First time builder... AHHH HELP!

rd5432123

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hey ya'll... i'm a fisr time builder but i happen to be a little computer savvy. Here my comp break down....

- AMD X2 4400+ Dual Core processor

- Enermax 535 Watt ATX, SATA ready power supply

- Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory(2x512MB)

- Cooler Master Vortex TX / Socket A/754/939/775/370 / Full Copper / CPU Cooling Fan

- XFX GeForce 6800 GT / 256MB DDR3 / PCI Express / SLI / Dual DVI / TV Out / Video Card

- Aspire X-Cruiser Thermally Advantaged Case - Black Case (not sure if i should do a Full tower or a Mid... i want a full, but not for the price!)

- Asus A8N SLI Premium NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID

- Misc. Stuff

Thats the breakdown. Cost is at $1300 (including $150 for Misc stuff). I've read A LOT of reviews and opinions and it seems like this is a great build. Is there anything overkill or that i should change due to compatability?!? I've already got the hard drives, CD/DVD rom, etc....

So what ya'll think? PLEASE ADVISE!!!

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I'll try to assist in your biuld.

1. Your choice of duel core is I believe the best bang for buck as far as duel cores go from the last review I read.

2. Would help if you posted prices your going to pay on power supply ( and other components) I like my system to be as silent as possible and have taken a liking to the modular power supplies which improve air flow since you only use the cables you need taking clutter out of case

3. Go with 2 Gigs of Cas 2 ram can find for a little over $200 as long as your not set on any particular brand. This will hold you over till you biuld your next system based on DDR2 and will not leaving you wanting for more later. Read article titled how much ram is enough on toms hardware.

4. Heatsink looks good to me but I went with a Zalman solution

5. Go with the XFX 7800 GT card. Comes factory overclocked and with a good software bundle (farcry, x2, and a few others) also better for sli settup later and two 6800 gts only equal one 7800 gt.

6. this will come to more than 1300 but has more longevity to make up for it on video power etc..

7. What are you going to use the computer for? games, multimedia? both?

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I'll try to assist in your biuld.

1. Your choice of duel core is I believe the best bang for buck as far as duel cores go from the last review I read.

2. Would help if you posted prices your going to pay on power supply ( and other components) I like my system to be as silent as possible and have taken a liking to the modular power supplies which improve air flow since you only use the cables you need taking clutter out of case

3. Go with 2 Gigs of Cas 2 ram can find for a little over $200 as long as your not set on any particular brand. This will hold you over till you biuld your next system based on DDR2 and will not leaving you wanting for more later. Read article titled how much ram is enough on toms hardware.

4. Heatsink looks good to me but I went with a Zalman solution

5. Go with the XFX 7800 GT card. Comes factory overclocked and with a good software bundle (farcry, x2, and a few others) also better for sli settup later and two 6800 gts only equal one 7800 gt.

6. this will come to more than 1300 but has more longevity to make up for it on video power etc..

7. What are you going to use the computer for? games, multimedia? both?

I agree with that.
Only I would get a SI-120 HS instead of a Zalman. Zalman has become a name and the SI-120 will offer better cooling.

graf

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I don't think dual core will help you in gaming. Maybe I am wrong......but....as far as I know....the second core will not be in use during the game. Most if not ALL of the game are single treaded....so it seems that dual core is a waste of money.

The dual core will help if are running other programs at the same time.....spend more money on good/lots of memory instead.

Maybe someone will prove me wrong......... :?:

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I don't think dual core will help you in gaming. Maybe I am wrong......but....as far as I know....the second core will not be in use during the game. Most if not ALL of the game are single treaded....so it seems that dual core is a waste of money.

The dual core will help if are running other programs at the same time.....spend more money on good/lots of memory instead.

Maybe someone will prove me wrong......... :?:

No game CURRENTLY uses dual core stuff, but in the furture (like Oblivion) will use both cores for gaming, not to mention Unreal 2007 and other future games. It's just a nice thing to have. Sure it doesn't get used in games but all that other backround stuff like AIM or something will get put on the second core, freeing up CPU0 to do your gaming.
Just go with dual core, i did, and i didn't regret it. Thee 4400+ is a good choice (or the Opty 165/170 if you can find them) since it has 1mb L2 cache and it will OC to 2.6 and beyond if you get a good core.

The best dual cores are the Opterons. They OC like MAD!!!! on stock voltages most of the time. And with a little voltage help, you could hit 3ghz easy on an Opteron (if you get a good core like the 530 stepping, but you can never find 530's any more, all there is are 540's, 543/544 i know OC well too, but you really don't need to know this).

