Pleae Help!! Need to get a board - build system for X-Mas!!

APM

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Okay, I have a Socket 775 P4 3.2 HT cpu...got it for free... I would like to build my daughter a system around it... here's the thing... I don't know about all these technologies... I've built a number of systems...but just simple ones - I just don't want to buy the wrong board. This doesn't have to be a GAMING system... she'll play few games - SIMs, that's about it... nothing really intense... she's 13, uses the internet, email, basic computing...digital pictures, music... nothing really extreme... and I want to build this on a budget... looking for the best bang for the buck - for these needs - will onboard video be okay, should I be getting PCI-e X16? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

thanks

anthony

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
The Asus P5RD1-VM sounds like the board for you. It has pretty good onboard graphics (comparitively since no onboard graphics are really that great). If she's not playing any sophisticated games, they might suffice. If not, the board has a PCIe x16 slot for an add in card, which I would go for at this point in lieu of AGP. It's fairly reasonable as far as the price, and has the Asus 3 year warranty. That's my two cents; hope it helps.
:)