Navigation woes

Someone lied to me.

Last night I plotted a simple route. Just one VOR between departure and
destination airports. No wind. How could things possibly go wrong?

After takeoff, I checked my flight log thing on the kneeboard. It said
to fly the 122 radial to the VOR, then to fly something like the 069
radial from it to the destination. It also said that the second leg of
the journey would be 55 km.

So after passing the VOR, I turned to my new heading and decided I'd
admire the scenery and/or annoy ATC for about 45 km, then begin my
descent on final.

When the DME - which, as far as I can tell, was functioning perfectly -
said I was 45 km from the VOR, I realised I couldn't see the airport
ahead of me. I looked around but couldn't locate it, so I finally
decided to check the map (something I try not to do).

I had overflown the destination airport by miles! EH?! How could that
have happened? It had no navigational aid of its own as far as I could
tell, and I hadn't touched a single knob on my radio stack anyway so my
equipment was still tracking that VOR. I checked the kneeboard one more
time and confirmed the 55 km distance between the VOR and the airport.

So....anyone wanna hazard a guess as to why I had to turn 180 and feel
pretty stupid? :)

Huw
43 answers Last reply
More about navigation woes

    "Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> wrote in message

    > I had overflown the destination airport by miles! EH?! How could that
    > have happened? It had no navigational aid of its own as far as I could
    > tell, and I hadn't touched a single knob on my radio stack anyway so my
    > equipment was still tracking that VOR. I checked the kneeboard one more
    > time and confirmed the 55 km distance between the VOR and the airport.
    >
    > So....anyone wanna hazard a guess as to why I had to turn 180 and feel
    > pretty stupid? :)

    Which VOR and airports? (so we can play along at home :-)

    You could try looking on the Map and see if it matches the flight plan.

    Did you watch the Flight Analysis? It might've shed some light on the
    situation, too.

    Also, if you flew FROM the VOR instead of TO it (or vice versa), you might
    have simply flown 45km in the wrong direction!

    Huw,

    Any chance of providing the route.

    Cheers

    Geoff

    Matt B. wrote:
    > "Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>I had overflown the destination airport by miles! EH?! How could that
    >>have happened? It had no navigational aid of its own as far as I could
    >>tell, and I hadn't touched a single knob on my radio stack anyway so my
    >>equipment was still tracking that VOR. I checked the kneeboard one more
    >>time and confirmed the 55 km distance between the VOR and the airport.
    >>
    >>So....anyone wanna hazard a guess as to why I had to turn 180 and feel
    >>pretty stupid? :)
    >

    > Which VOR and airports? (so we can play along at home :-)
    >
    > You could try looking on the Map and see if it matches the flight plan.
    >
    > Did you watch the Flight Analysis? It might've shed some light on the
    > situation, too.
    >
    > Also, if you flew FROM the VOR instead of TO it (or vice versa), you might
    > have simply flown 45km in the wrong direction!

    I mess around with a lot of routes every night, but I'll try and figure
    out which one it was and post the details here.

    Oh, and I definitely didn't fly in the wrong direction. I stayed tuned
    to the same VOR and flew exactly on course - when I checked the map I
    saw that I had flown a perfect course to the airport...just about 15 km
    too far!

    Huw

    "Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Someone lied to me.
    >
    > Last night I plotted a simple route. Just one VOR between departure and
    > destination airports. No wind. How could things possibly go wrong?
    >
    > After takeoff, I checked my flight log thing on the kneeboard. It said to
    > fly the 122 radial to the VOR, then to fly something like the 069 radial
    > from it to the destination. It also said that the second leg of the
    > journey would be 55 km.
    >
    > So after passing the VOR, I turned to my new heading and decided I'd
    > admire the scenery and/or annoy ATC for about 45 km, then begin my descent
    > on final.
    >
    > When the DME - which, as far as I can tell, was functioning perfectly -
    > said I was 45 km from the VOR, I realised I couldn't see the airport ahead
    > of me. I looked around but couldn't locate it, so I finally decided to
    > check the map (something I try not to do).
    >
    > I had overflown the destination airport by miles! EH?! How could that
    > have happened? It had no navigational aid of its own as far as I could
    > tell, and I hadn't touched a single knob on my radio stack anyway so my
    > equipment was still tracking that VOR. I checked the kneeboard one more
    > time and confirmed the 55 km distance between the VOR and the airport.
    >
    > So....anyone wanna hazard a guess as to why I had to turn 180 and feel
    > pretty stupid? :)
    >
    > Huw

    Sounds a bit mixed up. You're talking of miles and kms within the same
    navigaion example. Make sure you're not mixing that up. DME's usually
    (except in russian A/C) indicate distances in Nautical Miles. Flight logs
    (if not issued metric) should also indicate distances in Nautical Miles.
    So first make sure you're always talking of the same measurement system. And
    to facilitate things: use Nautical Miles as your basic measurement! It's
    quite common in aviation.... ;-)
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)

    Oskar Wagner wrote:

    > Sounds a bit mixed up. You're talking of miles and kms within the same
    > navigaion example. Make sure you're not mixing that up. DME's usually
    > (except in russian A/C) indicate distances in Nautical Miles. Flight logs
    > (if not issued metric) should also indicate distances in Nautical Miles.
    > So first make sure you're always talking of the same measurement system. And
    > to facilitate things: use Nautical Miles as your basic measurement! It's
    > quite common in aviation.... ;-)

    Yeah, I really should pay more attention. In this case, however, I was
    flying in a Baron. So wouldn't the DME use the same unit of distance as
    my flight log?

    > Oskar Wagner wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds a bit mixed up. You're talking of miles and kms within the same
    >> navigaion example. Make sure you're not mixing that up. DME's usually
    >> (except in russian A/C) indicate distances in Nautical Miles. Flight logs
    >> (if not issued metric) should also indicate distances in Nautical Miles.
    >> So first make sure you're always talking of the same measurement system.
    >> And to facilitate things: use Nautical Miles as your basic measurement!
    >> It's quite common in aviation.... ;-)
    >
    > Yeah, I really should pay more attention. In this case, however, I was
    > flying in a Baron. So wouldn't the DME use the same unit of distance as
    > my flight log?
    >
    > Huw

    Well Huw, I can't specify that as I never use flight log's.... ;-)
    One thing is for sure anyway: The DME shows the distance ALWAYS in NM
    (Nautical Miles) regardless of any settings in the UNITS section. I'm not
    sure about the flight log. I should test this in a future session. So maybe
    you could indicate your settings and the proper routing so I could create
    the same situation here and compare.
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)
    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

    Erm...OK, I think I've sorted it...

    Turns out that the flight log is in km - clearly marked - and the DME
    (in the Baron I was flying, at least) is in nm - clearly marked. I feel
    foolish. :D

    Huw

    Huw,

    Sometimes it's OK to lie :-)

    Cheers

    Geoff

    GeoffC wrote:
    > Huw,
    >
    > Sometimes it's OK to lie :-)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Geoff

    Haha! I would have, but that was such a spectacularly stupid mistake to
    make that I fully deserve to look like an idiot. ;)

    Huw

    Lawn Dart wrote:

    Hehe, I'll remember that one. Cheers!

    Huw

    "Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Erm...OK, I think I've sorted it...
    >
    > Turns out that the flight log is in km - clearly marked - and the DME (in
    > the Baron I was flying, at least) is in nm - clearly marked. I feel
    > foolish. :D
    >
    > Huw

    Don't worry. You're not the first...... and you won't be the last.... ;-)
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)
    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

    "Huw Roberts"
    > Haha! I would have, but that was such a spectacularly stupid mistake to
    > make that I fully deserve to look like an idiot. ;)

    Perhaps not even close to the funniest blunder this year... one of our
    regulars couldn't figure out why when he set himself up at a specific
    airport his aircraft was in the middle of the ocean and it sank every time.

    (It was a seaplane base :-)

    Dallas

    > Perhaps not even close to the funniest blunder this year... one of our
    > regulars couldn't figure out why when he set himself up at a specific
    > airport his aircraft was in the middle of the ocean and it sank every
    > time.
    >
    > (It was a seaplane base :-)

    :-)
    I guess in real life, a pilot would have figured that out during taxi.

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:23:25 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

    > One thing is for sure anyway: The DME shows the distance ALWAYS in NM
    > (Nautical Miles) regardless of any settings in the UNITS section. I'm not
    > sure about the flight log. I should test this in a future session. So maybe
    > you could indicate your settings and the proper routing so I could create
    > the same situation here and compare.

    He's done it again!
    Three cheers for The Cap'n! :-)

    Seriously though...is that a problem with RL instrumentation too?
    It seems logical that if you fly between countries that use different units
    of measurement, that the instrumention in an aircraft should also be
    capable of handling those units of measurement.

    In the sim I've had problems setting hectopascal in stead of inches.
    And now I find out that the DME only reads NM.
    This can't be the same IRL, can it?

    --

    Marcel
    (Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

    Dallas wrote:
    > "Huw Roberts"
    >
    >>Haha! I would have, but that was such a spectacularly stupid mistake to
    >>make that I fully deserve to look like an idiot. ;)
    >

    > Perhaps not even close to the funniest blunder this year... one of our
    > regulars couldn't figure out why when he set himself up at a specific
    > airport his aircraft was in the middle of the ocean and it sank every time.
    >
    > (It was a seaplane base :-)
    >

    > Dallas

    Heh, well, I'd like to think I would've figured /that/ one out...

    Huw

    "Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:23:25 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:
    >
    >> One thing is for sure anyway: The DME shows the distance ALWAYS in NM
    >> (Nautical Miles) regardless of any settings in the UNITS section. I'm not
    >> sure about the flight log. I should test this in a future session. So
    >> maybe
    >> you could indicate your settings and the proper routing so I could create
    >> the same situation here and compare.
    >
    > He's done it again!
    > Three cheers for The Cap'n! :-)
    >
    > Seriously though...is that a problem with RL instrumentation too?
    > It seems logical that if you fly between countries that use different
    > units
    > of measurement, that the instrumention in an aircraft should also be
    > capable of handling those units of measurement.
    >
    > In the sim I've had problems setting hectopascal in stead of inches.
    > And now I find out that the DME only reads NM.
    > This can't be the same IRL, can it?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Marcel
    > (Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

    Well, kinda yes and no ;-) In RL you will have to cope with different units
    of measurements but only as long as non-aircraft based systems are
    concerned. The DME will always indicate the distance in the unit it is
    designed for as it is basically a airborne based runtime measurement. So in
    a russian A/C (old style, like CS MiG 21) the distance will be indicated in
    kms, even if it's flying in our airspace whereas our DME's will indicate NM
    even in Russia.
    Now for the heavier parts: atmospheric pressure (QNH, GFE) can be indicated
    in in.Hg. (USA, Canada) or Hectopascal (Europe, Asia, dunno about other
    countries e.g. Australia) or even mm Hg. (GUS countries). However in the GUS
    countries also Hectopascal is available on the ATIS and on ATC.
    Visibility is indicated in kms in Europe and GUS countries, in Nautical
    Miles in USA and Canada, RVR is indicated in metres or feet. Cloud ceilings
    can be indicated in metres AGL (GUS states and China) or feet AGL (all the
    rest). Flight Levels are usually in feet, however part of GUS countries and
    China use metric Flight Levels.
    Depature and approach procedures can be based on feet QFE (AGL), feet QNH
    (MSL) or even metres QFE (AGL). (to be continued... ;-)) )
    Ohh, and you can get fuel by the US Gallon or by litres, but you will use it
    in kgs or lbs on your A/C ;-)
    btw the latter for very practical reasons. The amount of energy carried with
    the fuel load corresponds to the MASS of the fuel and not to the VOLUME.
    As you might see now it can become quite tricky to fly from one country to
    another. But finally it's all a matter of gathering information and
    preparation. If you're well prepared you won't be surprised.......
    This list is by far not exhaustive but it might at least give you an idea
    what you have to cope with if you're flying from Asia via Europe to the US
    (or v.v.)......I really loved that ;-))
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)
    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Oskar Wagner wrote:

    <snip>

    Huh? ;)

    Huw
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > Oskar Wagner wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Huh? ;)
    >
    > Huw

    Sorry, small correction. I was too much in a hurry. Visibility in the states
    of course in Statute Miles (Nautical Miles would have been too easy).
    Oh, and how about this one: Wind forecast in TAF (Terminal Area Forecast)
    based on True North whereas wind indication in METAR based on Magnetic
    North..... TBC ;-)))))
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)
    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Oskar Wagner wrote:
    > "Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >>Oskar Wagner wrote:
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>Huh? ;)
    >>
    >>Huw
    >

    > Sorry, small correction. I was too much in a hurry. Visibility in the states
    > of course in Statute Miles (Nautical Miles would have been too easy).
    > Oh, and how about this one: Wind forecast in TAF (Terminal Area Forecast)
    > based on True North whereas wind indication in METAR based on Magnetic
    > North..... TBC ;-)))))

    That's what I thought. Thanks Oskar.

    Huw
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dallas wrote:

    > "Huw Roberts"
    >
    >>Haha! I would have, but that was such a spectacularly stupid mistake to
    >>make that I fully deserve to look like an idiot. ;)
    >

    > Perhaps not even close to the funniest blunder this year... one of our
    > regulars couldn't figure out why when he set himself up at a specific
    > airport his aircraft was in the middle of the ocean and it sank every time.
    >
    > (It was a seaplane base :-)
    >

    > Dallas

    Is that the one that sparked this?

    http://flightsims.vze.com/caravan

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Dallas wrote:
    >
    >> "Huw Roberts"
    >>
    >>>Haha! I would have, but that was such a spectacularly stupid mistake to
    >>>make that I fully deserve to look like an idiot. ;)
    >>

    >> Perhaps not even close to the funniest blunder this year... one of our
    >> regulars couldn't figure out why when he set himself up at a specific
    >> airport his aircraft was in the middle of the ocean and it sank every
    >> time.
    >>
    >> (It was a seaplane base :-)
    >>

    >> Dallas
    >>

    > Is that the one that sparked this?
    >
    > http://flightsims.vze.com/caravan
    >
    > --
    >
    > boB
    >
    > U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    One of my recent Flight1 C421 (btw a wonderful plane...) homebound
    flights.....
    http://owagner.photosite.com/FSpictures/ (select slideshow)
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)
    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "boB"
    > > (It was a seaplane base :-)
    > Is that the one that sparked this?
    > http://flightsims.vze.com/caravan

    That would be the one!

    ROTFL!

    (perhaps your best work)

    Dallas
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Oskar Wagner"
    > One of my recent Flight1 C421 (btw a wonderful plane...) homebound
    > flights.....
    > http://owagner.photosite.com/FSpictures/ (select slideshow)

    Whoa! Oskar... he shoots... he scores!

    boB better watch out, you've got competition!

    Dallas
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Ha! That's great!

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message news:d12p5c$aou$1@news.hispeed.ch...
    > "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Dallas wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Huw Roberts"

    >>> Perhaps not even close to the funniest blunder this year... one of our
    >>> regulars couldn't figure out why when he set himself up at a specific
    >>> airport his aircraft was in the middle of the ocean and it sank every
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> (It was a seaplane base :-)
    >>>

    >>> Dallas
    >>>

    >> Is that the one that sparked this?
    >>
    >> http://flightsims.vze.com/caravan
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> boB
    >>
    >> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
    >> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
    >
    > One of my recent Flight1 C421 (btw a wonderful plane...) homebound
    > flights.....
    > http://owagner.photosite.com/FSpictures/ (select slideshow)
    > --
    > Oskar
    > (retired captain)
    > Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dallas wrote:

    > "Oskar Wagner"
    >
    >>One of my recent Flight1 C421 (btw a wonderful plane...) homebound
    >>flights.....
    >>http://owagner.photosite.com/FSpictures/ (select slideshow)
    >

    > Whoa! Oskar... he shoots... he scores!
    >
    > boB better watch out, you've got competition!
    >
    > Dallas

    That was great.... I hafta figure that one out. :)

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > One of my recent Flight1 C421 (btw a wonderful plane...) homebound
    > flights.....
    > http://owagner.photosite.com/FSpictures/ (select slideshow)
    > --
    > Oskar
    > (retired captain)
    > Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

    Oskar, wasn't that INCREDIBLY difficult to do? I mean, wwewn't the ILS
    indications reversed when you did that? It would certainly confuse ME! <G>

    --
    Earl Needham
    Clovis, New Mexico USA

    "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Ohh, and you can get fuel by the US Gallon or by litres, but you will use
    it
    > in kgs or lbs on your A/C ;-)
    > btw the latter for very practical reasons. The amount of energy carried
    with
    > the fuel load corresponds to the MASS of the fuel and not to the VOLUME.

    Do I remember correctly an incident some years ago where the aircrew
    asked for x number of GALLONS and the ground crew gave them x number of
    POUNDS instead, and the plane ran out of fuel and crashed?

    --
    Earl Needham
    Clovis, New Mexico USA

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:25:30 +0100, "Oskar Wagner"
    <rengaw@swissonline.ch> brought the following to our attention:

    >"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >> Dallas wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Huw Roberts"

    >>> Perhaps not even close to the funniest blunder this year... one of our
    >>> regulars couldn't figure out why when he set himself up at a specific
    >>> airport his aircraft was in the middle of the ocean and it sank every
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> (It was a seaplane base :-)
    >>>

    >>> Dallas
    >>
    >> Is that the one that sparked this?
    >>
    >> http://flightsims.vze.com/caravan
    >>

    >One of my recent Flight1 C421 (btw a wonderful plane...) homebound
    >flights... http://owagner.photosite.com/FSpictures/ (select slideshow)

    wouldn't fly like that and cuss as much if CoPilot Tweetie was along!!

    http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/tweetie.jpg :)
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:04:05 +0100, "Oskar Wagner"
    <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote:

    >It's quite common in aviation.... ;-)

    Hi Oskar

    I get more a little annoyed when the Discovery Channel (it usually is)
    starts mixing metric, imperial and US measurements all in the same
    sentence.

    James
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Earl Needham" <munged@3lefties.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >> Ohh, and you can get fuel by the US Gallon or by litres, but you will use
    > it
    >> in kgs or lbs on your A/C ;-)
    >> btw the latter for very practical reasons. The amount of energy carried
    > with
    >> the fuel load corresponds to the MASS of the fuel and not to the VOLUME.
    >
    > Do I remember correctly an incident some years ago where the aircrew
    > asked for x number of GALLONS and the ground crew gave them x number of
    > POUNDS instead, and the plane ran out of fuel and crashed?
    >
    > --
    > Earl Needham
    > Clovis, New Mexico USA

    Well, it didn't crash but made a successful "deadstick" landing with only
    minor damage to the A/C (nose gear collapsed). It's nowadays best know as
    the "Gimli Glider". A Google search should reveal some details.
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)
    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > "Earl Needham" <munged@3lefties.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > > Do I remember correctly an incident some years ago where the aircrew
    > > asked for x number of GALLONS and the ground crew gave them x number of
    > > POUNDS instead, and the plane ran out of fuel and crashed?
    > >
    > Well, it didn't crash but made a successful "deadstick" landing with only
    > minor damage to the A/C (nose gear collapsed). It's nowadays best know as
    > the "Gimli Glider". A Google search should reveal some details.

    Oh, was that the one that landed at Gimli? I was thinking of a
    Brazilian airliner that crashed just outside NYC.

    --
    Earl Needham
    Clovis, New Mexico USA

    Earl Needham wrote:
    > "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >
    >>One of my recent Flight1 C421 (btw a wonderful plane...) homebound
    >>flights.....
    >>http://owagner.photosite.com/FSpictures/ (select slideshow)
    >>--
    >>Oskar
    >>(retired captain)
    >>Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
    >

    > Oskar, wasn't that INCREDIBLY difficult to do? I mean, wwewn't the ILS
    > indications reversed when you did that? It would certainly confuse ME! <G>

    Not to mention the HSI, which I certainly would have noticed. Methinks
    Captain Oskar was simply being silly. :D

    Huw
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:43:57 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

    > Well, kinda yes and no ;-) In RL you will have to cope with different units
    > of measurements but only as long as non-aircraft based systems are
    > concerned. The DME will always indicate the distance in the unit it is
    > designed for as it is basically a airborne based runtime measurement. So in
    > a russian A/C (old style, like CS MiG 21) the distance will be indicated in
    > kms, even if it's flying in our airspace whereas our DME's will indicate NM
    > even in Russia.
    > Now for the heavier parts: atmospheric pressure (QNH, GFE) can be indicated
    > in in.Hg. (USA, Canada) or Hectopascal (Europe, Asia, dunno about other
    > countries e.g. Australia) or even mm Hg. (GUS countries). However in the GUS
    > countries also Hectopascal is available on the ATIS and on ATC.
    > Visibility is indicated in kms in Europe and GUS countries, in Nautical
    > Miles in USA and Canada, RVR is indicated in metres or feet. Cloud ceilings
    > can be indicated in metres AGL (GUS states and China) or feet AGL (all the
    > rest). Flight Levels are usually in feet, however part of GUS countries and
    > China use metric Flight Levels.
    > Depature and approach procedures can be based on feet QFE (AGL), feet QNH
    > (MSL) or even metres QFE (AGL). (to be continued... ;-)) )
    > Ohh, and you can get fuel by the US Gallon or by litres, but you will use it
    > in kgs or lbs on your A/C ;-)
    > btw the latter for very practical reasons. The amount of energy carried with
    > the fuel load corresponds to the MASS of the fuel and not to the VOLUME.
    > As you might see now it can become quite tricky to fly from one country to
    > another. But finally it's all a matter of gathering information and
    > preparation. If you're well prepared you won't be surprised.......
    > This list is by far not exhaustive but it might at least give you an idea
    > what you have to cope with if you're flying from Asia via Europe to the US
    > (or v.v.)......I really loved that ;-))

    I've printed that out for future use. Thanks, Oskar.

    I feel like an idiot, but what are GUS states and GUS countries?

    --

    Marcel
    (If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to

    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:43:57 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:
    >
    >> Well, kinda yes and no ;-) In RL you will have to cope with different
    >> units
    >> of measurements but only as long as non-aircraft based systems are
    >> concerned. The DME will always indicate the distance in the unit it is
    >> designed for as it is basically a airborne based runtime measurement. So
    >> in
    >> a russian A/C (old style, like CS MiG 21) the distance will be indicated
    >> in
    >> kms, even if it's flying in our airspace whereas our DME's will indicate
    >> NM
    >> even in Russia.
    >> Now for the heavier parts: atmospheric pressure (QNH, GFE) can be
    >> indicated
    >> in in.Hg. (USA, Canada) or Hectopascal (Europe, Asia, dunno about other
    >> countries e.g. Australia) or even mm Hg. (GUS countries). However in the
    >> GUS
    >> countries also Hectopascal is available on the ATIS and on ATC.
    >> Visibility is indicated in kms in Europe and GUS countries, in Nautical
    >> Miles in USA and Canada, RVR is indicated in metres or feet. Cloud
    >> ceilings
    >> can be indicated in metres AGL (GUS states and China) or feet AGL (all
    >> the
    >> rest). Flight Levels are usually in feet, however part of GUS countries
    >> and
    >> China use metric Flight Levels.
    >> Depature and approach procedures can be based on feet QFE (AGL), feet QNH
    >> (MSL) or even metres QFE (AGL). (to be continued... ;-)) )
    >> Ohh, and you can get fuel by the US Gallon or by litres, but you will use
    >> it
    >> in kgs or lbs on your A/C ;-)
    >> btw the latter for very practical reasons. The amount of energy carried
    >> with
    >> the fuel load corresponds to the MASS of the fuel and not to the VOLUME.
    >> As you might see now it can become quite tricky to fly from one country
    >> another. But finally it's all a matter of gathering information and
    >> preparation. If you're well prepared you won't be surprised.......
    >> This list is by far not exhaustive but it might at least give you an idea
    >> what you have to cope with if you're flying from Asia via Europe to the
    >> US
    >> (or v.v.)......I really loved that ;-))
    >
    > I've printed that out for future use. Thanks, Oskar.
    >
    > I feel like an idiot, but what are GUS states and GUS countries?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Marcel
    > (If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to
    > push it, and when to back off. - Chuck Yeager)

    Sorry for that. GUS is the german abbreviation for the former soviet states
    (Gemeinschaft Unabhängiger Staaten) which are today 12 more or less
    independend countries (Armenia, Aserbaidschan, Belarus, Georgia, Kasachstan,
    Kirgisistan, Moldavia, Russia, Tadschikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and
    Usbekistan). I'm sure there's an equivalent abbreviation in english... ;-)
    --
    Oskar
    (retired captain)
    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Earl Needham" wrote:

    > I was thinking of a Brazilian airliner that crashed just outside NYC.

    I think you might be talking about an Avianca B707.

    From www.airdisaster.com:

    "The aircraft crashed while in a holding pattern awaiting landing at
    New York's Kennedy Airport. After an unsuccessful approach in bad
    weather, the crew executed a missed approach and was put into holding.
    The First Officer declared 'minimum fuel' to ATC but never declared an
    emergency, which would have given the aircraft immediate clearance to
    land. Crew error."

    Marcel
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On 15 Mar 2005 03:32:45 -0800, zoepetier@hotmail.com (Zoepetier)
    wrote:

    >"The aircraft crashed while in a holding pattern awaiting landing at
    >New York's Kennedy Airport. After an unsuccessful approach in bad
    >weather, the crew executed a missed approach and was put into holding.
    >The First Officer declared 'minimum fuel' to ATC but never declared an
    >emergency, which would have given the aircraft immediate clearance to
    >land. Crew error."

    Hi Marcel et al

    FWIW, there's a programme on telly at 21:00 GMT tonight (Tues,
    15/03/05) on the National Geographic Channel about this very accident.
    It'll be repeated at 22:00 on the Nat Geo+1 channel.

