With multiple ethernet adapters, programmatically find cur..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 19, 2005 6:15:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

On multiple-adapter Win NT 4.0 machines, is there a key that denotes which
of the listed adapters is the one currently being used?

There are several numbers under
NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\, and they are not all NIC cards.

I have no way of knowing which one to use (programmatically).

FYI: I have a program that is currently hard-coded with the name of our NIC
card ("RTL8139" by RealTek).
Since future revs of the our product may receive a different NIC(s), I hope
to have the program do the work.

Thanks, in advance,

DRBarkley

p.s. I hope I have posted this correctly, I believe this is Cross-Posting,
not Multi-Posting?
(I'm sure I will hear about it, if wrong ;-))

More about : multiple ethernet adapters programmatically find cur

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:29:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

You choose adapter to use with metric , look at
"route print" command , the route ( so NIC ) with less metric have higher
priority.
Arkady

"DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
news:o lewP7JXFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> On multiple-adapter Win NT 4.0 machines, is there a key that denotes which
> of the listed adapters is the one currently being used?
>
> There are several numbers under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\, and they are not all NIC cards.
>
> I have no way of knowing which one to use (programmatically).
>
> FYI: I have a program that is currently hard-coded with the name of our
> NIC
> card ("RTL8139" by RealTek).
> Since future revs of the our product may receive a different NIC(s), I
> hope
> to have the program do the work.
>
> Thanks, in advance,
>
> DRBarkley
>
> p.s. I hope I have posted this correctly, I believe this is
> Cross-Posting,
> not Multi-Posting?
> (I'm sure I will hear about it, if wrong ;-))

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:29:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hi Arkady,

Thanks for your reply!

I see that the metrics are as follows, now (they may change later):

[1] The RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Adapters
[2] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
[3] Remote Access Mac
[4] Remote Access WAN Wrapper

Are you saying that the lowest metric will always be the current Ethernet
adapter?

Thanks again for your time,

DRBarkley

"Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
> You choose adapter to use with metric , look at
> "route print" command , the route ( so NIC ) with less metric have higher
> priority.
> Arkady
>

> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
> news:o lewP7JXFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > On multiple-adapter Win NT 4.0 machines, is there a key that denotes
which
> > of the listed adapters is the one currently being used?
> >
> > There are several numbers under
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> > NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\, and they are not all NIC cards.
> >
> > I have no way of knowing which one to use (programmatically).
> >
> > FYI: I have a program that is currently hard-coded with the name of our
> > NIC
> > card ("RTL8139" by RealTek).
> > Since future revs of the our product may receive a different NIC(s), I
> > hope
> > to have the program do the work.
> >
> > Thanks, in advance,
> >
> > DRBarkley
> >
> > p.s. I hope I have posted this correctly, I believe this is
> > Cross-Posting,
> > not Multi-Posting?
> > (I'm sure I will hear about it, if wrong ;-))

May 20, 2005 7:20:51 PM

DR Barkley wrote:
> Hi Arkady,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> I see that the metrics are as follows, now (they may change later):
>
> [1] The RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Adapters
> [2] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
> [3] Remote Access Mac
> [4] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
>
> Are you saying that the lowest metric will always be the current Ethernet
> adapter?

Makes sense doesn't it?

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

"In the cold breeze that I walk along
The memories of generations burn within me
Been forever since I cried the pain and sorrow
I live and die, proud of my people gaining"
-- Wolf's rain theme
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:20:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

I'm gonna take that as a yes.

It actually makes no more (or less) sense to me than if it were some other
place.
Nor does any of the rest of the post: (Model: INFJ, Primary function:
Coprocessor, Secondary function: Cluster commander, or Wolfe's (whoever that
is) rain theme).

But, I expect it makes plenty of sense to many others who work with this
stuff, regularly.
So, a sincere thanks for the (probably sincere) response ;-).