JUST GET DUAL CORE, FOR THE FUTURE!!!!!!111111

rd5432123

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I agree that i may not need the dual core for gaming.... For gaming tends to be single threaded applications..... But though i will be using the comp to do a lot of gaming, i am a big multi-tasker. I often will run some sort of anti-virus, burn some cds, play music, surf the web, etc all at the same time.... so thats why i chose the dual core. I was originally goin with for FX processors, but i believe that the X2 4400+ dual core is the deal.

I REALLY appreciate EVERYONE who replied to my original thread. This is my first time and i didn't really think i'd have anyone even repsond to my "help" inquiry. Let alone offer me suggestions and stuff. Thanks alot guys!

In reply to wha a few of you have said...
About the "Zalman" .... tell me more. Any links i could take a look at?
Also, here are the prices:

- AMD x2 4400+ dual core: $529.99

- Enermax 535 Watt ATX, SLI and SATA ready power supply: $89.99

- Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR (2x512): $124.99

- Cooler Master Vortex TX Socket 939 CPU cooler: $39.99

- XFX GeForce 6800 GT / 256MB DDR3 graphics card: $294.99

- Aspire X-Cruiser Thermally Advantaged Case: $69.99

- Asus A8N SLI Premium NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard: $182.99

- Misc Stuff: (i'm assuming i'll needs cords, some fans, etc) $100-150

So thats the costs.... almost every single thing is price out via TigerDirect. I've heard some horror stories and i've heard some very good comments about TigerDirect....

Also.... i'm having a hard time choosing the graphics card... I heard XFX makes a great quality card! But at the same time....

eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT / 256MB GDDR3 for $289.99 or

XFX GeForce 7800 GT Overclocked / 256MB DDR3 for $284.99 (has yet to be reviewed at TigerDirect).

My question is... how could that 6800 be ANY where near the price of these 7800 gt's??? Is the the card maker (ie eVGA, XFX, PNY, etc?)? And if so.... WHO MAKES A GOOD CARD!!!!

I'm not looking at EXTREME gaming..... i just want something nice!!! That will todays games with out struglling. Like battlefield 2..... Civilization VI etc..... But i want a motherboard and all other components upgradable enough to where 6 months down the raod i'm not saying "damn, i should have done this" or "i wish i had got that"..... EXPANDABILITY!!!! Without breaking the bank now! I'm in the marine corps and i am going to iraq in 6 months.... My home desktop is a piece of crap and no longer is worth fixing..... i plan on building this new one.... AND I KNOW that it will be somewhat ooutdated when i get back... but i am looking to something where i can go ahead and put in the new graphics card and it will run with the rest..... (or atleast sorta keep up!)

Anyways.... ok, i'm done talking now! ANYONE who red through ALL of this.... damn, thanks and you've got some patience!

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Alright, looks like a nice build, but lets do some tweaking.

-AMD Opteron 165 $315
Get'm while there hot (or before there sold out)

-Asus mobo $163

-Seasonic S-12 500w $129 (spend a little more for quality)

-evga 7800GT $299

-Corsair ValueSelect 2GB (2x1GB) $184 (trust me, you multitask, you want 2gigs)

-Antec P-180 Case $116 (the case is personal preference, I just choose this one)

-SI-120 HS for Opty $50 (get a 120mm fan with it too, i'm too lazy to post a link or somthing)

-Misc Stuff (like a sound card, keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, ya know that kind of thing).

If you have any questoins feel free to ask, if you don't like it just say so, you don't have to flame me about it.

EDIT: didn't even add it up, it's like ~$1200ish, just to let you know.

EDIT (again): Just buy from newegg, or the site that I choose, I just build a computer, so I know those are cheap prices.

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I'm using the xfx 7800 gt right now, no problems and with good software bundle if you like the games and don't have one. Otherwise its on par with all the other 7800gts with a slight overclock. I did not recommend Zalman I'm just saying I use it on my setup on my sig and have no problems cost about the same as your heatsink selection and its pretty quiet. I agree you need two gigs of ram if you multitask try to get at least cas 2.5 it will cost you over $230 for cas 2. Save some money onthe motherboard unless you want to go sli later and get the dfi infinity socket 939 for around $85. apply money saved to these other options. this setup should keep you competive in gameing. BF2 will play at 1024x768 with all settings on high and 1280x1024 with high medium mix from my experience. DFI will give you good overclocking options for later as well. I agree with power supply but recommend the modular ones that only use the cables you want and at least 480 watts. If you spend more than $75 on your case your paying to much, just make sure it has good and quiet ventilation, if your going with aluminum case it will go over $100 for a good one.