Are you for real ? recommendation for LGA775 cooler

masyanya

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Hello.My first postwith big surprize.Tomsguide was like bible to me until I found recommendations to stick with boxed LGA775 cooler.
Are you for real ?
Did you ever heard about Thermalright or Zalman coolers ?

was it a joke ?

Can't wait for any answers !

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
First: Your mistake was using Toms as a bible.
Second: I don't care for current Intel chips but I'm sure Intels stock coolers are fine for stock speeds. If Tom's recommended stock cooler for OC'ing then I dont know what they were thinking.

EDIT: edited for content.

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I wouldn't really trust Toms at all anymore. There RAM guide was a little informative, but also gave MISinformation too about how much ram to use.

To answer your question, Thermalright makes some good HS. Zalman isn't as good anymore, I wouldn't really buy anything from TT unless I had too.

(Unless your OCing, you really don't need a new HSF.)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, at the time they compared coolers there really weren't any truly advanced designs for LGA775 yet, and their own test showed Intel matching or beating similar coolers from top companies.

Now that you can get really BIG coolers for LGA775, you have better options. So the stuff you're reading at Tom's is outdated.

Read my Thermaltake Big Typhoon cooler review at SysOpt.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
i also find toms articles more "opinion" papers.

they've dropped a lot of facts that they used to put into the articles and detail in place for the writers opinions of products they're provided. unfortunately i find THG to be too biased towards certain products. (i don't think they're paid off) but i find them almost "fanboyish" with certain things

it's not bad reading, but it means you must take everything with a grain of salt