Hard Disk problem

oz3050

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
I have an old IBM Deskstar 40GB that i had stored for a long time and i just now reformatted about a week ago and got it working. Yesterday while using my computer it froze and i had to restart. When i boot up there's 2 clicks and a beep coming from the HD and starts over. The HD doesn't show up in the BIOS and still does the clicks and beep with just power applied and no IDE. Any ideas? Is my hard drive dead?

oz3050

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
It's out of warranty for sure. Manufactured in 2001. Anything i can do to possibly get it working? Im not afraid to take it apart or anything since it's already dead and no warranty. Is there anything more specific you can tell me other than just dead?

Ok i've been reading and i guess opening or anything would be useless. About this freezing thing i've been reading about. Should i run the drive directly after taking it out of the freezer or should i let it warm up a bit?

mpjesse

Splendid
Trust me, it's dead. And if you take it apart, you won't see anything wrong with it. The only time you'll physically see a problem w/ a hard drive is when the platters crash into each other and shatter.

If you had critical data on it, you can send it into a recovery place and they'll pull all the data off for the low price of $400.

:lol:

-mpjesse

TheDesertFox

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Have you tried taking it out and banging it lightly on the table? I had the same thing happen to an old 1 gig drive, and it surprisingly worked pretty well.

oz3050

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Yeah i tried the freezing thing and then banging it on the ground. Neither worked or made any progress. I took my losses and chucked it. Nothing all that critical on it.