Rdisk will not write to floppy???

Diane

I want to create an updated emergency repair desk for an NT4.0 server. I ran
rdisk and updated the repair folder, however, when I select "create disk" I
get a message saying the floppy is possibly corrupted, etc. I have tried
several floppy disks and formatted them on the system (both quick and long
format), but no luck. I can use explorer and copy files to the floppies, so
the drive and the diskettes appear to be OK. I figure I'm missing something
here..is there a special format for the repair disk or ???

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Post the exact text of any error messages. Possibly an ls120 drive?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Diane" wrote:
|I want to create an updated emergency repair desk for an NT4.0 server. I
ran
| rdisk and updated the repair folder, however, when I select "create disk"
| get a message saying the floppy is possibly corrupted, etc. I have tried
| several floppy disks and formatted them on the system (both quick and long
| format), but no luck. I can use explorer and copy files to the floppies,
so
| the drive and the diskettes appear to be OK. I figure I'm missing
something
| here..is there a special format for the repair disk or ???
|
| Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Diane

Dave,
I will be on-site tomorrow and will check the drive, but I don't think it's
an ls120. The drive originally came with the Dell server about 5 years ago,
so unless they were standard then, it's just a "normal" floppy drive.
Previous emergency disks were created for this server a while ago, but
nothing recent. I assume, but don't know for sure, that they were created
with the same process. I'll capture the exact message and check the drive.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Diane

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Post the exact text of any error messages. Possibly an ls120 drive?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Diane" wrote:
> |I want to create an updated emergency repair desk for an NT4.0 server. I
> ran
> | rdisk and updated the repair folder, however, when I select "create disk"
> | get a message saying the floppy is possibly corrupted, etc. I have tried
> | several floppy disks and formatted them on the system (both quick and long
> | format), but no luck. I can use explorer and copy files to the floppies,
> so
> | the drive and the diskettes appear to be OK. I figure I'm missing
> something
> | here..is there a special format for the repair disk or ???
> |
> | Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

The usual error/problem occurs when the software hive grows such that it
will no longer fit on a 1.44 floppy even in a compressed state. In this case
one would need to manually backup the %systemroot%\repair directory to some
other media after running rdisk.

--

"Diane" wrote:
| Dave,
| I will be on-site tomorrow and will check the drive, but I don't think
it's
| an ls120. The drive originally came with the Dell server about 5 years
ago,
| so unless they were standard then, it's just a "normal" floppy drive.
| Previous emergency disks were created for this server a while ago, but
| nothing recent. I assume, but don't know for sure, that they were created
| with the same process. I'll capture the exact message and check the drive.
|
| Thanks for your interest and help.
|
| Diane

Diane

Dave,

Well, I'm embarrassed. You're absolutely right, the size of the repair
folder exceeds the capacity of the floppy. Clearly overlooked the obvious
given the obscurity of the message 'an unknown error has occurred reading
from or writing to the disk. The disk is possibly unusable". I backed up to
CD. If the ERD on CD is needed, do you know if NT normally accepts the CD
as an input device versus the floppy drive or, are modifications to the ERD
repair process necessary to get it to read from the CD?

Thanks very much,

Diane

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> The usual error/problem occurs when the software hive grows such that it
> will no longer fit on a 1.44 floppy even in a compressed state. In this case
> one would need to manually backup the %systemroot%\repair directory to some
> other media after running rdisk.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Diane" wrote:
> | Dave,
> | I will be on-site tomorrow and will check the drive, but I don't think
> it's
> | an ls120. The drive originally came with the Dell server about 5 years
> ago,
> | so unless they were standard then, it's just a "normal" floppy drive.
> | Previous emergency disks were created for this server a while ago, but
> | nothing recent. I assume, but don't know for sure, that they were created
> | with the same process. I'll capture the exact message and check the drive.
> |
> | Thanks for your interest and help.
> |
> | Diane

If you start the repair process and don't have an ERD floppy then repair
will use the files found in the %systemroot%\repair directory. So in a pinch
you could possibly copy the backups back into the repair folder.