Changing WINS in NT4 causes reboot?

I have an NT4 server with two network cards in it (one token ring and the
other ethernet). Clients on ethernet have been having problems connecting to
the server while clients on token ring do not. I looked at the settings on
the server and noticed that the ethernet connection doesn't have WINS
configured, but the token ring does. I would like to configure the WINS on
the ethernet adapter, but do not remember if this is going to require a
reboot. Does anyone know if adding WINS servers will force me to reboot?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Paul

This will never work consistently. Netbios can only bind to one nic at a
time so you'll always have some problems on one NIC subnet. You cannot have
a multihomed WINS server and expect it to work because it is flaky and that
is the nature of the beast. The only consistent way is to have 1 WINS server
per subnet and then have them replicate. Have a look at the following

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181774

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;247194

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191611

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198644

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185786

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Paul Daly (MCP)" <PaulDalyMCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an NT4 server with two network cards in it (one token ring and the
> other ethernet). Clients on ethernet have been having problems connecting
> the server while clients on token ring do not. I looked at the settings
> on
> the server and noticed that the ethernet connection doesn't have WINS
> configured, but the token ring does. I would like to configure the WINS
> on
> the ethernet adapter, but do not remember if this is going to require a
> reboot. Does anyone know if adding WINS servers will force me to reboot?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Paul

First off...
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Secondly,
I think I should backtrack...

I am migrating from an NT4 domain (on Token Ring) to a 2k3 domain (on
Ethernet). I would like to tell the old domain to trust the new domain so
that as users & computers are migrated over to the new domain, they can still
access resources on the old domain. After all the users & computers are on
the new domain, I’ll migrate the data to the new domain and use login scripts
to redirect the clients’ shares to their new locations.

When I try to configure one-way trust relationship between the NT4 domain
and the 2k3 domain, I am able to contact the 2k3 domain and configure the
trust from the NT4 side, but I can not contact the NT4 domain to configure
the trust from the 2k3 side. I think this is a conflict with Token
Ring/Ethernet. (There is a Cisco gateway that connects the two.) I would
like to move the NT4 domain controller to Ethernet and try again, but am
worried about the implications of doing this. (Users still need to connect
to the NT4 domain untill the data migration is completed). If the clients
are accessing the server by name and not by IP, do you think that this will
work? Or do you think that it could be something other than the Token
Ring/Ethernet issue?

Thanks again,

- Paul