Sign in with
Your question

N/V RAM test failed

Last response: in Motherboards
December 15, 2005 10:58:17 AM

I get this message on my SOYO SY-P4I865PE during POST.

I can't find anything in the documentation on this message, and Google turns up nothing.

I'm figuring I should run a RAM test, I've got 2 512MB sticks of TwinMOS PC3200.

Any other ideas? Could it be the mobo?

Thanks in advance.

More about : ram test failed

December 15, 2005 3:03:09 PM

Run memtest86 on both sticks and then on each individual stick of RAM.
December 15, 2005 3:21:54 PM

OK, will do.
Related resources
December 15, 2005 5:47:49 PM

I would think that that N/V RAM test failed means Non Volatile RAM so I think flash memory on your board is having issues.

Checking your main memory won't make you any wiser.

--Jani
December 15, 2005 8:17:14 PM

NVRAM has nothing to do w/ system RAM. Like the dude above me said, running memtest is a waste of time.

So what the hell is NVRAM anyways?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVRAM

In a computer, it's mainly used in the commission of storing BIOS settings. If it goes bad, the worst that can happen is your BIOS settings won't be saved when you shut off the computer. If you don't ever shut off ur computer, then don't worry about it.

-mpjesse
December 16, 2005 9:47:31 AM

Quote:
NVRAM has nothing to do w/ system RAM. Like the dude above me said, running memtest is a waste of time.

So what the hell is NVRAM anyways?

In a computer, it's mainly used in the commission of storing BIOS settings. If it goes bad, the worst that can happen is your BIOS settings won't be saved when you shut off the computer. If you don't ever shut off ur computer, then don't worry about it.

-mpjesse

OK - cool. This is why I posted here, I knew someone would know how to pinpoint it.

Question:

Is the N/V ram contained inside the BIOS chip or is it elsewhere?

Also, Is it replaceable? I would assume it depends on the mobo?

Thanks again.
December 19, 2005 2:38:38 PM

:oops: 
December 19, 2005 7:24:38 PM

Take out one stick and update the BIOS to the latest version.

Quote:

I can't find anything in the documentation on this message, and Google turns up nothing.

I'm figuring I should run a RAM test, I've got 2 512MB sticks of TwinMOS PC3200.

Thanks in advance.
December 19, 2005 7:49:01 PM

Even though it's been narrowed down to Flash RAM instead of System RAM?

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
December 19, 2005 7:58:09 PM

Motherboards do not have flash RAM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
December 19, 2005 9:35:13 PM

Not sure I can trust you anymore dude - it's obvious you haven't even read the entire thread. Check up a few posts with this link:

Sorry.

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
December 19, 2005 10:13:48 PM

Every motherboard has flash RAM. Where do you think your BIOS settings are stored? And why do you think motherboard's have batteries? Did you think that the BIOS flashes itself everytime you change and save a setting? LOL.

-mpjesse
December 19, 2005 10:15:11 PM

NVRAM chips are sometimes inside the BIOS chip, but are usually soldered onto the board somewhere. If you look hard at the board you might see a small chip that says "flash RAM, intel, AMD" or something similar. For a while almost all mobos used intel NVRAM chips. Anywho, they are not replaceable.

Here's another, more accurate definition of NVRAM"
Quote:
Abbreviation of Non-Volatile Random Access Memory, a type of memory that retains its contents when power is turned off. One type of NVRAM is SRAM that is made non-volatile by connecting it to a constant power source such as a battery. Another type of NVRAM uses EEPROM chips to save its contents when power is turned off. In this case, NVRAM is composed of a combination of SRAM and EEPROM chips. A bad flas will cause this problem.

There is a possibility that your mobo battery is dieing or dead. You can buy a replacement battery at circuit city, walgreens, wal-mart, (anywhere really) and see if that fixes things. Just take the battery w/ you so you get the right one. There's a number on one of the sides of the battery... make sure it matches the one you buy.

-mpjesse
December 20, 2005 12:37:47 AM

Yeah, I remember replacing a few of those - I think they're a CR2010 or some such, right?

Quote:
NVRAM chips are sometimes inside the BIOS chip, but are usually soldered onto the board somewhere. If you look hard at the board you might see a small chip that says "flash RAM, intel, AMD" or something similar. For a while almost all mobos used intel NVRAM chips. Anywho, they are not replaceable.

Here's another, more accurate definition of NVRAM"
Abbreviation of Non-Volatile Random Access Memory, a type of memory that retains its contents when power is turned off. One type of NVRAM is SRAM that is made non-volatile by connecting it to a constant power source such as a battery. Another type of NVRAM uses EEPROM chips to save its contents when power is turned off. In this case, NVRAM is composed of a combination of SRAM and EEPROM chips. A bad flas will cause this problem.

There is a possibility that your mobo battery is dieing or dead. You can buy a replacement battery at circuit city, walgreens, wal-mart, (anywhere really) and see if that fixes things. Just take the battery w/ you so you get the right one. There's a number on one of the sides of the battery... make sure it matches the one you buy.

-mpjesse
December 20, 2005 1:07:42 AM

Yep, that sounds right. :wink:
December 20, 2005 10:46:57 AM

Quote:
Yep, that sounds right. :wink:

Actually it's a CR2025

December 20, 2005 3:56:16 PM

was in a rush and was thinking of something else.

Quote:
Not sure I can trust you anymore dude - it's obvious you haven't even read the entire thread. Check up a few posts with this link:

Sorry.

Thanks in advance.
December 22, 2005 7:00:59 PM

duhhh....

I had the error message wrong. I was posting from memory.

The real error message is:

RAM R/W Test failed.

Any more ideas?
December 22, 2005 7:15:15 PM

memtest86, bad RAM suspected.
!