DR Barkley

"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> DR Barkley wrote:
> > Hi Arkady,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply!
> >
> > I see that the metrics are as follows, now (they may change later):
> >
> > [1] The RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Adapters
> > [2] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
> > [3] Remote Access Mac
> > [4] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
> >
> > Are you saying that the lowest metric will always be the current
Ethernet
> > adapter?
>
> Makes sense doesn't it?
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> "In the cold breeze that I walk along
> The memories of generations burn within me
> Been forever since I cried the pain and sorrow
> I live and die, proud of my people gaining"
> -- Wolf's rain theme
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:03:42 PM

DR Barkley wrote:
> I'm gonna take that as a yes.
>
> It actually makes no more (or less) sense to me than if it were some other
> place.

As far as I know (I just might be wrong thoe), the routing table
explains how the network is phisically layed out, that is, it states
trough what devices your network transmition has to pass in order to
reach it's destination.

The metrics on the routing table tell the computer where to send the
data according to the IP number provided. That is, if the data is
intended for a computer outside your private LAN, it will be forwarded
to a gateway device that connects your LAN to the outside world, if
however the data is intended to be delivered to a computer on the LAN,
it will be sent directly. And then of course there is the case when you
are infact sending data to your self (localhost or 127.0.0.1), in which
case the data will stay within the local adapter's sphere.

To be able to determine all this, the routing table must contain the
full hiearchy of devices responsible for delivering messages from
computers to computers, computers to gateways or gateways to gateways.
This full hierarchy only reaches as far as the next gateway and
naturally, begins with the first device capable of relaying messages
accross a network.

This first device is your main network adapter.

> Nor does any of the rest of the post: (Model: INFJ, Primary function:
> Coprocessor, Secondary function: Cluster commander, or Wolfe's (whoever that
> is) rain theme).

It's called a signature file. The symbol "-- " indicates it's begining.
Standard in USENET postings as some text trailing each posted message,
it does not have anything to do with the contens of the post, it's just
there as the poster's signature.

> But, I expect it makes plenty of sense to many others who work with this
> stuff, regularly.
> So, a sincere thanks for the (probably sincere) response ;-).

Helps to know what you're doing tho.

Good luck.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor
Secondary function: Cluster commander

"In the cold breeze that I walk along
The memories of generations burn within me
Been forever since I cried the pain and sorrow
I live and die, proud of my people gaining"
-- Wolf's rain theme
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:03:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Jure,

Thank you for the explanation.

I didn't realize that about the --; I havn't done much USENETting.
I have noticed the "signature files", but they usually begin with a
name/title--which makes it more obvious.

I think this will help me make my program do what it has to do.
If I understand correctly (from the Many other sources I've researched), the
lowest Metric may not necessarily be a "1".
So, I will need to make sure I get the least, which compels the next
question:

Will they always be in order, from least to highest, so that I only need to
get the first?

Thanks again for all,

> DR Barkley wrote:
> > I'm gonna take that as a yes.
> >
> > It actually makes no more (or less) sense to me than if it were some
other
> > place.
>
> As far as I know (I just might be wrong thoe), the routing table
> explains how the network is phisically layed out, that is, it states
> trough what devices your network transmition has to pass in order to
> reach it's destination.
>
> The metrics on the routing table tell the computer where to send the
> data according to the IP number provided. That is, if the data is
> intended for a computer outside your private LAN, it will be forwarded
> to a gateway device that connects your LAN to the outside world, if
> however the data is intended to be delivered to a computer on the LAN,
> it will be sent directly. And then of course there is the case when you
> are infact sending data to your self (localhost or 127.0.0.1), in which
> case the data will stay within the local adapter's sphere.
>
> To be able to determine all this, the routing table must contain the
> full hiearchy of devices responsible for delivering messages from
> computers to computers, computers to gateways or gateways to gateways.
> This full hierarchy only reaches as far as the next gateway and
> naturally, begins with the first device capable of relaying messages
> accross a network.
>
> This first device is your main network adapter.
>
> > Nor does any of the rest of the post: (Model: INFJ, Primary function:
> > Coprocessor, Secondary function: Cluster commander, or Wolfe's (whoever
that
> > is) rain theme).
>
> It's called a signature file. The symbol "-- " indicates it's begining.
> Standard in USENET postings as some text trailing each posted message,
> it does not have anything to do with the contens of the post, it's just
> there as the poster's signature.
>
> > But, I expect it makes plenty of sense to many others who work with this
> > stuff, regularly.
> > So, a sincere thanks for the (probably sincere) response ;-).
>
> Helps to know what you're doing tho.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> "In the cold breeze that I walk along
> The memories of generations burn within me
> Been forever since I cried the pain and sorrow
> I live and die, proud of my people gaining"
> -- Wolf's rain theme
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:16:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

