Building a Home Fileserver

Hello, I am interested in building a cheap, yet functional network fileserver.

This is what I currently have:
Sunbeamtech Transformer Case6 x 3.5" Internal
2 x 3.5" External
5 x 5 1/4" External
Powersupply - 400w Thermaltake
2 x 200GB Maxtor DM9 SATA (Moving from main to server)
CDRom (Old thing lying around)
Highpoint 1640 Raid5 PCI SATA Controller
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server (TY MSDN:AA)

This is what I am thinking about purchasing:
Asus K8N4-E DeluxeSocket 754
8 SATA Ports
1 x 16x PCI-E
3 x 1x PCI-E
3 x PCI
Sempron 2600+
512MB DDR 3200 - Generic
ASUS EN6200TC128/TD/16
4 x 250GB Maxtor DM10 SATA (Raid5)

Please let me know what you think, and what recommendations you may have for me.

My budget is $900 USD, note I am located in Canada.

Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about building home fileserver
  1. For just a file server I would see if I can find a mobo with onboard video. Otherwise it looks fine to me.

Oh, are you going to be using Win2k3 Server or just XP Home/Pro?

Mike.
  2. I will be using Windows 2003 Enterprise Server, thanks to MSDN:AA. It pays to be in University I guess.

Also, I was unable to find a motherboard with onboard video and 8 SATA ports, along with the budget Socket 754. Maybe I did not look hard enough.
  3. dont me to LOL here but your not going to find a mother board with 8 sata ports the most I have seen is 4. Your going to need to get a raid card. check out tomshardware they did a new letter on sata raid cards I like 3wire myself.
  4. Quote:
    dont me to LOL here but your not going to find a mother board with 8 sata ports the most I have seen is 4. Your going to need to get a raid card. check out tomshardware they did a new letter on sata raid cards I like 3wire myself.

The K8N4-E has 8 SATA Ports.

Also, my A8N-SLI Dlx has 4 SATA and 4 SATA2 Ports.

Not to mention I have a 4 Port SATA Raid card on top of the motherboard, as posted in my first post.

Please research before thread-crapping.
  5. If you want RAID-5 then thos 8SATA ports mean nothing because you will have o buy a raid card for PCIe
  6. 4 of the ports have raid5 capabilities. Also, I have a 4 port raid5 controller as well. That would allow me to have 2 x raid5 arrays. also, the additional 4 ports, I believe windwos 2003 server can do raid5 through dynamic disks, if I am not mistaken.
  7. Supermicro X6DHP-TG with 6 sata ports and onboard video.
    several other supermicro boards have 6x sata and an onboard video.

only trouble is they are Xeon boards.
  8. Yeah that seems out of my budget. Nice board nonetheless.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt SATA PCI Systems