poor video card text - please help

robjamell

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi Guys

I am told this is the place with all of the experts. Please give this a shot.

I have a Compaq desktop that came with onboard video. In order to use two monitors and free up some RAM, I purchased a visiontek ATI with RGB & DVI output. I AM NOT A GAMER. I put the card in and it seemed fine with my KDS 17" monitor.

I then went out and bought a 19" Sony and a 19" Samsung on sale and planned on seeing which I liked and taking back the other to get a second of my favorite. Both the Sony and the Samsung looked horrible on text. When I would look at words, a couple of letters in each word would be way faded and the rounded part of letters would be faded. The only other time I saw text this bad was on my father's Sony Vaio laptop. I plugged a Samsung 17" in instead that I had laying around and it looked okay just like my KDS 17"

At that point, I assumed that 19" monitors just didn't have the text quality I needed. I then was at Compusa and noticed that they had two of the exact same 19" Sony monitors I had, hooked up. One looked good and the other looked horrible just like I was experiencing at home. I had the saleman swap the two so I could see if it was the monitor or the machine. When I swapped, the good monitor now looked bad and the bad looked good. Obviously it had something to do with the machine. They were both Sony Desktops. I asked the salesman the difference. He said the one with the poor text has ATI graphics and the one with the good text had Nvidia graphics. At that point I thought BINGO, ATI's text is poor.

I went home and pulled my ATI card out and went back to the internal SIS graphics built on the motherboard. I plugged the 19" back in and it was still awful. I then went over a friends house who had a machine with Nvidia and a machine with ATI. I plugged the 19" in and it looked good on Nvidia and awful on the ATI. I then went and looked at my dad's awful Sony Vaio to see what it used and it used ATI also.

My conclusion is that Nvidia has good text and ATI & SIS have very poor text. Can this be right? I am not a gamer and just want very sharp text on a big monitor, but all the reviews I read are regarding graphic quality.

Please help - thanks in advance!

Rob

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
It sounds like most likely you are not using the monitor at it's "native resolution" the native resolution is pretty much the only one you want to use with those monitors, you can look it up, or ask the sales person what it is

(disregard this if they are not flat panel lcd monitors)

robjamell

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Thanks and that is a good thought.

I was using it a 1280x1024 which seems to be the native resolution for both 19" displays.

Any other thought?

Thanks