on line security catch 22

As I mentioned in a different question I will soon be bringing a new XPpro
machine online. This will require downloading many programs from online
sites as my current ones are Win98 variety.
Often sites require or suggest turning off virus protection while doing
their download. A MS MVP has told me that a small problem in IE6,
downloaded into win 98, was caused by my NOT turning virus protection off.
My question is How does one safely download a program file "sometimes long"
with virus program secured.
Mel S. AKA shakey
3 answers Last reply
More about line security catch

    Hi,

    1. You do not need to disable antivirus software while downloading. In fact,
    you shouldn't. If the file is infected, this is the time to find out.

    2. Sometimes, and I mean sometimes, you need to disable antivirus software
    while installating after downloading.

    3. Do not EVER install ("run from current location") directly from a site.
    You are simply asking for trouble.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > As I mentioned in a different question I will soon be bringing a new XPpro
    > machine online. This will require downloading many programs from online
    > sites as my current ones are Win98 variety.
    > Often sites require or suggest turning off virus protection while doing
    > their download. A MS MVP has told me that a small problem in IE6,
    > downloaded into win 98, was caused by my NOT turning virus protection off.
    > My question is How does one safely download a program file "sometimes
    > long"
    > with virus program secured.
    > Mel S. AKA shakey

    Thanks for your info zippy and Rick.
    That suggested method is just what I normally do but the IE6 MVP still
    thought the error was due to downloading with virus protect enabled, Oh well
    perhaps I communicated with him.
    Mel S.
    "Shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > As I mentioned in a different question I will soon be bringing a new XPpro
    > machine online. This will require downloading many programs from online
    > sites as my current ones are Win98 variety.
    > Often sites require or suggest turning off virus protection while doing
    > their download. A MS MVP has told me that a small problem in IE6,
    > downloaded into win 98, was caused by my NOT turning virus protection off.
    > My question is How does one safely download a program file "sometimes
    long"
    > with virus program secured.
    > Mel S. AKA shakey

    You don't necessarly need to turn off while downloading. You need to turn
    off Anti-Virus (after checking that the download is not infected) before
    installing. When downloading with IE, you have a choice to save or run . I
    always choice to save it so I can install myself. If you have any
    Accelerator like Earthlink Accelerator to make your dial up quicker, I have
    found that you need to disable this before downloading.
    "Shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > As I mentioned in a different question I will soon be bringing a new XPpro
    > machine online. This will require downloading many programs from online
    > sites as my current ones are Win98 variety.
    > Often sites require or suggest turning off virus protection while doing
    > their download. A MS MVP has told me that a small problem in IE6,
    > downloaded into win 98, was caused by my NOT turning virus protection off.
    > My question is How does one safely download a program file "sometimes
    long"
    > with virus program secured.
    > Mel S. AKA shakey

Download Virus Security Windows XP