Sacred 2 game not supported by Windows 7 64 bit, even tried in XP mode

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Well, no 3d games will work in XP mode, as it doesn't support hardware acceleration. Did you try it in Vista compatibility mode? Have you updated your drivers? What hardware are you running on?

We need more info to help you out.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Depend what you mean with XP mode, can be XP xompatibility mode (propertis and chos run in XP etc compatibility and can run all programs same as W7) or in virtual PC XP mode (dont have 3D acceleration support).

G

i have the same problem with sacred 2 and windows 7 64bit. the game would not even start. claiming to miss one ddl or another.

csk8tr

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I have a similar problem under Windows 7 (Ultimate x64). The game will install and run, however when actually playing the game, the sound/video will distort for 2-5 seconds and then go back to normal. This happens a few times before the game stops responding completely. I opened a support ticket with the company that makes the game, which required me to send them a DirectX file. Their response was that the game does not run under Windows 7, which is a total cop-out answer if you ask me. Windows 7 runs the same kernel as Vista does, so anything that runs under Vista will run under Windows 7 (MS didn't want the compatibility issues Vista had on Windows 7).

After doing some research online, it looks like the issue might be related to the PhysX software that Sacred 2 installs. Check out this link and see if this resolved the issue. I haven't personally tried it, but I will once I have more time.

http://www.mokonamodoki.com/sacred-2-on-windows-7

Kewlx25

Distinguished
"Windows 7 runs the same kernel as Vista "

not really. They run on same the basic framework(API), but a very large portion of the Win7 kernel is a complete re-write from Vista.

How drivers interface with the kernel is about the same as Vista, but the kernel itself was re-written for a more abstract layered affect to help with managing the code.

Win7 also had many system DLLs redone to help consolidate the API which will help with reducing bugs and letting them remove un-needed APIs for a reduced install.

With the kernel re-rwite, they can strip Windows down a bunch to reduce the install size and allow for low-profile installs. One of the limits to how small Windows can be for an install is how many DLLs need to be included. They were able to "clean-up" and re-organize many of the DLLs and emulate their normal calls for legacy reasons, but they're doing the re-organizing in phases, which more will come in Win8. This should allow for more stripped down versions of Windows which is good for some server installs and Mobile clients.

woozy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Sorry to hear you guys are having problems with this awesome game .. I didn't have any problems with my install and haven't had any issues playing it either.
I have win7 x64 home premium, and 2 ati radeon 5770's handling the graphics. I think I might have gotten one message saying that it wasn't "supported" during the installation, but thats all.
I'm not sure if Sacred 2 has the same copy-protection on it as another Asceron game, Darkstar One. Darkstar One would not run on my machine, spitting out a message about a missing/out of date dll. The problem was actually with the Tages copy protection software running on any 64-bit Windows. Tages has issued an update for their software, and it fixed my DS One install.
I had Darkstar One and the Tages update installed on my win7 x64 machine before I installed Sacred 2. Maybe installing the updated Tages will sort out the problems you are having with Sacred 2.
You can download the tages protection for x64 from the Tages website. I've listed the link below as a number of search results actually pointed to Ascerons website, but they have dissolved and their website is gone.

I hope it helps .. its the only thing I could think of as to why I didn't have any problems while you guys do.

Direct Link

http://www.tagesprotection.com/5.5/TagesSetup_x64.exe

SquidgyPlaya

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
i have the same problem with sacred 2 and windows 7 64bit. the game would not even start. claiming to miss one ddl or another.
I downloaded sacred 2 and it worked, but very laggy in places and at times it just shut down. Cannot even install patches as it says please install Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, even though it is already installed.

VEE141

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

uh, well, i don't know if this will work, but i did it and mine works so, give this a try.
go to control panel, and look under programs and features. scroll down and you should find it somewhere.
when you find it, click on Repair (via right click). then i window will come up, and it'll take round 14 minutes to finish.

and, thats all i can say in this matter. hope it works.

jerwells

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I have not even been able to finish loading the game as windows 7 tells me I am missing a dll file. If I understand correctly direct x 9 has the file but how do I regress to direct x 9 from direct x 11? This makes no sence to me. I even updated Sacred 2 and still no joy. Anybody have a solution???

IT newbie girl

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Hello, After a week of a messing around with this game, I got it to boot up and run.

First off I have win 7 64 bit/ and an ATI 6850 card

Also have the steam version of the game.

Even though I have an ATI card, I installed the Nvidia Physx software.

I made this shortcut.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sacred 2\system\sacred2.exe" -nocpubinding -skipopenal

I have the Compatiblity set to XP Service pack 1 and I am running as admin.

So far I have played for 3 days without any issues.

Hope this helps.