Gigabyte K8N Pro SLI help!!!!

gamer178

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
Hello all,

I hope someone can help me here. I have a Gigabyte K8n Pro SLI with 2x512 Corsair twinx installed (1gb) When i use CPU-Z it reports my memory timings at 3-3-3-8 at 400MHz. But these sticks are CAS 2. I looked everywhere and I do not see a place where I can change the SPD settings on the ram.

The MB comes with an easy tune app. There you can increase the voltage of the RAM (didn't see any options in the bios) I increased it from 2.6 to 2.80 and the timings didn't change a bit. There has to be a way to get better timings out of my ram.

Thank you.....

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I just answered a similar question in the Overclocking General Discussion forum, Cut&Paste 4tW !

At BIOS main screen hit Ctrl-F1 and a new section named - "Advanced Chipset Setup" will appear.

In this section you can see setting for HyperTransport (1x-5x), memory timings, memory ratio and AGP aperture size.

To prevent the memory from being a bottleneck when overclocking (especially with cheap memory) dropping the memory down to 166MHz while pumping the HTT upward (don't forget to drop down to 4x over 200MHz and down to 3x over 250MHz) will keep the memory confortably within specs.

Alternatively, you can set higher timings on the memory (2.5-3-3-10 2T is slower so more stable than 2-2-2-10 1T is) in order to reach a higher CPU clock.

If you don't have a clue, use Google or search the forums and read about memory timing and overclocking, not knowing what you are doing won't necessarly damage your 'rig but you will waste a lot of your time trying to figure those things by yourself.

gamer178

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
Thanks for responding. I did try a google search, but the results I got were not useful because I could not change the settings on account I didn't know where to find it in the BIOS.

You had the most info so far in all of my searches, so i thank you.

I will play around and see what happens.

gamer178

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
There's almost certainly a place in the BIOS to manually specify timings. Look harder.

-mpjesse

Yes, I mentioned that the poster above provided the answer. You have to hit CTRL F1 when in the BIOS (a fact not mentioned in the manual. ) It's a hidden option and I will try it when I get home.

Thanks.