No , e.g. in the case you have dial-up and ethernet OS set lowest to dial-up
IIRC, but route of lowest one will be tried first for sure

> Hi Arkady,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> I see that the metrics are as follows, now (they may change later):
>
> [1] The RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Adapters
> [2] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
> [3] Remote Access Mac
> [4] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
>
> Are you saying that the lowest metric will always be the current Ethernet
> adapter?
>
> Thanks again for your time,
>
> DRBarkley
>
> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
>> You choose adapter to use with metric , look at
>> "route print" command , the route ( so NIC ) with less metric have
>> higher
>> priority.
>> Arkady
>>

>> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
>> news:o lewP7JXFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > On multiple-adapter Win NT 4.0 machines, is there a key that denotes
> which
>> > of the listed adapters is the one currently being used?
>> >
>> > There are several numbers under
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>> > NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\, and they are not all NIC cards.
>> >
>> > I have no way of knowing which one to use (programmatically).
>> >
>> > FYI: I have a program that is currently hard-coded with the name of our
>> > NIC
>> > card ("RTL8139" by RealTek).
>> > Since future revs of the our product may receive a different NIC(s), I
>> > hope
>> > to have the program do the work.
>> >
>> > Thanks, in advance,
>> >
>> > DRBarkley
>> >
>> > p.s. I hope I have posted this correctly, I believe this is
>> > Cross-Posting,
>> > not Multi-Posting?
>> > (I'm sure I will hear about it, if wrong ;-))

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:23:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

BTW you can change that default behavior ( Dial-up before Lan "Routing IP
Packets to Network
Adapter Rather than RAS") , look at Q 143168 of KB MSDN
( on web http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q143168/ )
Arkady

> No , e.g. in the case you have dial-up and ethernet OS set lowest to
> dial-up IIRC, but route of lowest one will be tried first for sure
> Arkady
>
> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Arkady,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply!
>>
>> I see that the metrics are as follows, now (they may change later):
>>
>> [1] The RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Adapters
>> [2] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
>> [3] Remote Access Mac
>> [4] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
>>
>> Are you saying that the lowest metric will always be the current Ethernet
>> adapter?
>>
>> Thanks again for your time,
>>
>> DRBarkley
>>
>> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
>>> You choose adapter to use with metric , look at
>>> "route print" command , the route ( so NIC ) with less metric have
>>> higher
>>> priority.
>>> Arkady
>>>

>>> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o lewP7JXFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> which

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:43:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

So, is there any way to find out the current adapter name?

"Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
> No , e.g. in the case you have dial-up and ethernet OS set lowest to
dial-up
> IIRC, but route of lowest one will be tried first for sure
> Arkady
>
> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Arkady,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply!
> >
> > I see that the metrics are as follows, now (they may change later):
> >
> > [1] The RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Adapters
> > [2] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
> > [3] Remote Access Mac
> > [4] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
> >
> > Are you saying that the lowest metric will always be the current
Ethernet
> > adapter?
> >
> > Thanks again for your time,
> >
> > DRBarkley
> >
> > "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
> >> You choose adapter to use with metric , look at
> >> "route print" command , the route ( so NIC ) with less metric have
> >> higher
> >> priority.
> >> Arkady
> >>

> >> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o lewP7JXFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > which

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 6:16:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

I don't know what you mean current , because if you have few and each one
connect to different LAN each one is current.And all those you can enumerate
with GetAdaptersInfo() ( from W2K ) or GetIfTable/GetIfEntry from NT and
older

