Operating system can't load, file is missing or corrupt

Hi People,

I have a NT 4.0 machine that won't boot, and gives the following error:
The following file is missing or corrupt:
\\winnt\system32\config\SystemHardware Profile/ Last known good menu.

Does anyone know a way to fix this other than to format and reinstall the
operating system?

Thanks......Bill
3 answers Last reply
More about operating system load file missing corrupt

    This typically can only be fixed by using a current backup of the System
    hive of the registry. This is one of the worst errors to get as basically it
    is saying it cannot load that part of the registry which a MAJOR part of the
    OS. You could try and install a parallel copy of NT, install NT again into a
    different partition(making this system dual boot for recovery purposes), and
    then rename the System.alt file to System and try to boot back into the
    original install but this error indicates that it cannot load the System or
    the System.alt file so this probably won't work. Any other ideas guys? Have
    a look here. Remember that a old ERD is no good!!

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;167233

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi People,
    >
    > I have a NT 4.0 machine that won't boot, and gives the following error:
    > The following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \\winnt\system32\config\SystemHardware Profile/ Last known good menu.
    >
    > Does anyone know a way to fix this other than to format and reinstall the
    > operating system?
    >
    > Thanks......Bill
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Thanks, I didn't think it would be easy.

    Bill

    "Scott Harding" wrote:

    > This typically can only be fixed by using a current backup of the System
    > hive of the registry. This is one of the worst errors to get as basically it
    > is saying it cannot load that part of the registry which a MAJOR part of the
    > OS. You could try and install a parallel copy of NT, install NT again into a
    > different partition(making this system dual boot for recovery purposes), and
    > then rename the System.alt file to System and try to boot back into the
    > original install but this error indicates that it cannot load the System or
    > the System.alt file so this probably won't work. Any other ideas guys? Have
    > a look here. Remember that a old ERD is no good!!
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;167233
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi People,
    > >
    > > I have a NT 4.0 machine that won't boot, and gives the following error:
    > > The following file is missing or corrupt:
    > > \\winnt\system32\config\SystemHardware Profile/ Last known good menu.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know a way to fix this other than to format and reinstall the
    > > operating system?
    > >
    > > Thanks......Bill

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    This article may help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;102721

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "bill" wrote:
    | Hi People,
    |
    | I have a NT 4.0 machine that won't boot, and gives the following error:
    | The following file is missing or corrupt:
    | \\winnt\system32\config\SystemHardware Profile/ Last known good menu.
    |
    | Does anyone know a way to fix this other than to format and reinstall the
    | operating system?
    |
    | Thanks......Bill

Configuration Microsoft Windows