Internet Explorer takes 5 minutes to load

August 14, 2004 2:42:04 AM

I have XP home with all the latest updates installed, a fairly fast computer
with 512Mb RAM and have up to date virus scanner.

When I click internet explorer just after booting up it takes 5 minutes to
start.

If I click it twice one copy starts immediately and can be used normally,
then 5 minutes later a second instance starts. It seems that the first
attempt to start it triggers or initialises something that then allows
subsequence instances to start OK.

If I boot, leave it alone for 5+ minutes, then click IE it starts without
delay.

Anybody got any idea what may cause this?
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:42:05 AM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:42:04 +0100, "Lorne"
<Lorne_Anderson@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When I click internet explorer just after booting up it takes 5 minutes to
>start.
>
>If I boot, leave it alone for 5+ minutes, then click IE it starts without
>delay.
>
>Anybody got any idea what may cause this?

Watch your hard drive light when starting your computer... there is a
LOT of activity as Windows and all of your "services" are loaded

The computer where I am now takes 3-4 minutes to load everything and
then be totally ready for me to run programs

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
August 14, 2004 2:42:06 AM

Dang! Sounds like startup programs need to be cleaned up.

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 4:36:34 AM

If it can't start IE until the start up programs are all loaded how come
clicking IE twice starts one instance of it straight away whilst the second
instance pops up 5 minutes later?

Also, I believe XP is designed to load the essentials first and quickly so
that the user can start working straight away while non-essentials are
loaded in the background later.

In my case the hard disk stops running a long time before IE starts, and all
other software on the computer can be started without waiting. I am not
trying to start IE until all icons are visible in the quick launch bar so
most if not all the start-up programs are running. The 5 minute delay is
from when I click the IE icon to when IE starts - not how long it takes the
computer to boot since I am not trying to start IE until after the boot
appears to finish.

Anybody got any other ideas?

!