Outlook Express

August 13, 2004 7:36:20 PM

For some reason outlook express atomatically removes
attachments for safety reasons, can anyone tell me how to
stop it doing this? Thanks in advance

More about : outlook express

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 7:48:05 PM

Tools>Options>Security. Uncheck: "Do not allow
attachments................."

And see these articles about virus protection in OE 6:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291387
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#oe6attach

--
Bruce Hagen
~IB-CA~

"Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason outlook express atomatically removes
> attachments for safety reasons, can anyone tell me how to
> stop it doing this? Thanks in advance
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 7:48:19 PM

Go to Tools, select Options,
go to the Security tab, remove the check from "Do not allow attachments to
be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" and click apply and
ok.

NOTE: you should always first save attachments and scan for viruses before
opening. Most viruses are received from friends and people we know.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason outlook express atomatically removes
> attachments for safety reasons, can anyone tell me how to
> stop it doing this? Thanks in advance
August 13, 2004 7:59:51 PM

In news:601901c48185$f4b2f9a0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Gail <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> For some reason outlook express atomatically removes
> attachments for safety reasons, can anyone tell me how to
> stop it doing this? Thanks in advance

Not just for some reason, but for a very good reason.
Starting with SP1, Outlook Express does this by default, for any
file type which can contain a virus. It's not a virus checker,
doesn't actually check the attachments, and this doesn't mean
that there actually is a virus there.

Such attachments are very risky. You often see advice not to open
attachments from people you don't know. I think that that's one
of the most dangerous pieces of advice you see around, because it
implies that it's safe to do the opposite--open attachments from
friends and relatives. But many viruses spread by sending
themselves to everyone in the infected party's address book, so
attachments received from friends are perhaps the most risky to
open.

Personally I think what Outlook Express does is good; I never
open executable attachments at all, except from a very few
trusted sources, and then only when I'm expecting them. But if
you want to remove this safeguard, it's easy to do so: go to
Tools | Options, and on the security tab, uncheck "Do not allow
attachments..."

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 11:09:44 PM

Greetings --

Nothing has been removed, not really.

Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
protect you. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment actually
contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of those file
types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook Express,
Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to
be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" option, assuming
you trust the source, of course. The wiser course of action, however,
would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as outlined in the KB
articles below:

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291369

OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: