Which Inkjet printer to buy?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
October 17, 2004 3:42:39 AM

Dear all

I wonder if I could possibly trouble you for some advice? I want to buy an
A4 inkjet printer. My budget is up to around £100. I would mainly use it for
printing DVD/CDr's, photos and regular general printing of docs. I
therefore would like a CD printing facility but also dont want to spend a
fortune on ink cartidges.

Can anyone suggest good all round printer which would fit the bill? I have
been looking at the Epson photo R200.

Thanks

Dave

More about : inkjet printer buy

October 17, 2004 5:25:14 AM

"Dave" <asd@asd.com> wrote in message
news:p licd.93013$BI5.34532@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Dear all
>
> I wonder if I could possibly trouble you for some advice? I want to buy an
> A4 inkjet printer. My budget is up to around £100. I would mainly use it
for
> printing DVD/CDr's, photos and regular general printing of docs. I
> therefore would like a CD printing facility but also dont want to spend a
> fortune on ink cartidges.
>
> Can anyone suggest good all round printer which would fit the bill? I have
> been looking at the Epson photo R200.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave
The latest Canon range comes to mind as both our USA and UK customers are
all extolling their virtues. They do have that advantage of consistent ink
tanks using the BCI-e3 and BCI-6 and judging by the satisfaction rating
amongst our customers the total cost of ownership (Printer and 2 years ink)
is probably better than Epson.

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/printers...
Tony

Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:29:32 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:42:39 GMT, "Dave" <asd@asd.com> wrote:

>Dear all
>
>I wonder if I could possibly trouble you for some advice? I want to buy an
>A4 inkjet printer. My budget is up to around £100. I would mainly use it for
>printing DVD/CDr's, photos and regular general printing of docs. I
>therefore would like a CD printing facility but also dont want to spend a
>fortune on ink cartidges.
>
>Can anyone suggest good all round printer which would fit the bill? I have
>been looking at the Epson photo R200.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dave

Yes a great printer for its price, and nothing else to touch it..

And you can get those cheap Ink Tec, Ink tanks made in the UK for it.

You just can't loose..

October 18, 2004 12:29:33 AM

<puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:42:39 GMT, "Dave" <asd@asd.com> wrote:
>
> >Dear all
> >
> >I wonder if I could possibly trouble you for some advice? I want to buy
an
> >A4 inkjet printer. My budget is up to around £100. I would mainly use it
for
> >printing DVD/CDr's, photos and regular general printing of docs. I
> >therefore would like a CD printing facility but also dont want to spend a
> >fortune on ink cartidges.
> >
> >Can anyone suggest good all round printer which would fit the bill? I
have
> >been looking at the Epson photo R200.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Dave
> >

> Yes a great printer for its price, and nothing else to touch it..
>

> And you can get those cheap Ink Tec, Ink tanks made in the UK for it.
>
> You just can't loose..

That should be fascinating for a new buyer: within a few posts practically
most of the concerns of experienced users. A Canon Bubblejet (Heat ink
delivery) can burn out printheads. The Peizo quartz (Epson cold electro) can
suffer from ink starvation or apparent head clogging. But, most of my
customers never seem to have a problem with this, which leads us to believe
the UK climate is a good place for Epson printers. Canon's have the cheaper
ink tanks. But it is about total cost of ownership over say 2 years.
In a recent PC-Pro ink usage test across some 14 printers the R300 returned
450 pages text and 250 6x4 photos where they printed until the cartridges
were exhausted. That's 21 pence per 6x4 photo using Epson prices and 9 pence
using the current JetTec cartridge prices.
I would think Dabs or Simply would give you a good price comparison.
Tony

Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:29:34 AM

Tony wrote:

> In a
> recent PC-Pro ink usage test across some 14 printers the R300
> returned 450 pages text and 250 6x4 photos where they printed until
> the cartridges were exhausted. That's 21 pence per 6x4 photo using
> Epson prices and 9 pence using the current JetTec cartridge prices.
> I would think Dabs or Simply would give you a good price comparison.

And what were the results of other printers? Can I read it somewhere in
the Internet? Do you know of any good printer comparison articles in
the Internet?

--
http://www.allegro.pl/show_user_auctions.php?uid=10223
http://www.swistak.pl/user_info_aukcje.html?id=35682

Tony wrote:
> <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:42:39 GMT, "Dave" <asd@asd.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> I wonder if I could possibly trouble you for some advice? I want to
>>> buy an A4 inkjet printer. My budget is up to around £100. I would
>>> mainly use it for printing DVD/CDr's, photos and regular general
>>> printing of docs. I therefore would like a CD printing facility but
>>> also dont want to spend a fortune on ink cartidges.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest good all round printer which would fit the bill?
>>> I have been looking at the Epson photo R200.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Yes a great printer for its price, and nothing else to touch it..
>>

