Sign in with
Your question

building a system and have a question

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2005 7:06:18 PM

If I build a system from the ground up (i.e. new mobo, new proc, new memory etc) and reuse a hard drive from an existing computer do I need to reformat and reinstall the HD or will the settings configure themselves.
I no that seems like a basic question....but, if I knewe the answer I wouldnt be asking.

Also, if I did need to reformat and reinstall os in new rig, is it possible to use an oem supplied winxp home reinstall disc (save from a dell dimension system) or would it require a non oem retail version.

One other thing, I plan on upgrading home ed. to xp pro as I have some unused licenses available for use.

Thank you in advance for the help!
December 14, 2005 8:07:41 PM

You need to reformat if you are putting the drive into a new system.

Not 100% sure but my guess is that one of those "Rescue Discs" that comes with a PC that you buy at a store...... probably won't work and install a fresh copy of the operating system.

However, you probably do have a valid CD key for Windows and can download or borrow a CD from a friend. If you actually own a license, it wouldn't be morally wrong to get the software from other sources.
December 15, 2005 11:17:20 AM

True, however, I wish to keep the dell installed oem xp home edition on my existing computer

The only thing I actually have a unused license for is xp pro upgrade.
But, I dont think its actually an upgrade cd, rather an upgrade license. So, Im not sure it would ever matter or Billy The Gates would find out :) 

Trying to stay ethical, yet economical at the same time.

Thanks for all the replies. I will come up with something
December 15, 2005 4:38:16 PM

Quote:
Also, if I did need to reformat and reinstall os in new rig, is it possible to use an oem supplied winxp home reinstall disc (save from a dell dimension system) or would it require a non oem retail version.

It won't work. Dell's rescue CD (which has WinXP on it) checks to make sure you have a Dell BIOS. If you don't it won't work. You'll need to buy a retail copy of Pro or just get a pirated one like 50% of the enthusiast world does.

-mpjesse
!