Ready to burn machine and go linux unless I can fix this 1..

OK folks last time,,,,,I just cannot take this anymore.

My laptop works fin, my desktop does not log onto mail services

-exhange 5.5 nt 4.0
-outlook both 2000 and 2003 on desktop box, (no they have never had a conlict)
-exchange server administrator,....when I go to look at my mail que gives me
an error that smtp is not loded......
- when I try to logon to exchange from desktop is tells me exchange server
unavailable.
-if I go to a DOS promt and ping yahoo.com by IP I caqn get there.
- my desktop CAN see, move etc.. files and folders from the deskopt and the
server.
- all this started after I did and "exchange optimizer" to let exchange free
up c; disk space and mover the data files. The laptop machine was off during
this event while the desktop was on. I do not know if this mattered.
- I have cleaned up the server as best I can by removinbg ,y old dta files.

here's a few questions based on my fruisrations

1. if I chose tro reoad exchange fcrom scratch.....do I let it autpo place
thje insfo stores for email etc OR can I tell it where to put things so I can
not have disk space issues./

2. Will reloadijng exchange 5.5 really fix this smtp issue?. Can I jusr
reload neworking somehow...

3. since my laptop still works fiune, and I delete the desktop user, from
the server and the desktop, then re-create them? by doing this will I lode
any data?

Folks. you are great to read your advice. I would really appreciate somem
guidance here

thanks
ALan

You will have much better luck in one of the public
exchange NGs.

"alan fluhrer" <alanfluhrer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK folks last time,,,,,I just cannot take this anymore.
>
> My laptop works fin, my desktop does not log onto mail services
>
> -exhange 5.5 nt 4.0
> -outlook both 2000 and 2003 on desktop box, (no they have never had a
conlict)
> -exchange server administrator,....when I go to look at my mail que gives
me
> an error that smtp is not loded......
> - when I try to logon to exchange from desktop is tells me exchange server
> unavailable.
> -if I go to a DOS promt and ping yahoo.com by IP I caqn get there.
> - my desktop CAN see, move etc.. files and folders from the deskopt and
the
> server.
> - all this started after I did and "exchange optimizer" to let exchange
free
> up c; disk space and mover the data files. The laptop machine was off
during
> this event while the desktop was on. I do not know if this mattered.
> - I have cleaned up the server as best I can by removinbg ,y old dta
files.

> here's a few questions based on my fruisrations
>

> 1. if I chose tro reoad exchange fcrom scratch.....do I let it autpo place
> thje insfo stores for email etc OR can I tell it where to put things so I
can
> not have disk space issues./
>
> 2. Will reloadijng exchange 5.5 really fix this smtp issue?. Can I jusr
> reload neworking somehow...
>
> 3. since my laptop still works fiune, and I delete the desktop user, from
> the server and the desktop, then re-create them? by doing this will I lode
> any data?
>

> Folks. you are great to read your advice. I would really appreciate somem
> guidance here
>
> thanks
> ALan

thanks. I will re write the message to be as complete as possible tghen post

thnaks