>> And you can get those cheap Ink Tec, Ink tanks made in the UK for
>> it.
>>
>> You just can't loose..
>
> That should be fascinating for a new buyer: within a few posts
> practically most of the concerns of experienced users. A Canon
> Bubblejet (Heat ink delivery) can burn out printheads. The Peizo
> quartz (Epson cold electro) can suffer from ink starvation or
> apparent head clogging. But, most of my customers never seem to have
> a problem with this, which leads us to believe the UK climate is a
> good place for Epson printers. Canon's have the cheaper ink tanks.
> But it is about total cost of ownership over say 2 years.
> In a recent PC-Pro ink usage test across some 14 printers the R300
> returned 450 pages text and 250 6x4 photos where they printed until
> the cartridges were exhausted. That's 21 pence per 6x4 photo using
> Epson prices and 9 pence using the current JetTec cartridge prices.
> I would think Dabs or Simply would give you a good price comparison.
> Tony
>
> Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
> http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
> http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
> The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip

Not that i'm Canon's fan, but according to latest tests, Canon's iP4000 has
way cheapest print cost per page. And Canon's head theoretically can't burn
out, since printer will stop printing when it's out of ink, while there are
several complaints about Epson head clogging.
October 18, 2004 12:29:35 AM

"£ukasz Ledóchowski" <lukled@tlen.pl> wrote in message
> Tony wrote:
>
> > In a
> > recent PC-Pro ink usage test across some 14 printers the R300
> > returned 450 pages text and 250 6x4 photos where they printed until
> > the cartridges were exhausted. That's 21 pence per 6x4 photo using
> > Epson prices and 9 pence using the current JetTec cartridge prices.
> > I would think Dabs or Simply would give you a good price comparison.
>
> And what were the results of other printers? Can I read it somewhere in
> the Internet? Do you know of any good printer comparison articles in
> the Internet?

As stated PC-pro who have most of their articles on line. I'm trying to
compile our users results and add this to those of PC-pro as the question
arises so often. But, it takes time and I don't have much of that :-)
The Canon i560 was Mono (5% coverage ?) 409 pages, 240 6x4 images. cost Mono
1.5pence Photo 11.2 pence.
Epson Stylus 950 Mono 628, Images 628. Cost Mono 2.9 pence , Images 24.1
pence.
In all case the tests were conducted by exhausting the cartridges at one go.
The Epson Stylus C84 (Pigmented) was a clear price leader with 983 Mono
pages and Images 218. Cost Mono 2.4 pence and Images 12.1 pence.All pigment
cartridges.
The JetTec cartridges are aimed at 50% of the Epson prices so you can get a
fair cost comparison from that.
Tony
--
Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip
October 18, 2004 12:29:35 AM

> Not that i'm Canon's fan, but according to latest tests, Canon's iP4000
has
> way cheapest print cost per page. And Canon's head theoretically can't
burn
> out, since printer will stop printing when it's out of ink, while there
are
> several complaints about Epson head clogging.

I think the main complaint I see is that head clogs are avoidable and can be
cleared quite simply. Theoretically is a great word when applied to Canon as
periodically this usenet group and others is sometimes full of users
searching for new Canon printheads ? My experience is that the Canon heat
burst techniques will show signs of wear whereas the Epson slogs on for
longer. If you factor in the Canon cheaper prices for the printer and
equally the cartridges and ease of filling maybe over 2 years of equal use
the Canon would win for most home users.
The typical user however is quite amazed when his familiar old printer
eventually turns its toes up and dies. We are still for instance supplying
Epson 800/850/880 cartridges in some quantity.
Tony

> > Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
> > http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
> > http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
> > The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:29:36 AM

Tony wrote:
> "£ukasz Ledóchowski" <lukled@tlen.pl> wrote in message
>> Tony wrote:
>>
>>> In a
>>> recent PC-Pro ink usage test across some 14 printers the R300
>>> returned 450 pages text and 250 6x4 photos where they printed until
>>> the cartridges were exhausted. That's 21 pence per 6x4 photo using
>>> Epson prices and 9 pence using the current JetTec cartridge prices.
>>> I would think Dabs or Simply would give you a good price comparison.
>>
>> And what were the results of other printers? Can I read it somewhere
>> in the Internet? Do you know of any good printer comparison articles
>> in the Internet?
>
> As stated PC-pro who have most of their articles on line. I'm trying
> to compile our users results and add this to those of PC-pro as the
> question arises so often. But, it takes time and I don't have much of
> that :-)
> The Canon i560 was Mono (5% coverage ?) 409 pages, 240 6x4 images.
> cost Mono
> 1.5pence Photo 11.2 pence.
> Epson Stylus 950 Mono 628, Images 628. Cost Mono 2.9 pence , Images
> 24.1 pence.
> In all case the tests were conducted by exhausting the cartridges at
> one go. The Epson Stylus C84 (Pigmented) was a clear price leader
> with 983 Mono pages and Images 218. Cost Mono 2.4 pence and Images
> 12.1 pence.All pigment cartridges.
> The JetTec cartridges are aimed at 50% of the Epson prices so you can
> get a fair cost comparison from that.
> Tony

From above i see that Epson did print most count of pages, but price per
page is still higher than Canon. Now depends on which one has more
quality...
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:29:36 AM

Tony wrote:
>> Not that i'm Canon's fan, but according to latest tests, Canon's
>> iP4000 has way cheapest print cost per page. And Canon's head
>> theoretically can't burn out, since printer will stop printing when
>> it's out of ink, while there are several complaints about Epson head
>> clogging.
>
> I think the main complaint I see is that head clogs are avoidable and
> can be cleared quite simply. Theoretically is a great word when
> applied to Canon as periodically this usenet group and others is
> sometimes full of users searching for new Canon printheads ? My
> experience is that the Canon heat burst techniques will show signs of
> wear whereas the Epson slogs on for longer. If you factor in the
> Canon cheaper prices for the printer and equally the cartridges and
> ease of filling maybe over 2 years of equal use the Canon would win
> for most home users.
> The typical user however is quite amazed when his familiar old printer
> eventually turns its toes up and dies. We are still for instance
> supplying Epson 800/850/880 cartridges in some quantity.
> Tony

true.. like i said, my i550 died (i think )too soon...
But, if i think, quality etc...of printers do raise fast and in a year or
two it's so improved that a man just wants a new printer...sure, if one
mainly prints text and simple graphics, it's totally different.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:29:36 AM

Tony wrote:

> The Canon i560 was Mono (5% coverage ?) 409 pages, 240 6x4
> images. cost Mono 1.5pence Photo 11.2 pence.
> The Epson Stylus C84 (Pigmented) was a clear price leader
> with 983 Mono pages and Images 218. Cost Mono 2.4 pence and Images
> 12.1 pence.All pigment cartridges.

Thanks. Could you also quote me scores of HP and Lexmark printers?

--
http://www.allegro.pl/show_user_auctions.php?uid=10223
http://www.swistak.pl/user_info_aukcje.html?id=35682
Pozdrawiam, £ukasz Ledóchowski
GG: 503647 lukled@tlen.pl
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:32:26 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:25:14 +0100, "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com> wrote:

>--
>"Dave" <asd@asd.com> wrote in message
>news:p licd.93013$BI5.34532@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Dear all
>>
>> I wonder if I could possibly trouble you for some advice? I want to buy an
>> A4 inkjet printer. My budget is up to around £100. I would mainly use it
>for
>> printing DVD/CDr's, photos and regular general printing of docs. I
>> therefore would like a CD printing facility but also dont want to spend a
>> fortune on ink cartidges.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest good all round printer which would fit the bill? I have
>> been looking at the Epson photo R200.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave
>The latest Canon range comes to mind as both our USA and UK customers are
>all extolling their virtues. They do have that advantage of consistent ink
>tanks using the BCI-e3 and BCI-6 and judging by the satisfaction rating
>amongst our customers the total cost of ownership (Printer and 2 years ink)
>is probably better than Epson.
>
>http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/printers...
>Tony
>
>Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
>http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
>http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
>The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip

But at what Price here the nearest Canon to do CD Printing is some $200 dearer
than the Epson and only has 4 Colours..

Plus Canon print heads do Rot away as its a Bubble Jet..

October 18, 2004 12:47:34 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:25:14 +0100, "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com> wrote:

>--
>"Dave" <asd@asd.com> wrote in message
>news:p licd.93013$BI5.34532@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Dear all
>>
>> I wonder if I could possibly trouble you for some advice? I want to buy an
>> A4 inkjet printer. My budget is up to around £100. I would mainly use it
>for
>> printing DVD/CDr's, photos and regular general printing of docs. I
>> therefore would like a CD printing facility but also dont want to spend a
>> fortune on ink cartidges.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest good all round printer which would fit the bill? I have
>> been looking at the Epson photo R200.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave
>The latest Canon range comes to mind as both our USA and UK customers are
>all extolling their virtues. They do have that advantage of consistent ink
>tanks using the BCI-e3 and BCI-6 and judging by the satisfaction rating
>amongst our customers the total cost of ownership (Printer and 2 years ink)
>is probably better than Epson.
>
>http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/printers...
>Tony
>
>Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
>http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
>http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
>The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip

The Nearest New Canon is the PIXMA iP4000, but its still only a 3 colour
printer, 3 colours and 2 blacks..

It does have one nice feature, that is the Dupex unite..

But I can't stand Bubble Jets..

