Restoring an orphan to RAID 5

We have an old NT server that has an adaptec RAID controller running a 3
drive RAID 5 (D: Partition) The C: Partition is a Mirror on Drives 0 and 1.
The D: partition on Drive 0 became orphaned today. My Question is, can I try
an regenerate it as is, becuase the C: Mirror is still healthy and the Drive
is visible to the controller on boot, or do I have to stick a blank drive in
to regenerate the orphan. Also, what happens if I do try an regenerate with
existing drive, but there is a problem with it, will I lose the array?
Thanks

drive 0 is in a mirror for C:, and also in a raid 5 set for D:?

"Mike Rainey" wrote:

> We have an old NT server that has an adaptec RAID controller running a 3
> drive RAID 5 (D: Partition) The C: Partition is a Mirror on Drives 0 and 1.
> The D: partition on Drive 0 became orphaned today. My Question is, can I try
> an regenerate it as is, becuase the C: Mirror is still healthy and the Drive
> is visible to the controller on boot, or do I have to stick a blank drive in
> to regenerate the orphan. Also, what happens if I do try an regenerate with
> existing drive, but there is a problem with it, will I lose the array?
> Thanks

I bet you have the same look on your face now that I had when i opened disk
admin. This is in fact the case, which makes we wonder why the mirror is
still healthy, but it orphaned that part of the RAID. The C: partition is a
500 MB mirror, and the D: is about 3.4 GB. I cracked the case last night and
there are only 3 drives installed. I am half tempted to try and regenerate
the array as is, but if I lose the array, I am Screwed. Any suggestions?

"Marvin P. Winterbottom" wrote:

> drive 0 is in a mirror for C:, and also in a raid 5 set for D:?
>
> "Mike Rainey" wrote:
>
> > We have an old NT server that has an adaptec RAID controller running a 3
> > drive RAID 5 (D: Partition) The C: Partition is a Mirror on Drives 0 and 1.
> > The D: partition on Drive 0 became orphaned today. My Question is, can I try
> > an regenerate it as is, becuase the C: Mirror is still healthy and the Drive
> > is visible to the controller on boot, or do I have to stick a blank drive in
> > to regenerate the orphan. Also, what happens if I do try an regenerate with
> > existing drive, but there is a problem with it, will I lose the array?
> > Thanks

It sounds like the RAID is hardware through the controller card, and both C:
and D: are partitions on the RAID 5 set, in Disk Admin, there is a
"software" mirror for C: If that is the case, the software mirror for C: is
basically useless, because with the raid 5 you are already protected from
physical drive failure, like you have now. SO, go ahead and put in a new
drive, or try to re-gen the old one, because it's basically gone now. And
you might as well get rid of the mirror and free up the room.
(I think?)