Check this out...

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
junk^100000 air can beat that easily

Come on...thats not that bad....maybe junk^85,000

If you want a ghetto water cooling rig there are lots of ways to cool your water down beyond what a rad can do.

but if you want to stay cheap air cooling is best. Get an SI-120, good fan, and AS5 and you are set.

G

The main problem with the setup you linked is that the heat exchanger is very small. Rather than an oil cooler from the store I might be thinking a heater core from a junkyard.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Well, what size is a heater core?
The oil cooler at the store that i'm looking at for like 20-30 bucks is about 10" by 15" with 1/2" in and out.

G

They come in all shapes and sizes. There are probably some at the size you mentioned. Usually they are plumbed with 1/2 inch or so fittings. The reason I mention those is every car has one so there would be lot's to choose from. The other thing is: if they charge you for it it will only be because soemone has to dig it out of there. I can't imagine them charging much for one. No one in their right mind would replace a heater core in their vehicle with a junkyard bought one since they are such a pain to install/remove so it is likely that every single hulk in the yard will have a heater core ripe for the picking.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
It also means that i'd have to dig it out, and i'd end up with a part that might have a lot of nasty stuff in it, and i'd have to go out into the cold to do it all.