October 18, 2004 12:47:35 AM

puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:25:14 +0100, "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com>
> wrote:
>

>> --
>> "Dave" <asd@asd.com> wrote in message
>> news:p licd.93013$BI5.34532@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> I wonder if I could possibly trouble you for some advice? I want to
>>> buy an A4 inkjet printer. My budget is up to around ?100. I would
>>> mainly use it
>> for
>>> printing DVD/CDr's, photos and regular general printing of docs. I
>>> therefore would like a CD printing facility but also dont want to
>>> spend a fortune on ink cartidges.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest good all round printer which would fit the bill?
>>> I have been looking at the Epson photo R200.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave
>> The latest Canon range comes to mind as both our USA and UK
>> customers are all extolling their virtues. They do have that
>> advantage of consistent ink tanks using the BCI-e3 and BCI-6 and
>> judging by the satisfaction rating amongst our customers the total
>> cost of ownership (Printer and 2 years ink) is probably better than
>> Epson.
>>
>> http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/printers...
>> Tony
>>
>> Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
>> http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
>> http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
>> The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip
>>

> The Nearest New Canon is the PIXMA iP4000, but its still only a 3
> colour
> printer, 3 colours and 2 blacks..
>
> It does have one nice feature, that is the Dupex unite..
>
> But I can't stand Bubble Jets..

Epson has additional gloss optimizer, while Canon doesn't ...i wonder
why...but i've heard that Epson prints doesn't come as glossy as Canons' .
and that's why gloss optimizer...
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:47:36 AM

SleeperMan wrote:

> Epson has additional gloss optimizer, while Canon doesn't ...i wonder
> why...but i've heard that Epson prints doesn't come as glossy as
> Canons' . and that's why gloss optimizer...

R800 has gloss optimizer because pictures made of pigmented inks
doesn't come as glossy as from dye based.

--
http://www.allegro.pl/show_user_auctions.php?uid=10223
http://www.swistak.pl/user_info_aukcje.html?id=35682
Pozdrawiam, £ukasz Ledóchowski
GG: 503647 lukled@tlen.pl
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:47:37 AM

£ukasz Ledóchowski wrote:
> SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> Epson has additional gloss optimizer, while Canon doesn't ...i wonder
>> why...but i've heard that Epson prints doesn't come as glossy as
>> Canons' . and that's why gloss optimizer...
>
> R800 has gloss optimizer because pictures made of pigmented inks
> doesn't come as glossy as from dye based.

Aha...now from this comes a second question...why does Epson uses pigmented
ink while others use dye ink? It can't be the price...
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:47:38 AM

In article <%Jscd.4396$F6.1225017@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan wrote:
> £ukasz Ledóchowski wrote:
>> SleeperMan wrote:
>>
>>> Epson has additional gloss optimizer, while Canon doesn't ...i wonder
>>> why...but i've heard that Epson prints doesn't come as glossy as
>>> Canons' . and that's why gloss optimizer...
>>
>> R800 has gloss optimizer because pictures made of pigmented inks
>> doesn't come as glossy as from dye based.
>
> Aha...now from this comes a second question...why does Epson uses pigmented
> ink while others use dye ink? It can't be the price...

Pigments will stay the same color for way longer time.

--
Povl H. Pedersen - NoSpam@my.terminal.dk (yes - it works)
Fastnet - IP telefoni: 5 kr/md Se http://www.musimi.dk

Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
> In article <%Jscd.4396$F6.1225017@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan wrote:
>> £ukasz Ledóchowski wrote:

>>> R800 has gloss optimizer because pictures made of pigmented inks
>>> doesn't come as glossy as from dye based.
>>
>> Aha...now from this comes a second question...why does Epson uses
>> pigmented ink while others use dye ink? It can't be the price...
>
> Pigments will stay the same color for way longer time.

Aha...could be...but, let me be pain in the ass...
there *is* another question, though...
if above statement is true, WHY does Canon uses dye ink in expensive
printers and pigment one in cheap ones? Maybe price...?
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:47:40 AM

SleeperMan wrote:

> if above statement is true, WHY does Canon uses dye ink in expensive
> printers and pigment one in cheap ones? Maybe price...?

Canon uses only black pigmented ink in more expensive printers (3BK in
iP3000 and higher). In photo printers pigmented black is useless
because it doesn't mix well with dye based inks and the quality is
worse. It doesn't give durability because color inks are dye.

--
http://www.allegro.pl/show_user_auctions.php?uid=10223
http://www.swistak.pl/user_info_aukcje.html?id=35682
Pozdrawiam, £ukasz Ledóchowski
GG: 503647 lukled@tlen.pl
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:07:50 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:24:47 +0000 (UTC), £ukasz Ledóchowski
<lukled@tlen.pl> wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>
>> The Canon i560 was Mono (5% coverage ?) 409 pages, 240 6x4
>> images. cost Mono 1.5pence Photo 11.2 pence.
>> The Epson Stylus C84 (Pigmented) was a clear price leader
>> with 983 Mono pages and Images 218. Cost Mono 2.4 pence and Images
>> 12.1 pence.All pigment cartridges.
>
>Thanks. Could you also quote me scores of HP and Lexmark printers?

You really., really don't want a Lexmark. They'll come with a one
year warranty and break down completely on day 366 (or day 367 if it's
a leap year). They are the most unreliable inkjets on the market. And
that's not even considering the ridiculous prices they charge for
their cartridges.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hecate (hecate@newsguy.com) writes:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:24:47 +0000 (UTC), £ukasz Ledóchowski
> <lukled@tlen.pl> wrote:
>
>>Tony wrote:
>>
>>> The Canon i560 was Mono (5% coverage ?) 409 pages, 240 6x4
>>> images. cost Mono 1.5pence Photo 11.2 pence.
>>> The Epson Stylus C84 (Pigmented) was a clear price leader
>>> with 983 Mono pages and Images 218. Cost Mono 2.4 pence and Images
>>> 12.1 pence.All pigment cartridges.
>>
>>Thanks. Could you also quote me scores of HP and Lexmark printers?
>
> You really., really don't want a Lexmark. They'll come with a one
> year warranty and break down completely on day 366 (or day 367 if it's
> a leap year). They are the most unreliable inkjets on the market. And
> that's not even considering the ridiculous prices they charge for
> their cartridges.
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

Hasn't happened to me, at least to my Z52, which is 4 years old. Don't
know about the 5700 that preceded it, but I think the problem was a bad
cable. (Didn't worry about it since I'd bought the Z52.) I avoided Epson
becauase of all the clogged head posts, favoring long-term use, which so
far has proved true. Cartridges are expensive but go on sale at Target.

Brendan
October 18, 2004 8:29:19 AM

The iP4000 is a four color, not a three color, CMYK printer. It also has an
additional pigmented black tank for text printing.
--
Ron Cohen

<snipped>

> The Nearest New Canon is the PIXMA iP4000, but its still only a 3 colour
> printer, 3 colours and 2 blacks..
>
> It does have one nice feature, that is the Dupex unite..
>
> But I can't stand Bubble Jets..

October 18, 2004 12:50:05 PM

The gloss optimizer is found in the newest Epson printer(s) which use
pigmented inks. I do not believe Canon has yet sold pigmented ink for
their printers. Pigmented inks, by their very nature, have solid
material in them which doesn't absorb as well into the surface of
papers. Dye inks are mainly carrier and molecular color, so the color
components are very small and very thin and smooth. They either sit
very evenly on top of the paper, or get absorbed and integrated into the
paper,. leaving the surface of a very glossy paper surface very glossy.

Pigmented inks tend to have a rougher and thicker layer, and so a "gloss
optimizer" coats the surface to make it shinier. Also, the papers that
readily handle pigmented ink tend to be less glossy.

Art

SleeperMan wrote:

> puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
>

> Epson has additional gloss optimizer, while Canon doesn't ...i wonder
> why...but i've heard that Epson prints doesn't come as glossy as Canons' .
> and that's why gloss optimizer...

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:57:03 PM

Pigmented inks have much higher permanence in light fading situations
than do dye inks, regardless of paper type. Some dye inks with the
right combination of paper can have reasonable light fade resistance.

Pigmented inks tend to be waterproof and smudge-resistant with most
papers, again with the right paper so can dye.

Art

SleeperMan wrote:

> £ukasz Ledóchowski wrote:
>
>>SleeperMan wrote:
>>

>>>Epson has additional gloss optimizer, while Canon doesn't ...i wonder
>>>why...but i've heard that Epson prints doesn't come as glossy as
>>>Canons' . and that's why gloss optimizer...
>>
>>R800 has gloss optimizer because pictures made of pigmented inks
>>doesn't come as glossy as from dye based.
>

> Aha...now from this comes a second question...why does Epson uses pigmented
> ink while others use dye ink? It can't be the price...

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:15:27 PM

It would appear you both are saying the exact same thing...

You were a bit more specific as to what each black does.

Art

Ron Cohen wrote:

> The iP4000 is a four color, not a three color, CMYK printer. It also has an
> additional pigmented black tank for text printing.

The Nearest New Canon is the PIXMA iP4000, but its still only a 3 colour
> printer, 3 colours and 2 blacks..
>
> It does have one nice feature, that is the Dupex unite..
>
> But I can't stand Bubble Jets..
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:56:08 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> The gloss optimizer is found in the newest Epson printer(s) which use
> pigmented inks. I do not believe Canon has yet sold pigmented ink for
> their printers. Pigmented inks, by their very nature, have solid
> material in them which doesn't absorb as well into the surface of
> papers. Dye inks are mainly carrier and molecular color, so the color
> components are very small and very thin and smooth. They either sit
> very evenly on top of the paper, or get absorbed and integrated into
> the paper,. leaving the surface of a very glossy paper surface very
> glossy.
> Pigmented inks tend to have a rougher and thicker layer, and so a
> "gloss optimizer" coats the surface to make it shinier. Also, the
> papers that readily handle pigmented ink tend to be less glossy.

Canon's black is pigmented...

BTW...i just bought (on resale) some HP semiglossy photo paper, but it's
quite useless in my Canon...either i550 or ip4000.
it's like colors don't absorb, or like printer spits too much of it...
It's fine with other brands of paper, though...
Maybe paper is meant for other type of ink...?
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:59:06 PM

In most cases, black pigmented inks do not play well with colored inks
that are dye. They require different papers and they don't mix well.

As a result today most printer manufacturers which offer pigmented black
ink (which is great for text, because it is usually deep black and tends
to have lower dot gain or bleeding) often also offer a second black
which is dye for missing with the colors for a photographic image.

When I make the distinction between the Epson pigmented ink series
printers and the Canon dye printers, I am speaking about the overall ink
system, not just the black ink.

HP glossy photo quality papers are mainly swellable polymer type, and
some inks do not do well with that paper technology. I believe Canon
tends to do best with Micropore papers.

Art

SleeperMan wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>>The gloss optimizer is found in the newest Epson printer(s) which use
>>pigmented inks. I do not believe Canon has yet sold pigmented ink for
>>their printers. Pigmented inks, by their very nature, have solid
>>material in them which doesn't absorb as well into the surface of
>>papers. Dye inks are mainly carrier and molecular color, so the color
>>components are very small and very thin and smooth. They either sit
>>very evenly on top of the paper, or get absorbed and integrated into
>>the paper,. leaving the surface of a very glossy paper surface very
>>glossy.
>>Pigmented inks tend to have a rougher and thicker layer, and so a
>>"gloss optimizer" coats the surface to make it shinier. Also, the
>>papers that readily handle pigmented ink tend to be less glossy.
>>

> Canon's black is pigmented...
>
> BTW...i just bought (on resale) some HP semiglossy photo paper, but it's
> quite useless in my Canon...either i550 or ip4000.
> it's like colors don't absorb, or like printer spits too much of it...
> It's fine with other brands of paper, though...
> Maybe paper is meant for other type of ink...?

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 3:09:28 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> Pigmented inks have much higher permanence in light fading situations
> than do dye inks, regardless of paper type. Some dye inks with the
> right combination of paper can have reasonable light fade resistance.
>
> Pigmented inks tend to be waterproof and smudge-resistant with most
> papers, again with the right paper so can dye.
>
> Art

Aha.. thanks

> SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> £ukasz Ledóchowski wrote:

>>> R800 has gloss optimizer because pictures made of pigmented inks
>>> doesn't come as glossy as from dye based.
>>

>> Aha...now from this comes a second question...why does Epson uses
>> pigmented ink while others use dye ink? It can't be the price...
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 4:08:47 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> It would appear you both are saying the exact same thing...
>
> You were a bit more specific as to what each black does.
>
> Art

Pigmented black (BCI-3e) is used for text printing, while dye black (BCI-6)
is used for photo printing. Since colors are dye, dye black mix better with
them than pigment one ---> more quality at photos.

> Ron Cohen wrote:
>
>> The iP4000 is a four color, not a three color, CMYK printer. It also
>> has an additional pigmented black tank for text printing.
>
> The Nearest New Canon is the PIXMA iP4000, but its still only a 3
> colour
>> printer, 3 colours and 2 blacks..
>>
>> It does have one nice feature, that is the Dupex unite..
>>
>> But I can't stand Bubble Jets..
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:12:04 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> In most cases, black pigmented inks do not play well with colored inks
> that are dye. They require different papers and they don't mix well.
>
> As a result today most printer manufacturers which offer pigmented
> black ink (which is great for text, because it is usually deep black
> and tends to have lower dot gain or bleeding) often also offer a
> second black which is dye for missing with the colors for a
> photographic image.
> When I make the distinction between the Epson pigmented ink series
> printers and the Canon dye printers, I am speaking about the overall
> ink system, not just the black ink.
>
> HP glossy photo quality papers are mainly swellable polymer type, and
> some inks do not do well with that paper technology. I believe Canon
> tends to do best with Micropore papers.
>
> Art

Agreed. i guess that's why iP4000 has two blacks...
Regarding HP paper...i learned my lesson, i guess...

> SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> The gloss optimizer is found in the newest Epson printer(s) which
>>> use pigmented inks. I do not believe Canon has yet sold pigmented
>>> ink for their printers. Pigmented inks, by their very nature, have
>>> solid material in them which doesn't absorb as well into the
>>> surface of papers. Dye inks are mainly carrier and molecular
>>> color, so the color components are very small and very thin and
>>> smooth. They either sit very evenly on top of the paper, or get
>>> absorbed and integrated into the paper,. leaving the surface of a
>>> very glossy paper surface very glossy.
>>> Pigmented inks tend to have a rougher and thicker layer, and so a
>>> "gloss optimizer" coats the surface to make it shinier. Also, the
>>> papers that readily handle pigmented ink tend to be less glossy.
>>>

>> Canon's black is pigmented...
>>
>> BTW...i just bought (on resale) some HP semiglossy photo paper, but
>> it's quite useless in my Canon...either i550 or ip4000.
>> it's like colors don't absorb, or like printer spits too much of
>> it... It's fine with other brands of paper, though...
>> Maybe paper is meant for other type of ink...?
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:22:00 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:13:56 +0200, "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy>
wrote:

>puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:25:14 +0100, "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> --
>>> "Dave" <asd@asd.com> wrote in message
>>> news:p licd.93013$BI5.34532@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

>>> for

>>> The latest Canon range comes to mind as both our USA and UK
>>> customers are all extolling their virtues. They do have that
>>> advantage of consistent ink tanks using the BCI-e3 and BCI-6 and
>>> judging by the satisfaction rating amongst our customers the total
>>> cost of ownership (Printer and 2 years ink) is probably better than
>>> Epson.
>>>
>>> http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/printers...
>>> Tony
>>>
>>> Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
>>> http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
>>> http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
>>> The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip
>>>

>> The Nearest New Canon is the PIXMA iP4000, but its still only a 3
>> colour
>> printer, 3 colours and 2 blacks..
>>
>> It does have one nice feature, that is the Dupex unite..
>>
>> But I can't stand Bubble Jets..
>>
>Epson has additional gloss optimizer,

NOT IT DOES NOT, only in the R800 and may be up.

> while Canon doesn't ...i wonder
>why...but i've heard that Epson prints doesn't come as glossy as Canons' .
>and that's why gloss optimizer...

Get some facts right next time you post..

October 18, 2004 5:24:03 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:31:38 +0200, "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy>
wrote:

>£ukasz Ledóchowski wrote:
>> SleeperMan wrote:
>>
>>> Epson has additional gloss optimizer, while Canon doesn't ...i wonder
>>> why...but i've heard that Epson prints doesn't come as glossy as
>>> Canons' . and that's why gloss optimizer...
>>
>> R800 has gloss optimizer because pictures made of pigmented inks
>> doesn't come as glossy as from dye based.
>
>Aha...now from this comes a second question...why does Epson uses pigmented
>ink while others use dye ink? It can't be the price...

80 year Life, Dumbo..

Dye inks just don't last..

October 18, 2004 5:26:57 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:34:31 +0200, "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy>
wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>> <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes a great printer for its price, and nothing else to touch it..
>>>

>>> And you can get those cheap Ink Tec, Ink tanks made in the UK for
>>> it.
>>>
>>> You just can't loose..
>>
>> That should be fascinating for a new buyer: within a few posts
>> practically most of the concerns of experienced users. A Canon
>> Bubblejet (Heat ink delivery) can burn out printheads. The Peizo
>> quartz (Epson cold electro) can suffer from ink starvation or
>> apparent head clogging. But, most of my customers never seem to have
>> a problem with this, which leads us to believe the UK climate is a
>> good place for Epson printers. Canon's have the cheaper ink tanks.
>> But it is about total cost of ownership over say 2 years.
>> In a recent PC-Pro ink usage test across some 14 printers the R300
>> returned 450 pages text and 250 6x4 photos where they printed until
>> the cartridges were exhausted. That's 21 pence per 6x4 photo using
>> Epson prices and 9 pence using the current JetTec cartridge prices.
>> I would think Dabs or Simply would give you a good price comparison.
>> Tony
>>
>> Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
>> http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas
>> http://www.inkylink.co.uk UK recorded post next day
>> The home of the 30% more JetTec ink reset chip
>
>Not that i'm Canon's fan, but according to latest tests, Canon's iP4000 has
>way cheapest print cost per page. And Canon's head theoretically can't burn
>out, since printer will stop printing when it's out of ink, while there are
>several complaints about Epson head clogging.

No, its the Ink that corrodes the printhead, Head Rot..

The iP4000 is only a 3 colour Printer.

October 18, 2004 5:34:54 PM

wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>
>> The Canon i560 was Mono (5% coverage ?) 409 pages, 240 6x4
>> images. cost Mono 1.5pence Photo 11.2 pence.
>> The Epson Stylus C84 (Pigmented) was a clear price leader
>> with 983 Mono pages and Images 218. Cost Mono 2.4 pence and Images
>> 12.1 pence.All pigment cartridges.
>
>Thanks. Could you also quote me scores of HP and Lexmark printers?

No need as they are the Dearest out, no comparison..

October 18, 2004 10:01:29 PM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 04:29:19 GMT, "Ron Cohen"
<drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>he iP4000 is a four color, not a three color, CMYK printer. It also has an
>additional pigmented black tank for text printing.
>--
>Ron Cohen

Its a 3 Colour, Black is NOT a COLOUR..

The Epson R200/210 is a 5 Colour, Plus Black..