> So, is there any way to find out the current adapter name?
>
> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
>> No , e.g. in the case you have dial-up and ethernet OS set lowest to
> dial-up
>> IIRC, but route of lowest one will be tried first for sure
>> Arkady
>>
>> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Arkady,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your reply!
>> >
>> > I see that the metrics are as follows, now (they may change later):
>> >
>> > [1] The RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Adapters
>> > [2] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
>> > [3] Remote Access Mac
>> > [4] Remote Access WAN Wrapper
>> >
>> > Are you saying that the lowest metric will always be the current
> Ethernet
>> > adapter?
>> >
>> > Thanks again for your time,
>> >
>> > DRBarkley
>> >
>> > "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message

>> > which

> our

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 6:16:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

I didn't realize that there could be more than one in use.

Thanks very much for your replies,

> I don't know what you mean current , because if you have few and each one
> connect to different LAN each one is current.And all those you can
enumerate
> with GetAdaptersInfo() ( from W2K ) or GetIfTable/GetIfEntry from NT and
> older
> Arkady
>
> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
> > So, is there any way to find out the current adapter name?
> >
> > "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
> >> No , e.g. in the case you have dial-up and ethernet OS set lowest to
> > dial-up
> >> IIRC, but route of lowest one will be tried first for sure
> >> Arkady
> >>
> >> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message

> > Ethernet

> > our
NIC(s),

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:26:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Not at all. Just FYI.
If you have few , in each group ( e.g. two connected to one LAN , next two
to other ) , in each group current will be one with less metric , as I wrote
, so you have two currents in the case.
Arkady

"DrBarkley" <David.NOSPAMBarkley@L-3NOSPAMCom.com> wrote in message
news:o ObZR9RYFHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I didn't realize that there could be more than one in use.
>
> Thanks very much for your replies,
>
> DrBarkley
>
> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
>> I don't know what you mean current , because if you have few and each one
>> connect to different LAN each one is current.And all those you can
> enumerate
>> with GetAdaptersInfo() ( from W2K ) or GetIfTable/GetIfEntry from NT and
>> older
>> Arkady
>>
>> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
>> > So, is there any way to find out the current adapter name?
>> >
>> > "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
>> > dial-up

>> > Ethernet

> denotes

> of
>> > our
> NIC(s),

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:28:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Forgot to mention , the info you can receive by GetIpForwardTable()
Arkady

> Not at all. Just FYI.
> If you have few , in each group ( e.g. two connected to one LAN , next two
> to other ) , in each group current will be one with less metric , as I
> wrote , so you have two currents in the case.
> Arkady
>
> "DrBarkley" <David.NOSPAMBarkley@L-3NOSPAMCom.com> wrote in message
> news:o ObZR9RYFHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>I didn't realize that there could be more than one in use.
>>
>> Thanks very much for your replies,
>>
>> DrBarkley
>>
>> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
>>> I don't know what you mean current , because if you have few and each
>>> one
>>> connect to different LAN each one is current.And all those you can
>> enumerate
>>> with GetAdaptersInfo() ( from W2K ) or GetIfTable/GetIfEntry from NT and
>>> older
>>> Arkady
>>>
>>> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message

>> denotes

>> of
>> NIC(s),

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 12:33:20 AM

In article news:o ObZR9RYFHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, DrBarkley wrote:
> I didn't realize that there could be more than one in use.

I've just happened across this thread and this is the first useful
'answer' in it. When you initially asked "which of the listed adapters
is the one currently being used?", the answer you should have been given
is: there is no such thing, there is no such concept.

Unfortunately you were given misleading answers, including the
identification of the list of indexes for your adaptors as their TCP/IP
metrics... :-(

The only valid response to your question is: Why do you want to know
this, what will you use the information for? Are you using IP, IPX,
NetBIOS over LLC, or raw Ethernet frames...

> Thanks very much for your replies,
>
> DrBarkley
>
> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
>> I don't know what you mean current , because if you have few and
>> each one connect to different LAN each one is current.And all those
>> you can enumerate with GetAdaptersInfo() ( from W2K ) or
>> GetIfTable/GetIfEntry from NT and older
>> Arkady
>>
>> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message
>>> So, is there any way to find out the current adapter name?
>>>
>>> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message

--
Alan J. McFarlane
http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Alan,

I had given up on this thread, but stopped back by and saw your response.
Thanks for the reply.

