Restoring an orphan to RAID 5

We have an old NT server that has an adaptec RAID controller running a 3
drive RAID 5 (D: Partition) The C: Partition is a Mirror on Drives 0 and 1.
The D: partition on Drive 0 became orphaned today. My Question is, can I try
an regenerate it as is, becuase the C: Mirror is still healthy and the Drive
is visible to the controller on boot, or do I have to stick a blank drive in
to regenerate the orphan. Also, what happens if I do try an regenerate with
existing drive, but there is a problem with it, will I lose the array?
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about restoring orphan raid

    drive 0 is in a mirror for C:, and also in a raid 5 set for D:?

    "Mike Rainey" wrote:

    > We have an old NT server that has an adaptec RAID controller running a 3
    > drive RAID 5 (D: Partition) The C: Partition is a Mirror on Drives 0 and 1.
    > The D: partition on Drive 0 became orphaned today. My Question is, can I try
    > an regenerate it as is, becuase the C: Mirror is still healthy and the Drive
    > is visible to the controller on boot, or do I have to stick a blank drive in
    > to regenerate the orphan. Also, what happens if I do try an regenerate with
    > existing drive, but there is a problem with it, will I lose the array?
    > Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    I bet you have the same look on your face now that I had when i opened disk
    admin. This is in fact the case, which makes we wonder why the mirror is
    still healthy, but it orphaned that part of the RAID. The C: partition is a
    500 MB mirror, and the D: is about 3.4 GB. I cracked the case last night and
    there are only 3 drives installed. I am half tempted to try and regenerate
    the array as is, but if I lose the array, I am Screwed. Any suggestions?

    "Marvin P. Winterbottom" wrote:

    > drive 0 is in a mirror for C:, and also in a raid 5 set for D:?
    >
    > "Mike Rainey" wrote:
    >
    > > We have an old NT server that has an adaptec RAID controller running a 3
    > > drive RAID 5 (D: Partition) The C: Partition is a Mirror on Drives 0 and 1.
    > > The D: partition on Drive 0 became orphaned today. My Question is, can I try
    > > an regenerate it as is, becuase the C: Mirror is still healthy and the Drive
    > > is visible to the controller on boot, or do I have to stick a blank drive in
    > > to regenerate the orphan. Also, what happens if I do try an regenerate with
    > > existing drive, but there is a problem with it, will I lose the array?
    > > Thanks
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    It sounds like the RAID is hardware through the controller card, and both C:
    and D: are partitions on the RAID 5 set, in Disk Admin, there is a
    "software" mirror for C: If that is the case, the software mirror for C: is
    basically useless, because with the raid 5 you are already protected from
    physical drive failure, like you have now. SO, go ahead and put in a new
    drive, or try to re-gen the old one, because it's basically gone now. And
    you might as well get rid of the mirror and free up the room.
    (I think?)

    "Mike Rainey" wrote:

    > I bet you have the same look on your face now that I had when i opened disk
    > admin. This is in fact the case, which makes we wonder why the mirror is
    > still healthy, but it orphaned that part of the RAID. The C: partition is a
    > 500 MB mirror, and the D: is about 3.4 GB. I cracked the case last night and
    > there are only 3 drives installed. I am half tempted to try and regenerate
    > the array as is, but if I lose the array, I am Screwed. Any suggestions?
    >
    > "Marvin P. Winterbottom" wrote:
    >
    > > drive 0 is in a mirror for C:, and also in a raid 5 set for D:?
    > >
    > > "Mike Rainey" wrote:
    > >
    > > > We have an old NT server that has an adaptec RAID controller running a 3
    > > > drive RAID 5 (D: Partition) The C: Partition is a Mirror on Drives 0 and 1.
    > > > The D: partition on Drive 0 became orphaned today. My Question is, can I try
    > > > an regenerate it as is, becuase the C: Mirror is still healthy and the Drive
    > > > is visible to the controller on boot, or do I have to stick a blank drive in
    > > > to regenerate the orphan. Also, what happens if I do try an regenerate with
    > > > existing drive, but there is a problem with it, will I lose the array?
    > > > Thanks

NAS / RAID Partition Windows