Help Please with Videocard for NT

Tim

Hi,

I have a WinNT 4 Box that I need to determine what videocard is installed.
I can't easily take this box out of service, and it's physical location
makes it even less appealing to try and open the case for a visual
determination.

Is there any way I can determine the video card installed inside so that I
can download a better videocard driver? A direct email to me would be
greatly appreciated as well as a response in this room.
tlippard/at/juno/dot/com.

Please help!

Much thanks,

Tim

Tim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a WinNT 4 Box that I need to determine what videocard is installed.
> I can't easily take this box out of service, and it's physical location
> makes it even less appealing to try and open the case for a visual
> determination.
>
> Is there any way I can determine the video card installed inside so that I
> can download a better videocard driver? A direct email to me would be
> greatly appreciated as well as a response in this room.
> tlippard/at/juno/dot/com.
>
> Please help!
>
> Much thanks,
>
> Tim

Download, install, then run, the "Belarc Advisor".

Tim

Rob Stow <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in

> Tim wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a WinNT 4 Box that I need to determine what videocard is
>> installed. I can't easily take this box out of service, and it's
>> physical location makes it even less appealing to try and open the
>> case for a visual determination.
>>
>> Is there any way I can determine the video card installed inside so
>> that I can download a better videocard driver? A direct email to me
>> would be greatly appreciated as well as a response in this room.
>> tlippard/at/juno/dot/com.
>>
>> Please help!
>>
>> Much thanks,
>>
>> Tim
>
> Download, install, then run, the "Belarc Advisor".

Thanks. I did that, and it came up with Video, "None Detected"... :(

Back to the drawing board....

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Tim" <noemails@noemails.com> wrote
> I have a WinNT 4 Box that I need to determine what videocard is installed.
> I can't easily take this box out of service, and it's physical location
> makes it even less appealing to try and open the case for a visual
> determination.

Some video cards put a little bit of information up on the boot-up screen.

I guess it depends on how old the system is, but you could try the shotgun
approach. If you think odds are that it has a standard type of video card,
you could download universal drivers from Matrox, ATI and nvidia and try
those. IIRC they might even have applications you can download to determine
what type of card you have.

Of course playing hit and miss with video drivers would probably have the
machine out of service longer than going through whatever efforts are
required to get the case off.

Kinda makes you appreciate plug and play.

Brian

Tim wrote:

> I have a WinNT 4 Box that I need to determine what videocard is installed.
> I can't easily take this box out of service, and it's physical location
> makes it even less appealing to try and open the case for a visual
> determination.
>
> Is there any way I can determine the video card installed inside [...] ?

If you can boot this box into DOS you may want to try

http://www.diagnoseprogramm.de/indexe.htm

Stephan