I am a Visual Basic (VB6) programmer, and maintain software for an NT 4.0
product that we build.
Soon, we may be changing NIC providers, and I would like to have my software
capable of determining which NIC is installed.
Currently, I can have my software "look" at the first metric (1) to get the
adapter name, but, I don't know if this will always be true.

Thanks again,

DrBarkley

"Alan J. McFarlane" <alanjmcf@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote in message
> In article news:o ObZR9RYFHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, DrBarkley wrote:
> > I didn't realize that there could be more than one in use.
> >
> I've just happened across this thread and this is the first useful
> 'answer' in it. When you initially asked "which of the listed adapters
> is the one currently being used?", the answer you should have been given
> is: there is no such thing, there is no such concept.
>
> Unfortunately you were given misleading answers, including the
> identification of the list of indexes for your adaptors as their TCP/IP
> metrics... :-(
>
> The only valid response to your question is: Why do you want to know
> this, what will you use the information for? Are you using IP, IPX,
> NetBIOS over LLC, or raw Ethernet frames...
>

> > Thanks very much for your replies,
> >
> > DrBarkley
> >
> > "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
> >> I don't know what you mean current , because if you have few and
> >> each one connect to different LAN each one is current.And all those
> >> you can enumerate with GetAdaptersInfo() ( from W2K ) or
> >> GetIfTable/GetIfEntry from NT and older
> >> Arkady
> >>
> >> "DR Barkley" <David.Barkley@L-3Com.com> wrote in message

> --
> Alan J. McFarlane
> http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/
> Please follow-up in the newsgroup for the benefit of all.

June 7, 2005 1:21:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

I just realized that I hadn't answered your other question:

> > Are you using IP, IPX, NetBIOS over LLC, or raw Ethernet frames...

We are using IP.

"Dave" <David.NOSPAMBarkley@L-3NOSPAMCom.com> wrote in message
> Alan,
>
> I had given up on this thread, but stopped back by and saw your response.
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I am a Visual Basic (VB6) programmer, and maintain software for an NT 4.0
> product that we build.
> Soon, we may be changing NIC providers, and I would like to have my
software
> capable of determining which NIC is installed.
> Currently, I can have my software "look" at the first metric (1) to get
the
> adapter name, but, I don't know if this will always be true.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> DrBarkley
>
> "Alan J. McFarlane" <alanjmcf@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote in message
> > In article news:o ObZR9RYFHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, DrBarkley wrote:
> > > I didn't realize that there could be more than one in use.
> > >
> > I've just happened across this thread and this is the first useful
> > 'answer' in it. When you initially asked "which of the listed adapters
> > is the one currently being used?", the answer you should have been given
> > is: there is no such thing, there is no such concept.
> >
> > Unfortunately you were given misleading answers, including the
> > identification of the list of indexes for your adaptors as their TCP/IP
> > metrics... :-(
> >
> > The only valid response to your question is: Why do you want to know
> > this, what will you use the information for? Are you using IP, IPX,
> > NetBIOS over LLC, or raw Ethernet frames...
> >

> > > Thanks very much for your replies,
> > >
> > > DrBarkley
> > >
> > > "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message

> > --
> > Alan J. McFarlane
> > http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/
> > Please follow-up in the newsgroup for the benefit of all.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:44:33 PM

In article <eggwRZ1aFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
Dave <David.NOSPAMBarkley@L-3NOSPAMCom.com> wrote:
>I am a Visual Basic (VB6) programmer, and maintain software for an NT
>4.0 product that we build.
>Soon, we may be changing NIC providers, and I would like to have my
>software capable of determining which NIC is installed.

The first few bytes of the MAC identifies the manufacturer.

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

In article news:uKEBOP2aFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl, Dave wrote:

> "Dave" <David.NOSPAMBarkley@L-3NOSPAMCom.com> wrote in message
>> I am a Visual Basic (VB6) programmer, and maintain software for an
>> NT 4.0 product that we build.
>> Soon, we may be changing NIC providers, and I would like to have my
>> software capable of determining which NIC is installed.
>> Currently, I can have my software "look" at the first metric (1) to
>> get the adapter name, but, I don't know if this will always be true.

