velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi, when they say a dual core is 2.4ghz for example, is each core 2.4ghz making the processor 4.8ghz? or is each core 1.2ghz making the processor 2.4ghz?

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
When it's dual core each processor is 2.4ghz.
Lets take an example. The AMD X2 4800+ for example. It runs at 2.4ghz which means each core is at 2.4ghz. The 4800+ is just a model # like 840D is a model #. It doesn't mean anything, in the past it meant the equvalent to a pentium, but now it's just a model ##

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
I've said it a millino times, but here' i'll say it once again
Dual Core does not give you a combined MHZ of the two CPU's

2.4 dual core is NOT 4.8ghz

it's 2 At 2.4. Read my Dualcore and you thread

which i can't find... where is it... sticky the damn thing and we can stop with these annoying questions

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
2.4 x2 = 2.4x2. Really! The cores are doing separate tasks, each core is doing its task at 2.4GHz. That way you can run more tasks without making the system slow down, but the system wouldn't be faster running a single task.

WildMan

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
The cores are doing separate tasks, each core is doing its task at 2.4GHz. That way you can run more tasks without making the system slow down, but the system wouldn't be faster running a single task.

Crashman's statement is absoloutly correct. But with that being said; what is true is that you can give an application an "Affinity" to one CPU core or the other.

Should you set your system up to use "Affinity", you can have one task/application (let's call it application A)being executed say only on CPU 1; and all other applicatins running on CPU 0. So the net effect is that "Applicagtion A" has all the resources of CPU 1's capacity. Now, this doesn't say anything about common memory useage or access to disk drives and the such; but; presuming "Application A" can effectively use "ALL" the resources of CPU 1; then it should complete faster than running "Application A" on a single cored CPU of the same frequency.

I can see using "CPU Affinity" for such things as Electronic Circuit modeling; validation or things like that.... or perhaps assigning a Game to CPU n.... but outside of that.... I can't quite figure out why a "Home Abuser" would ever consider using "CPU Affinity."

Hope this helps.