Matrox G200 MMS G2+ QUAD PCI Video card/cable

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is this card any good? And can it be used along with my AGP Ti4200/128?

Matrox G200 MMS G2+ QUAD PCI Video card/cable
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Quilljar wrote:
> boB
>
> I think it is an old card, but all the Matrox cards are good. Have a look at
> their site with descriptions here
>
> http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/prev_prod.cfm
>

> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

Thanks for that site. It tells me a lot. I found these cards on Ebay
and I asked the seller if I could use that Matrox PCI card along with my
Ti4200 AGP card and he replied:

You asked:
"Can this PCI Matrox card be used with a nVidea Ti4200/128 dual head AGP
card which will then allow 6 monitors. If not, will this card allow 4
separate CRT/Flat Screen monitors?"

Yes this card can be used with your existing AGP video card allowing 6
monitors. I have used this Matrox PCI card with a Nvidia AGP card
before. Thanks For more information on multi-display:
http://www.matrox.com/mga/multidisplay/

I am suspicious.

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> Thanks for that site. It tells me a lot. I found these cards on Ebay
> and I asked the seller if I could use that Matrox PCI card along with
> my Ti4200 AGP card and he replied:

> You asked:
> "Can this PCI Matrox card be used with a nVidea Ti4200/128 dual head
> AGP card which will then allow 6 monitors. If not, will this card
> allow 4 separate CRT/Flat Screen monitors?"
>
> Yes this card can be used with your existing AGP video card allowing 6
> monitors. I have used this Matrox PCI card with a Nvidia AGP card
> before. Thanks For more information on multi-display:
> http://www.matrox.com/mga/multidisplay/
boB,
I would go to the Matrox forum and ask the main guy there his opinion. I
think that my first Matrox card was a G200 and it supported two screens very
nicely. I did not try it in addition to another card, but I would not
foresee any conflict as long as you had the relevant slots. I only changed
it to get the later three screen card!
The Matrox forum is excellent , very like this NG, and so before spending
cash, check with them. If the G200 is a good price, then I am sure it will
be OK. Originally it cost about $500 US I think.
Cheers,

Quilly

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Quilljar wrote:

> boB,
> I would go to the Matrox forum and ask the main guy there his opinion. I
> think that my first Matrox card was a G200 and it supported two screens very
> nicely. I did not try it in addition to another card, but I would not
> foresee any conflict as long as you had the relevant slots. I only changed
> it to get the later three screen card!
> The Matrox forum is excellent , very like this NG, and so before spending
> cash, check with them. If the G200 is a good price, then I am sure it will
> be OK. Originally it cost about $500 US I think.
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

Thanks again Q. I'll log in tomorrow and ask. It's 3:30AM here now,
time for bed. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Talon

Greetings boB,

As Quilljar has indicated the G200 is a very old card (the technology was
written around AGP 2x so that will date it for you). I'm not sure that it
would deliver the performance that you are looking for. I also agree that
the Matrox forum is the place to go to get some detail on it. The problem
is the forums are closed on the weekends. I love my Matrox Parhelia card
and like Quilljar, considering it is four year old technology I wouldn't
switch for anything. The immersion factor in FS is amazing. As I have
posted in the past, I am using 5 monitors total (sometimes 6 using MaxiVista
software). I am using an NVidia powered FX5200 PCI card with 128 mb memory
to drive the two monitors that I undock my panels onto. Like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0

Granted it is not the Quad card like you were looking at, but I'm afraid
that this card will have some performance issues since it is not really
directed at the gamer. I don't know what type of directX support it has and
it only seems to be available with up to 32mb of memory.

With that said, I started poking around ebay and I found this
auction.........you might consider going this route instead. This card is a
great deal if no one else jumps on it and drives the price too high. You
would find the performance to be faster than with your current AGP card (I
replaced a Ti4600 card to put the Parhelia in.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40160&item=5174313304&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

As well as this one..........even the buy it now is a good price......albeit
a little pricey for old technology but when you consider the specialized
nature of what it can do it is a bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40160&item=5173574598&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

My Parhelia setup:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/talon_90th/album?.dir=7903&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Cheers,
Paul

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Quilljar wrote:
>
> > boB,
> > I would go to the Matrox forum and ask the main guy there his opinion. I
> > think that my first Matrox card was a G200 and it supported two screens
very
> > nicely. I did not try it in addition to another card, but I would not
> > foresee any conflict as long as you had the relevant slots. I only
changed
> > it to get the later three screen card!
> > The Matrox forum is excellent , very like this NG, and so before
spending
> > cash, check with them. If the G200 is a good price, then I am sure it
will
> > be OK. Originally it cost about $500 US I think.
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Quilly
> >

> Thanks again Q. I'll log in tomorrow and ask. It's 3:30AM here now,
> time for bed. :)
>
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Talon wrote:
> Greetings boB,

> would find the performance to be faster than with your current AGP card (I
> replaced a Ti4600 card to put the Parhelia in.)
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40160&item=5174313304&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
> As well as this one..........even the buy it now is a good price......albeit
> a little pricey for old technology but when you consider the specialized
> nature of what it can do it is a bargain.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40160&item=5173574598&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
> My Parhelia setup:
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/talon_90th/album?.dir=7903&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Thanks Paul. Your setup is one I go back and wish ever so often. I'm
glad I asked before buying the one I asked about. I have to get out the
paperwork but I think my computer has a 250W Power Supply and the Matrox
shows a requirement of a 300W Power Supply. I'm getting dizzy going
around and around. Without you all I probably would be lost. :)

Thanks everyone.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Talon

> Thanks Paul. Your setup is one I go back and wish ever so often. I'm
> glad I asked before buying the one I asked about. I have to get out the
> paperwork but I think my computer has a 250W Power Supply and the Matrox
> shows a requirement of a 300W Power Supply. I'm getting dizzy going
> around and around. Without you all I probably would be lost. :)
>
> Thanks everyone.
>
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

I think the power supply is one thing that you will need to upgrade no
matter which way you decide to go. I had problems with my 300W when I
upgraded to the Parhelia. I ended up putting a 400W in (just a little
overkill) but I knew that I was going to add in the PCI card someday as
well. I just wish Matrox would announce their intentions as far as a
Parhelia replacement going forward........I can't bear to think of flying
and driving without my surround views :^(

Paul