That is NOT the metric!!!

> I just realized that I hadn't answered your other question:
>
>>> Are you using IP, IPX, NetBIOS over LLC, or raw Ethernet frames...
>
> We are using IP.

The most important question still needs to be answered: Why do you want
to know? And that's the high level reason for it, the reason why the
user of the program needs the program to manually select a interface. I
can think of almost no good reason to write code that selects an
interface by name chosen at compile time.

Particularly since you are using IP which is layered over ther Link
Layer and means you should only very very rarely need to care about the
Link Layer devices. There's the routing table, including the metric
settings, etc to allow one to allow the administrator to control what
interfaces are used for what.

>> "Alan J. McFarlane" <alanjmcf@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> I've just happened across this thread and this is the first useful
>>> 'answer' in it. When you initially asked "which of the listed
>>> adapters is the one currently being used?", the answer you should
>>> have been given is: there is no such thing, there is no such
>>> concept.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately you were given misleading answers, including the
>>> identification of the list of indexes for your adaptors as their
>>> TCP/IP metrics... :-(
>>>
>>> The only valid response to your question is: Why do you want to know
>>> this, what will you use the information for? Are you using IP, IPX,
>>> NetBIOS over LLC, or raw Ethernet frames...

>>> --
>>> Alan J. McFarlane
>>> http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/
>>> Please follow-up in the newsgroup for the benefit of all.

--
Alan J. McFarlane
http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/
Please follow-up in the newsgroup for the benefit of all.
June 9, 2005 4:15:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Thanks again, Alan.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something, as I am not very knowledgeable in
this area.

Before the responses on this thread, the card name was a hardcoded
("RTL81391").

Now, my program gets the Network Interface Card(NIC) name as follows:
AdapterName = QueryValue("Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\1", "ServiceName") ' currently returns
RTL81391
(QueryValue uses RegOpenKeyEx and QueryValueEx to return the info
requested)
AdapterName is used to determine the appropriate adapter key:
Ethernet_Adapter_Parameters_Key = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\" &
AdapterName & "\Parameters\Tcpip"
Which allows the program/user to get/set the IP Address, SubnetMask, and
Gateway.
(The IP address is static on each of the machines--for reasons beyond
me).

In the future, we may have 100 units with one NIC, and 100 others with a
different NIC.
But, I want my software to work with either.

I hope this makes more sense...

Thank you,

Dave

> In article news:uKEBOP2aFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl, Dave wrote:
>
> > "Dave" <David.NOSPAMBarkley@L-3NOSPAMCom.com> wrote in message
> >> I am a Visual Basic (VB6) programmer, and maintain software for an
> >> NT 4.0 product that we build.
> >> Soon, we may be changing NIC providers, and I would like to have my
> >> software capable of determining which NIC is installed.
> >> Currently, I can have my software "look" at the first metric (1) to
> >> get the adapter name, but, I don't know if this will always be true.
> >>
> That is NOT the metric!!!
>
> > I just realized that I hadn't answered your other question:

> > We are using IP.
> >
> The most important question still needs to be answered: Why do you want
> to know? And that's the high level reason for it, the reason why the
> user of the program needs the program to manually select a interface. I
> can think of almost no good reason to write code that selects an
> interface by name chosen at compile time.
>
> Particularly since you are using IP which is layered over ther Link
> Layer and means you should only very very rarely need to care about the
> Link Layer devices. There's the routing table, including the metric
> settings, etc to allow one to allow the administrator to control what
> interfaces are used for what.
>

> >> "Alan J. McFarlane" <alanjmcf@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote in message

> --
> Alan J. McFarlane
> http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/
> Please follow-up in the newsgroup for the benefit of all.

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:25:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

You can use less metric to see which adapter's route preffered by TCP stack
only. E.g. if you have few adapters with the same route (
destination/mask/gateway ) the one with less metric will be used but all are
installed for sure
Arkady

!