disk space and psrtitioning.

I am running short on my c: drive on the server. I can delete a few
things..... I can also buy volume maanger and extend the partition that way,
but it is an expensive program at $700.00

can I manually increase the c: drive partition from 4 to 7 gigs?

thnaks
7 answers Last reply
More about disk space psrtitioning

    Hi Alan,

    You can increase the size of the c:\ if you wish - but a bit more information is
    needed from you first:

    1. This is a Win NT4 box we are talking about I presume ?
    2. Are there any other disks/partitions on this system, and if so how much space
    is there on them ?
    3. How is your system setup - ie: where is the \winnt folder and child tree
    located - on c:\ ?

    On NT4 there are some limitations on where things can go and how big the system
    and boot partitions can be. Have a read of http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/bigdisk.htm
    as an introduction to what can be done.

    A common practice if space if becoming a problem on the system and/or boot
    partitions is to relocate the print spool folder and the pagefile to other areas
    of disk space. A big cleanup of unwanted garbage (eg: .tmp files, IE cache and
    no longer needed 'backout' files for hotfixes) can free up several hundred MB of
    space quite easily. Have a look at http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/patch.htm for
    discussion of post hotfix cleanup.

    Hope this gets you started in the right direction. If you can give us more to go
    on, I'm sure we can come up with more help.

    Calvin.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Calvin,,

    Here's my info

    -NT 4 server
    -Running Exchnge 5.5 with Small Business server( the SBS probably not
    relevant for this issue I think)
    - 3 hard drives (scsi each 14gig).... the c: drive was auto formatted to 4
    gigs and there's still 7-8 gig's unformatted upon inital install.

    I use the other 2 hrad drives for some backup and misc storage. I can clear
    one off clompletely if needed.

    I have also never set up internal web sites or anything like that. I use
    this primarily as the company smtp mail and to make sure I have all company
    documents havbe a second place to reside as a secondary backup.

    One of the replies to my original post mentioned partition magic. I checked
    with a friend of mine at symantec,(although in the anti-virus group).... and
    I read the on-line specs of the product...If I am mistaken PLEASE let me
    know....but I do not hink that partition magic will help me out on an NT
    server?

    thanks in advance for your next reply

    Alan

    "Calvin" wrote:

    > Hi Alan,
    >
    > You can increase the size of the c:\ if you wish - but a bit more information is
    > needed from you first:
    >
    > 1. This is a Win NT4 box we are talking about I presume ?
    > 2. Are there any other disks/partitions on this system, and if so how much space
    > is there on them ?
    > 3. How is your system setup - ie: where is the \winnt folder and child tree
    > located - on c:\ ?
    >
    > On NT4 there are some limitations on where things can go and how big the system
    > and boot partitions can be. Have a read of http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/bigdisk.htm
    > as an introduction to what can be done.
    >
    > A common practice if space if becoming a problem on the system and/or boot
    > partitions is to relocate the print spool folder and the pagefile to other areas
    > of disk space. A big cleanup of unwanted garbage (eg: .tmp files, IE cache and
    > no longer needed 'backout' files for hotfixes) can free up several hundred MB of
    > space quite easily. Have a look at http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/patch.htm for
    > discussion of post hotfix cleanup.
    >
    > Hope this gets you started in the right direction. If you can give us more to go
    > on, I'm sure we can come up with more help.
    >
    > Calvin.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    "alan fluhrer" <alanfluhrer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > I am running short on my c: drive on the server. I can delete a few
    > things..... I can also buy volume maanger and extend the partition that
    way,
    > but it is an expensive program at $700.00

    That seems a bit excessive. I use Symantec Partition Magic which I think
    cost about $50.

    > can I manually increase the c: drive partition from 4 to 7 gigs?

    You can use a partition size of 7Gb if you use NTFS. The FAT file system can
    only support up to 4096Mb. Can you manually increase it? Sort of. You would
    back up the entire drive, create the larger partition and then restore.

    Another thing to consider is that a larger system partition will slow the
    system down overall. If you have space on the drive, you are better off to
    create a second partition and use that as someone else suggested.

    Brian
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    It won't run on a server OS but you might get away with putting the drive
    temporarily in a workstation to do the work.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Brian" wrote:
    | That seems a bit excessive. I use Symantec Partition Magic which I think
    | cost about $50.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Dave,

    I did consider this but wondered the following:

    since the server drive, on power-up..."looks' for certain hardware to be
    there, (already installed audio, vieo etc...... wouldn't the OS just give you
    masssive errors because it cannot verify these devices?

    thanks

    Alan

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > It won't run on a server OS but you might get away with putting the drive
    > temporarily in a workstation to do the work.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Brian" wrote:
    > | That seems a bit excessive. I use Symantec Partition Magic which I think
    > | cost about $50.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Not sure what you're getting at. What I mentioned was possibly slaving the
    drive in a Windows NT workstation. Be sure you're completely backed up
    before trying that. In other words always expect the worst.

    --

    "alan fluhrer" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | I did consider this but wondered the following:
    |
    | since the server drive, on power-up..."looks' for certain hardware to be
    | there, (already installed audio, vieo etc...... wouldn't the OS just give
    you
    | masssive errors because it cannot verify these devices?
    |
    | thanks
    |
    | Alan
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hi Alan,

    A lot of the problems as far as partition size are concerned (as discussed at
    http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/bigdisk.htm ) will be 'non-issues' in your case because
    the problems are unique to IDE drives and the Microsoft supplied ATAPI driver.

    Certainly, you should be able to increase your c: drive (it's a combined
    system/boot partition going by what you have said) to at least 7.8GB in size
    without trouble. I'm not 100% sure whether going bigger than 7.8GB is wise - the
    problems related with not being able to reach files outside the 7.8GB boundary
    imposed by the CHS addressing scheme that NTLDR uses may still be apparent.

    I'm not familiar with partition magic, but have seen reports here of people
    getting it to work successfully. What Dave said is correct as far as I know
    though, it cannot be used on NT4 server, and you would have to temporarily slave
    the drive on a NT4 Workstation machine to give this process a go.

    The alternative may be to (rough idea, exact details would need some research):

    1. Take the server offline.
    2. Do a COMPLETE backup of everything on the system/boot partition.
    3. Temporarily install a 'parallel' copy of NT onto another of the disks.
    4. Boot to the parallel install.
    5. Reformat the old system/boot partition to it's new required size.
    6. Restore all the content from the backup.

    This simple list does not take into account some of the 'details' like ensuring
    that the partition is bootable when you are done. Other backup/restore
    technologies like Drive Image or Norton Ghost would probably have better chances
    of succeeding at this procedure on the first go :-)

    This is one of the reasons why I prefer the methods I outline in
    http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/bigdisk.htm - using a separate system partition
    formatted FAT16. It is then a relatively uncomplicated process to make the
    partition 'bootable' again if need be. The boot partition (the one with \Winnt
    directory tree - Microsoft terminology of 'boot' and 'system' partitions is
    downright complicated and confusing) is then just an NTFS partition that can be
    backed up, reformatted and resized and restored at any time without any of these
    'bootstrap' issues arising.

    Seeing you have plenty of room elsewhere, have you considered my suggestions of
    shifting your print spool and pagefile elsewhere ? This can save you a lot of
    space and at least temporarily save you from having to take any action over the
    size of drive c: :-)

    Hope this info helps,

    Calvin.

Partition Disk Space Windows