the main toolbar and
    select Export. Next
    | > select Address Book and then select to export in Text
    File (Comma
    | > separated values) (csv) then follow the prompts. Save
    the file to disk or,
    | > if the data isn't too large, to floppy and then transfer
    it to your pc.
    | > When the file is on your other pc (or floppy whichever
    you prefer) Open
    | > Outlook Express and then go to File again and this time
    select Import to
    | > import the data into Outlook express.
    | >
    | > --
    | > John Barnett MVP
    | > Associate Expert
    | > www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    | > "Glen Corlin" <lmo01-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | >> Hello all. Using XP Pro, I would like to transfer my
    address book to
    | >> another XP Pro computer. Under Win98, I used to just
    copy over the WAB
    | >> file, but I cannot find any in XP. How do I copy over
    the address
    | >> book/Contacts?
    | >> Thank you!
    | >>

    | >> --
    | >> Glen Corlin
    | >> 21st Century Schizoid Man

    No Glen it will make no difference whether you are using Outlook or OE. In
    Outlook just select Export/Import option from File menu. Next select Export
    file then choose Comma separated values. In the next windows "select folder
    to export from" select Contacts and click Ok. In the next window choose
    where you want to save the file to or use the default and then just follow
    the prompts

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    "Glen Corlin" <lmo01-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, John. One thing..I am using Outlook, not OE. Will that make a
    > difference?
    >
    > --
    > Glen Corlin
    > 21st Century Schizoid Man
    > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Easiest way is to Click File on the main toolbar and select Export. Next
    >> select Address Book and then select to export in Text File (Comma
    >> separated values) (csv) then follow the prompts. Save the file to disk
    >> or, if the data isn't too large, to floppy and then transfer it to your
    >> pc. When the file is on your other pc (or floppy whichever you prefer)
    >> Open Outlook Express and then go to File again and this time select
    >> Import to import the data into Outlook express.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John Barnett MVP
    >> Associate Expert
    >> www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    >> "Glen Corlin" <lmo01-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello all. Using XP Pro, I would like to transfer my address book to
    >>> another XP Pro computer. Under Win98, I used to just copy over the WAB
    >>> file, but I cannot find any in XP. How do I copy over the address
    >>> book/Contacts?
    >>> Thank you!
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Glen Corlin
    >>> 21st Century Schizoid Man

    Just a slight alteration to my previous post. remember to select Comma
    separated values (windows) don't use the (dos) option

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    "Glen Corlin" <lmo01-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, John. One thing..I am using Outlook, not OE. Will that make a
    > difference?
    >
    > --
    > Glen Corlin
    > 21st Century Schizoid Man
    > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Easiest way is to Click File on the main toolbar and select Export. Next
    >> select Address Book and then select to export in Text File (Comma
    >> separated values) (csv) then follow the prompts. Save the file to disk
    >> or, if the data isn't too large, to floppy and then transfer it to your
    >> pc. When the file is on your other pc (or floppy whichever you prefer)
    >> Open Outlook Express and then go to File again and this time select
    >> Import to import the data into Outlook express.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John Barnett MVP
    >> Associate Expert
    >> www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    >> "Glen Corlin" <lmo01-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello all. Using XP Pro, I would like to transfer my address book to
    >>> another XP Pro computer. Under Win98, I used to just copy over the WAB
    >>> file, but I cannot find any in XP. How do I copy over the address
    >>> book/Contacts?
    >>> Thank you!
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Glen Corlin
    >>> 21st Century Schizoid Man

    Thanks for your clear advice, Jim.
    A local twist, though.

    Can you export just one contact group, or limit the number of entries before
    you export your address book?

    I have a large address book, with several Contact groups established.
    When membership or email addresses in the group changes, I want to export
    this updated list to the 4 other office workers out of 12 who need to
    contact the same people. ( As you see, we don't have a network for shared
    files). I have not been able to export only the contacts in that group. Is
    that possible? I would like to be able to send this list to a Windows98
    computer also.

    Leslie

Outlook Microsoft Windows XP Books