NT Server recognize USB devices

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My church has an old NT server box and they want to use an external USB
drive to back up their data instead of the tape backup (plus it works
sporadically)
The server is a gateway and has a USB port, but does the o/s recognize that?

Thanks
Roger

No, NT does not natively support USB. If upgrading the server is not an
option, check out some of the links here.
http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+nt+usb+support

Ray at work

"Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My church has an old NT server box and they want to use an external USB
> drive to back up their data instead of the tape backup (plus it works
> sporadically)
> The server is a gateway and has a USB port, but does the o/s recognize
that?

> Thanks
> Roger

Calvin

Hi Roger,

support of an external USB hard disk under NT4 is easy to accomplish. Have a
look at:

http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/usb.htm

for a rundown on how to achieve this.

DO NOT believe the doomsayers who flatly state 'USB is not supported under NT4'
or 'Upgrade to Win2k/XP' - they obviously spend FAR too much time listening to
the Microsoft PR department and far too little time thinking for themselves !

Calvin.

Yes, try them out, and please report back to us, I have tried them, they are
all flakey and buggy at best. Good luck.

Calvin

Hi Marvin,

The IONetworks solution works fine. From all reports to date, Woodhead's
solution also functions well.

What precisely did you find 'flakey' about them ??

Calvin.