Multiple XP Problems, forensic teams can't determine C.O.D.

Product Version: Windows XP with SP2
Problem: Multiple, Likely to be caused by a corrupt version of Windows.
Problems include: Can't use CD burner, can't install using 16-Bit subsytem,
Can't right click on media files (.wav and .mp3) without Explorer crashing.
"Device failure" when using a fullscreen application. Printer gone nuts
(can't print without restarting, then only prints the first page)

THe rest of the story: Ok, so this all happened about two or so months ago,
when my original hard drive failed. Dell (my PC manufacturer) replaced the
hard drive and reinstalled Win XP onto the new one...and it's all downhill
from here.

About a week after, I tried to burn a CD using Roxio Easy CD Creator. As I
pressed record, the program reported that there were no available
CD-Recorders. I figured it was a problem with Roxio and downloaded a free
trial of Nero. Same problem.

I called a Dell technician who told me the problem was a corrupted copy of
Windows...Joy. He said I would have to back up my files and repair windows by
reinstalling it. I wasn't about to do that so I proceeded to use my computer
in it's current state.

Week after week, problems started showing up. I assumed they were all
related, because I tried to fix each individual problem, to no avail. Since
my copy of Windows came preinstalled, I'm not entitled to two free support
requests. And as I'm not about to pay 35 dollars for advice that may not even
help, (yet) does anyone have ANY idea what may be going on and how I can fix
it?

It's not worth the trouble. Backup your data and reinstall the operating
system.

To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
install.

Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
connecting to any network.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bret Mattingly" wrote:
| Product Version: Windows XP with SP2
| Problem: Multiple, Likely to be caused by a corrupt version of Windows.
| Problems include: Can't use CD burner, can't install using 16-Bit
subsytem,
| Can't right click on media files (.wav and .mp3) without Explorer
crashing.
| "Device failure" when using a fullscreen application. Printer gone nuts
| (can't print without restarting, then only prints the first page)
|
| THe rest of the story: Ok, so this all happened about two or so months
ago,
| when my original hard drive failed. Dell (my PC manufacturer) replaced the
| hard drive and reinstalled Win XP onto the new one...and it's all downhill
| from here.
|
| About a week after, I tried to burn a CD using Roxio Easy CD Creator. As I
| pressed record, the program reported that there were no available
| CD-Recorders. I figured it was a problem with Roxio and downloaded a free
| trial of Nero. Same problem.
|
| I called a Dell technician who told me the problem was a corrupted copy of
| Windows...Joy. He said I would have to back up my files and repair windows
by
| reinstalling it. I wasn't about to do that so I proceeded to use my
computer
| in it's current state.
|
| Week after week, problems started showing up. I assumed they were all
| related, because I tried to fix each individual problem, to no avail.
Since
| my copy of Windows came preinstalled, I'm not entitled to two free support
| requests. And as I'm not about to pay 35 dollars for advice that may not
even
| help, (yet) does anyone have ANY idea what may be going on and how I can
fix
| it?

Ok, but I don't have multiple had drives (or the IDE cables to support them.)
I ca't burn CDs, so how do I back up my data?

Maybe USB sticks they're pretty cheap these days.