hey i had a HUGE problem with my computer plz help me !!

phoenix_bladen

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
my computer crashes has a blue screen for no reason...... and when i boot up the computer sometimes during the windows screen it lags and it stops loading...... and then when i reset the computer it says DISK BOOT FAILURE......

i had a 380 watt with amd althon 64 3200+ , geforce 7800 gtx sli ready, 300 gb hard drive, sound blaster audigy etc

when i went to the computer store they told me it might be my power supply so i upgraded to a 550 watts so far no problem

ALSO..... before i was using a 380 watt...... and then i was hooking my power bar onto a extension cable and that extension cable hooked onto the wall outlet......

can someone confirm to me if it really was a shortage of power ? i don't seem to have nay problems now but i still feel insecure until someone can give me a final answer...... plz thanks !

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well the system you had realy pushed that 380watt to the max.. and if it was a noname brand that realy isnt even 380watts then i wouldnt argue that the psu was bad. That harddrive and video card take alot of power.... you should atleast have a 450W for your pc in the first place.

chuck817

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
yea i would have to say under powered as well but
I would urge you to go out someplace and get a surge protected powerbar
or a UPS to protect your system

shadowspank

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I would agree with every post here I would not use the extation cord get that out of there they are not good for computers I have seen them catch on file they have every low power rateing and your pushing it get a good apc or monster cable power strip or just get a apc power strip with a ups. Your system was maxing out the 350 power supply.

phoenix_bladen

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
wow guys thanks.... seriously i didn't know the PSU could have been this bad

like i guess i didn't have the knowledge for that... my computer kept crashing i was like wtf? cause like ... it was brand new... the parts couldn't have been defected right?

well anyways what can you recommend me to get for power bars and or UPS systems ?

can a power bar enhance my power ? thanks!

chuck817

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
no a power bar can not enhace your power
but a ups
will protect your computer from
power surges
under voltages
and for a short time power outages this depends on the load you put on the ups and the amount of time the power is out

Darren480

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Yeah, these guys are right. I'm installing a 6800GT and am going to install a 430watt Antec Truepower II to handle the extra 350watt load. My board is also an Athlon 3200+.

It would seem you're probably right on the cusp of not having enough juice.

And definitely do get that extention cord out of there. Those things aren't always grounded properly and are not intended to take the load your computer is drawing. Even if it's not causing your trouble, it's definitely a weak link and easy enough to change out compared to the risk you take leaving it.

Darren480

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't trust the new power supply either. You didn't list a name, and most stores sell the cheapest, crappiest parts they can. They have good reason: When a bad power supply blows half the parts in your system, they can sell you a bunch of parts. So why not sell someone an unreliable power supply that could blow up at any time?

chuck817

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Thats why you stick to brand names such as:

ENERMAX
OCZ
ThermalTake

Not only do these companies give a great warrantee but most of them back up there claim stating that if there power supply is at fault and your system is dammaged they will replace your entire system not just the power supply

but the down side is yea you pay for the brand name most times 50 to 150% more for the same wattage

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortron Source makes good power supplies for 2/3 the price of typical "name brands", of course that's still 50% more than typical "bargain brands". They even have better voltage stability than Antec in many situations.

chuck817

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Fortron Source makes good power supplies for 2/3 the price of typical "name brands", of course that's still 50% more than typical "bargain brands". They even have better voltage stability than Antec in many situations.

AHHHH BUT REMEMBER ONE THING
a great warrantee is worth its weight in gold if something goes snap in that power supply then you lost a computer

and I should know I fix computers for a living and I am a gamer the rest of the time
for every 20 computers that had a complete melt down 1 is linked to a bad power supply
and most times when you take the power supply back to the store you get bubkus they. will state thats is your fault or they will state that it was a power surge or the warantee is up

so my IDEA READ THE WARRANTEE before you hook up the computer
if you dont like it or agree with it the take it back to the store and get another brand

dudeofdahouse

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
heybuddy
it could be the powet supply,u have nice card and okay computer... u gota feed it niceley, umm try getting the windows installation cd if the computer wont go on windows or stuff.... or get like a recovery disk from the company you have the computer, email me anytime if u need anything
peace out good luck buddy

Finneus

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Yep, I had a similar thing happen to me last spring....the PSU screwed up the boot record on my hard drive too before it went, it can be one heck of a nightmare. I would also have to agree with what Darren said by not hooking up via extension cords..... depending on the type of cord, the power draw and the length the power is traveling, it can cause problems as well.