    James
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:08:06 GMT, James Hodson wrote:

    > On 15 Mar 2005 03:32:45 -0800, zoepetier@hotmail.com (Zoepetier)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"The aircraft crashed while in a holding pattern awaiting landing at
    >>New York's Kennedy Airport. After an unsuccessful approach in bad
    >>weather, the crew executed a missed approach and was put into holding.
    >>The First Officer declared 'minimum fuel' to ATC but never declared an
    >>emergency, which would have given the aircraft immediate clearance to
    >>land. Crew error."
    >>

    > Hi Marcel et al
    >
    > FWIW, there's a programme on telly at 21:00 GMT tonight (Tues,
    > 15/03/05) on the National Geographic Channel about this very accident.
    > It'll be repeated at 22:00 on the Nat Geo+1 channel.

    Not in Holland.
    NGC usually does air crash investigations on Fridays and Sundays, but I'll
    keep my eyes open this weekend. I remember seeing it at least once a few
    years ago. That thing went down like a brick.

    --

    Marcel
    (If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to
    push it, and when to back off. - Chuck Yeager)
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:06:56 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

    > Sorry for that. GUS is the german abbreviation for the former soviet states
    > (Gemeinschaft Unabhängiger Staaten) which are today 12 more or less
    > independend countries (Armenia, Aserbaidschan, Belarus, Georgia, Kasachstan,
    > Kirgisistan, Moldavia, Russia, Tadschikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and
    > Usbekistan). I'm sure there's an equivalent abbreviation in english... ;-)

    That makes sense. But I think it's still called former-USSR.
    Russia is a European country, so it's more than logical that it uses
    European measurements (I wish the UK would do the same since it's no longer
    an island <g>).

    --

    Marcel
    (I've got a baaad feeling about this.....)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:25:30 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

    > One of my recent Flight1 C421 (btw a wonderful plane...) homebound
    > flights.....
    > http://owagner.photosite.com/FSpictures/ (select slideshow)

    Oskar Oskar Oskar....instruments are everything. You know that. :-)

    --

    Marcel
    (When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:00:48 +0100, Marcel Kuijper
    <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> FWIW, there's a programme on telly at 21:00 GMT tonight (Tues,
    >> 15/03/05) on the National Geographic Channel about this very accident.
    >> It'll be repeated at 22:00 on the Nat Geo+1 channel.
    >
    >Not in Holland.
    >NGC usually does air crash investigations on Fridays and Sundays, but I'll
    >keep my eyes open this weekend. I remember seeing it at least once a few
    >years ago. That thing went down like a brick.

    Hi Marcel

    I've looked back to previous weeks and the Tuesday Air Crash
    Investigations programmes are indeed repeated on Saturday. The Tues
    prog is shown again at 16:00 GMT and 17:00 (Nat Geo Chan +1). I cannot
    see any evidence of a Friday repeat.

    James
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:37:27 GMT, James Hodson
    <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:

    >I've looked back to previous weeks and the Tuesday Air Crash
    >Investigations programmes are indeed repeated on Saturday. The Tues
    >prog is shown again at 16:00 GMT and 17:00 (Nat Geo Chan +1). I cannot
    >see any evidence of a Friday repeat.

    The programme has just finished. Like many in the Air Crash
    Investigations series it spends too much time on the air crash but too
    little on the actual investigation. Nevertheless, the prog is worth
    watching.

    Just IMO, of course.

    James
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:37:27 GMT, James Hodson wrote:

    > Marcel Kuijper wrote:
    >>NGC usually does air crash investigations on Fridays and Sundays, but I'll
    >>keep my eyes open this weekend. I remember seeing it at least once a few
    >>years ago. That thing went down like a brick.

    > I've looked back to previous weeks and the Tuesday Air Crash
    > Investigations programmes are indeed repeated on Saturday. The Tues
    > prog is shown again at 16:00 GMT and 17:00 (Nat Geo Chan +1). I cannot
    > see any evidence of a Friday repeat.

    Our NGC programming schedule is a little different.
    Same programmes as everywhere else, but in a different order.
    And of course plenty of Dutch commercials every 20 minutes or so.

    --

    Marcel
    (If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to
    push it, and when to back off. - Chuck Yeager)

Navigation Microsoft Video Games