><snipped>
>>

>> The Nearest New Canon is the PIXMA iP4000, but its still only a 3 colour
>> printer, 3 colours and 2 blacks..
>>
>> It does have one nice feature, that is the Dupex unite..
>>
>> But I can't stand Bubble Jets..

October 19, 2004 6:31:33 AM

On 18 Oct 2004 01:28:14 GMT, ck183@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Brendan R.
Wehrung) wrote:

>Hasn't happened to me, at least to my Z52, which is 4 years old. Don't
>know about the 5700 that preceded it, but I think the problem was a bad
>cable. (Didn't worry about it since I'd bought the Z52.) I avoided Epson
>becauase of all the clogged head posts, favoring long-term use, which so
>far has proved true. Cartridges are expensive but go on sale at Target.

You're one of the lucky ones. Virtually every post on this ng about
Lexmark is to do with them breaking down in one way or another.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

So are you saying that black isn't a color? Why else would Canon have both a
dye based black and pigmented black? Gee after all those years of owning
print shops and using black ink I never once realized that black wasn't a
color. I bet Pantone will be surprised to learn that black isn't a color.
BTW, do you know what the K in CMYK stands for?
--
Ron Cohen

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 04:29:19 GMT, "Ron Cohen"
> <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >he iP4000 is a four color, not a three color, CMYK printer. It also has
an
> >additional pigmented black tank for text printing.
> >--
> >Ron Cohen
>

> Its a 3 Colour, Black is NOT a COLOUR..
>
> The Epson R200/210 is a 5 Colour, Plus Black..
>

> ><snipped>
> >>

> >> The Nearest New Canon is the PIXMA iP4000, but its still only a 3
colour
> >> printer, 3 colours and 2 blacks..
> >>
> >> It does have one nice feature, that is the Dupex unite..
> >>
> >> But I can't stand Bubble Jets..

-

October 19, 2004 2:15:05 PM

Ron Cohen wrote:
> So are you saying that black isn't a color? Why else would Canon have
> both a dye based black and pigmented black? Gee after all those years
> of owning print shops and using black ink I never once realized that
> black wasn't a color. I bet Pantone will be surprised to learn that
> black isn't a color. BTW, do you know what the K in CMYK stands for?

Nice one... this link

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CMYK.html

explains that black IS a color...

BTW...i didn't know what this K means, until just now...it's stupid, really,
why it isn't B...

> <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 04:29:19 GMT, "Ron Cohen"
>> <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> he iP4000 is a four color, not a three color, CMYK printer. It also
>>> has an additional pigmented black tank for text printing.
>>> --
>>> Ron Cohen
>>

>> Its a 3 Colour, Black is NOT a COLOUR..
>>
>> The Epson R200/210 is a 5 Colour, Plus Black..
>>

>>> <snipped>

>>> -

October 19, 2004 2:50:20 PM

B is not used for black because it is used for Blue in abbreviation.

I'm not sure how it became K, but I imagine it was first BK, but that
looked like Blue something, so they just went to K.

In light, black is the absence of color, and all colors together make
white. In dyes and pigments black is the mixture of all color, and
white is the absence of color.

Art

SleeperMan wrote:

> Ron Cohen wrote:
>
>>So are you saying that black isn't a color? Why else would Canon have
>>both a dye based black and pigmented black? Gee after all those years
>>of owning print shops and using black ink I never once realized that
>>black wasn't a color. I bet Pantone will be surprised to learn that
>>black isn't a color. BTW, do you know what the K in CMYK stands for?
>

> Nice one... this link
>
> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CMYK.html
>

> explains that black IS a color...
>
> BTW...i didn't know what this K means, until just now...it's stupid, really,
> why it isn't B...
>

>><puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message

>>>Its a 3 Colour, Black is NOT a COLOUR..
>>>
>>>The Epson R200/210 is a 5 Colour, Plus Black..

>>moments

>>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 20, 2004 6:29:56 AM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:15:05 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

>Nice one... this link
>
>http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CMYK.html
>

>explains that black IS a color...

But not really very accurate :)

Try this from Britannica:

the achromatic color of least lightness characteristically perceived
to belong to objects that neither reflect nor transmit light

and,

total or nearly total absence of light

As you see, neither agree that black is a colour precisely :)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hecate wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:15:05 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>

>> Nice one... this link
>>
>> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CMYK.html
>>

>> explains that black IS a color...
>>
> But not really very accurate :)
>
> Try this from Britannica:
>
> the achromatic color of least lightness characteristically perceived
> to belong to objects that neither reflect nor transmit light
>
> and,
>
> total or nearly total absence of light
>
> As you see, neither agree that black is a colour precisely :)

let's say it's not Black ,but very, very dark grey...grey is a color,
right... :-)
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 8:00:24 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:33:46 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

>> As you see, neither agree that black is a colour precisely :)
>
>let's say it's not Black ,but very, very dark grey...grey is a color,
>right... :-)

LOL!

--

Hecate - The Real One