ALL MY DRIVES DONT READ PROPERLY

jasperb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
hello.
i have had this problem for a few weeks now, its .that when i put in a disc, it is not read. i go to my computer and the name of the previous disc is there. if i then restart. the new disc i put in is there. this is very anoying and time consuming. are there any programs that can cause this? because i installed a few dvd to avi's and they seemed to have problems and this problem occured
shortly after that.
i have tried solutions mesh gave me, which where to reinstall IDE channels. this did not work. i have two drives one being a dvd 16x rom and a 52x rw.
also i upgraded to a A64 3000+, 1gb of GEIL ram and a 6600gt about 2 months ago.
thank you for any help or support WHICH MESH WONT GIVE ME AFTER 3 PHONE CALLS!!!

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Try updating the drives firmware. BTW, which drive is it, maby I could post some links for that if I knew the drive. Also try changing the ATA cables that go to the drive, even try using the other ATA channel. Also update mobo bios too.

jasperb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
hi,
how do i update the drives firmware? is that just like updating a driver in device manager? and when you asked what drive it was. what model or the letter driver? the models im really not sure, i think just mesh standard ones. the drives are (E) and (F) but then i have virtual (G)(H) and (I) all with the problem. and also how can i update mobo bios? should i visit the mobo site?

shadowspank

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
ok 1st thing we need to know the size of the hard drive and the mother board you have the more specs you prvide the more help we can be. Also if you dont know much about computers I was stear clear of flashing anything dont do it because if you use the wrong flash say good by.

make sure the jumpers are right slave master dont use cable select that does not work very well and just makes problems what I would to is hook up the if you have two roms in there make the dvd master and the other drive slave and use the cable that came with the drive there is two types of ide cables.

jasperb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
ive got a maxtor 80gb and a samsung 40gb both nearly full. im pretty sure my mobo is an abit AN8 i couldnt be 100% sure though. i have an athlon 64 3000+, 1gb of geil ram and a 6600gt 128mb.

BUT!

i come with a different aproach. turns out my drives read the discs. they just dont display them in my computer. the picture of the old disc is there, and there is no autorun.